The Student Room Group

Why is my hairline receding? 18 Y/O (Pics)

Ok, the past 2 years my hairline has beeb receding and now it's getting to the point where I am feeling very self conscious about it. My dad/grandads have all has very good hair and the earliest any of them lost as much hair as I have was in their 40s... My uncle (to whom I'm blood related) is however completely bald and lost all of his hair around 16... Are there any good hairstyles I can try that can mask this or so something? Suggestions are appreciated.

Screenshot_2015-01-13-01-16-52.jpg
Reply 1
Have you gone to the doctors about this? It's better to be safe than sorry.
Original post by TRN
Ok, the past 2 years my hairline has beeb receding and now it's getting to the point where I am feeling very self conscious about it. My dad/grandads have all has very good hair and the earliest any of them lost as much hair as I have was in their 40s... My uncle (to whom I'm blood related) is however completely bald and lost all of his hair around 16... Are there any good hairstyles I can try that can mask this or so something? Suggestions are appreciated.

It maybe be a genetic thing, nothing you can do about it. Its life.

It may be health related. Are you eating right and getting exercise. Go to doctors also.
Reply 3
it's down to genes
the only thing you can do is try to grow the back longer and comb it over
Reply 4
Would have recommended Caboki, but I'm not quite sure it'll work in your case.
Original post by TRN

You could try wearing a top hat :biggrin: everyone would admire it and not notice your hairline (which btw I think looks fine)
Original post by TRN

It's called androgenic alopecia and more commonly known as male pattern baldness.

There are products you can use to stem the loss but I don't think any are available on the NHS.

Best advice is to speak to your GP so a proper diagnosis can be made and rule out any other causes.
Original post by tyqo
it's down to genes
the only thing you can do is try to grow the back longer and comb it over
Nooooooo. Not a comb over!

Original post by TRN

Here's the bottom line, only these few things available now have any track record of effectiveness:

1) Finasteride. A daily pill, stops or slows further damage to follicles.
2) Dutasteride. Finasteride but more powerful, ie. more effectiveness but more side effects.
3) Minoxidil. A liquid or foam that you rub in twice daily, stimulates new growth. Messy stuff.
4) Ketoconazole. A shampoo intended for dandruff but also helps with this. Used once or twice a week.

They don't work for everyone, and number 3 is such a hassle that I will never bother with it, but I reckon if you're gonna do anything then do 1) and 4) immediately and indefinitely. It takes zero effort and costs me under £1 per day. I noticed recession at 21. All men on my dad's side lost all of theirs in their 20s and I reckon doing 1) or 2) as well as 4) is the only reason I'm almost 27 with still a good head of hair. Act soon because keeping it is a lot easier than regrowing it.
(edited 9 years ago)
what did u do in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest