The Student Room Group

C2 circle question.

The circle with equation - 6x+y² - 4y = 0 crosses the y-axis at the origin and the point A.

The first question asks me to find the co-ordinates of A. Now I feel this question is meant to be dead easy but I just can't see where to start with it.

I rearranged it to (x-3)² + (y-2)² = 13

But I still don't think that would help me.
When something crosses the y axis, what does it tell you about one of the co-ordinates? Think of any co-ordinates across the y axis. They all have something in common.
Original post by SeanFM
When something crosses the y axis, what does it tell you about one of the co-ordinates? Think of any co-ordinates across the y axis. They all have something in common.

That x = 0
Bingo. Now find the y co-ordinate and you've found the co-ordinates of A. :cool:
Original post by SeanFM
Bingo. Now find the y co-ordinate and you've found the co-ordinates of A. :cool:

Sorry for being really dumb but i'm still slightly confused. :s-smilie:

I'm confused am I not looking for a completely new point? If something passes through the origin then it's coordinates would be (0,0)

Sorry again for being really confused :rolleyes:
Reply 5
You know that x=0 at A so stick zero in for x in the equation. That'll give you a nice quadratic in y.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In some sense yes, you're looking for a new point. There are two points on the circle where x is 0. One of them is the origin as you've said, and the other one is also on the y axis but has a different y co-ordinate.

And above ^^

Oh, and some advice for circle questions, sketch them if you can. In this case a radius of sqrt 13 is a bit icky though. But if you called it 3.5 you'd probably be able to draw a helpful circle.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
In some sense yes, you're looking for a new point. There are two points on the circle where x is 0. One of them is the origin as you've said, and the other one is also on the y axis but has a different y co-ordinate.

And above ^^

Oh I see now, So - 4y = 0

y(y-4) = 0

Therefore my coordinates would be (0,4) right? :smile:
Yeah, and just as a sanity check y=0 (the origin) also satisfies that quadratic. You've found A.
Original post by SeanFM
Yeah, and just as a sanity check y=0 (the origin) also satisfies that quadratic. You've found A.

Thanks a lot guys, I did make that a lot more difficult than it needed to be!:biggrin:

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest