The Student Room Group

31% of males would rape if no consequences, study reveals. Men is this you?

Scroll to see replies

No I would not.
Original post by anastas
Sexual abuse and rape are never never never ever justified.
Any person who says that they would rape is a dangerous *******.

This is a hypothetical. Stop getting your knickers in a twist. :rolleyes:
Original post by Master Jack
This is a hypothetical. Stop getting your knickers in a twist. :rolleyes:

Considering how hard it is to get a conviction for rape, there are circumstances where it's not nearly as hypothetical as you seem to think.
Oh I see, interesting. What if you could rape a guy without consequences? Then again you may have to grab your trusty chloroform rag before you attempt to rape your hot date. :rofl:

I wouldn't, no.

I find sex so much more enjoyable with close body and eye contact. :flutter:
Original post by og.east
didn't you know that money just grows at the bank? out of nothing?

it kind of does though...
Original post by SmashConcept
Considering how hard it is to get a conviction for rape, there are circumstances where it's not nearly as hypothetical as you seem to think.

This doesn't even make sense because this hypothetical wouldn't have any victims or abuse or violence this is why it's a hypothetical unconvicted rapes have victims they have situations that arise after the fact like coming into contact with the attacker perhaps even reporting to the police if you are not too ashamed. I think you and a select few are being particularly unreasonable and certainly boring.
I don't really care about people making bad extrapolations from the study. I care about your assertion, which was that the study itself was bull****. Also, how do you think participants are usually selected for studies in general. It is pretty common for them to be 1. in the vicinity of a research institution and 2. compensated for their time. If every study that recruited students by offering extra credit were bull****, science would have to take quite a few steps back.

Ok my bad, maybe the study itself isn't bull****, I don't know nearly enough about academic research to comment. Perhaps I worded my post poorly, but my issue is with the tarnishing of the whole male college population with that tiny study.
no THANK YOU very much ! why would you wanna do it if the other person ain't enjoy it ? can you imagine just doin ur thing while the victim is crying and ****, that would emotionally scar me

anyone who says yes has a deep down passion to rape, that makes you scum to me
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
it kind of does though...

this is true
This doesn't even make sense because this hypothetical wouldn't have any victims or abuse or violence this is why it's a hypothetical unconvicted rapes have victims they have situations that arise after the fact like coming into contact with the attacker perhaps even reporting to the police if you are not too ashamed. I think you and a select few are being particularly unreasonable and certainly boring.

I don't really know what you're talking about because this is one of the unreadable run on sentences I've ever seen.

Are you asking me if I would rape someone if hypothetically you change the definition of rape to "consensual sex without a victim?" Um... yes. Now let me try. Would you murder someone if hypothetically murder really meant "bring peace to Gaza?"
Is this hypothetical situation in a world where there was laws against raping and they all just scrapped them because I can see alot of people doing it just because its now legal contrary to if it was allways legal.

Personally, I'm not sure. I want to believe that I wouldn't do such a thing but I don't fully trust myself here.
Reply 31
I highly doubt that the people who said yes will comment on this thread lest they get lynched by the baffled and appalled people of TSR whose sensibilities were crushed by those who were bold enough to state that they would give into their natural primitive desire to mate :rolleyes:
I don't really care about people making bad extrapolations from the study. I care about your assertion, which was that the study itself was bull****. Also, how do you think participants are usually selected for studies in general. It is pretty common for them to be 1. in the vicinity of a research institution and 2. compensated for their time. If every study that recruited students by offering extra credit were bull****, science would have to take quite a few steps back.

Have you read what the study actually asked the men?

Q: Would you ever held someone down whilst having sexual intercourse with them?

Thats not the exact wording but that's essentially one of the questions which are used to gauge it. The questions then progress to 'would you hold someone down if it had no consequences' which I'm not going to lie, I would read as 'if there was consent' personally.

The study is bull, clickbait. Sorry.
(edited 9 years ago)
1. The number of participants is very low and therefore it is easy to suggest the research methods used are poor
2. The findings therefore indicate, whilst probably inconclusive, that 69% of males either wouldn't or wouldn't know what they'd do
3. It is a fact in a lawless society more people would be willing to commit more crimes of any nature (history tells us this)
What does it mean that there's no consequences? As in punishment? Otherwise I would do what ever the **** I want if everything was going to be fine and dandy.
I haven't read the article fairs, but what absolute bull. Just because hypothetically there was no rules in play, it doesn't meant men who previously were able to self control themselves would lose all ability to.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Have you read what the study actually asked the men?

Q: Would you ever held someone down whilst having sexual intercourse with them?

Thats not the exact wording but that's essentially one of the questions which are used to gauge it. The questions then progress to 'would you hold someone down if it had no consequences' which I'm not going to lie, I would read as 'if there was consent' personally.

The study is bull, clickbait. Sorry.

You are either being incredibly disingenuous by suggesting that is the question to which 31% of participants responded yes, or suggesting that the researchers committed academic fraud. That is ONE OF the questions used, but it is not the one quoted for the 31% figure. The 31% figure is how many expressed a willingness of "forcing a female to do something sexual she didn't want to do" in those exact words. When the wording of the question was simply "rape" the number dropped to 13%. The question you brought up actually refers to bondage and is part of the Attraction to Sexual Aggression Scale, but so is "deep kissing" (necking). The authors of this study did use that scale, but those question is essentially a dummy for the purposes of their research, since they didn't quote the answer. It is insanely inaccurate to suggest that they used the answer to the bondage question as a proxy definition for rape, and I'm shocked that you would do it since both the study and the referenced ASA are available online (the study through the article, and the ASA on the first page of google when you check the study's references). Your post reads as if you have not read either document, but rather a summary on some men's rights blog.

The study http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/vio.2014.0022

The ASA https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=The+attraction+to+sexual+aggression+scale&oq=The+attraction+to+sexual+aggression+scale&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64l3&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

edited because my initial quote was inaccurate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jtking3000
What does it mean that there's no consequences? As in punishment? Otherwise I would do what ever the **** I want if everything was going to be fine and dandy.

it's meant ti be self-defined. I.e. for someone no consequences may mean no punishment for someone else it would mean that the victim's temperament wouldn't be affected or perhaps they wouldn't even know.
Why the ****, consequence or not, would ever consider to rape someone?!
it's meant ti be self-defined. I.e. for someone no consequences may mean no punishment for someone else it would mean that the victim's temperament wouldn't be affected or perhaps they wouldn't even know.

You are incredibly misinformed and like Hal.E.Lujah you do not appear to have read the study. "No consequences" is very clearly defined by Malamuth's ASA. The exact wording is "if you could be assured that no one would know and that you could in no way be punished for engaging in the following acts, how likely, if at all, would you be to commit such acts?"
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending