The Student Room Group

Changes in motion - Quick question

Ok so i have two velocities in vector form, and the question is wanting its change in speed and in momentum, ive wondered what the actual difference is in this and how you would work out each one? is speed like the numbers squared, then added then square rooted?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PanthersWill
Ok so i have two velocities in vector form, and the question is wanting its change in speed and in momentum, ive wondered what the actual difference is in this and how you would work out each one? is speed like the numbers squared, then added then square rooted?

Indeed ... The speed is the magnitude of the vector
Original post by TenOfThem
Indeed ... The speed is the magnitude of the vector
Ok so what would be the way of working out the momentum? I always get confused
Ok so what would be the way of working out the momentum? I always get confused

Momentum is mv

As stated, the question is asking you to calculate a scalar quantity (change in speed) and a vector quantity (change in momentum). Is this actually how the question is worded?
Original post by atsruser
As stated, the question is asking you to calculate a scalar quantity (change in speed) and a vector quantity (change in momentum). Is this actually how the question is worded?

Question is, A ball of mass 100 grams is hit so it changes its velocity from 4i+3jms-1 to 3i+4jms-1. What is its change in speed and what is change in momentum
Question is, A ball of mass 100 grams is hit so it changes its velocity from 4i+3jms-1 to 3i+4jms-1. What is its change in speed and what is change in momentum

And, are you ok with the answer now?
Original post by TenOfThem
And, are you ok with the answer now?

Im pretty sure i know the speed, just a question of the momentum, still not sure how to work that one out, dont seem to remember going through how to work that one out in a lesson
Im pretty sure i know the speed, just a question of the momentum, still not sure how to work that one out, dont seem to remember going through how to work that one out in a lesson

You need to multiply by 0.1 to give the momentums and then subtract one from the other to find the difference
Oh is that it, We have done that then haha, i just was thinking about it too much i guess

Quick Reply

Latest