The Student Room Group

Going out with a 45 year old.

Have any girls been with an older man. Is 45 too old in your opinion? Age is just a number to me but my parents are being judgemental. He really makes me feel special, says I'm the first in ages and I like the fact that he is mature not silly and has good prospects. WDYT?

Scroll to see replies

It might help if you disclose your age.
Original post by Anonymous
Have any girls been with an older man. Is 45 too old in your opinion? Age is just a number to me but my parents are being judgemental. He really makes me feel special, says I'm the first in ages and I like the fact that he is mature not silly and has good prospects. WDYT?

As long as you are old enough and legal, that should be fine.

Please ensure that you think about it before making a decision. There is a story about Russell Brand where he was accused of dating a 16 year old and it’s being viewed negatively when she was legal.

Honestly, in my opinion i think that if you feel he is sincere and you are old enough to handle your dating life then YDY girl. As long as you have in mind that your parents are just trying to look out for you and that you should go to them first if things go south then your on the right track. No one has the right to judge your dating life.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
It might help if you disclose your age.

I'm 19.
I'm 19.

how do your parents feel about this…

Honestly, it's the age gap that is bothersome and that's what makes him 'too old' - he's old enough to be your dad. It's not that your parents are judgemental, but they're just concerned as any rational parents would be. It's your choice at the end of the day, but do look out for yourself and keep yourself safe.
Reply 7
Your life. You're an adult. So do what you want.
Reply 8

I'm 19.

You're absolutely right. Age is just a number. But you should also comprehend that there's a significant amount of discrepancy between 10 and 100. So, keeping your age in mind, that's way too much from my perspective and I know why your parents are being judgemental but I won't say they're wrong from their viewpoints because they're looking at the whole picture which you might not be doing so. Anyway, the rest is up to you. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 9
He really makes me feel special, says I'm the first in ages and I like the fact that he is mature not silly and has good prospects.

If he's such a catch, why isn't he attracting and dating women closer to his own age? Why are you the 'first in ages'? What do you have in common with him?
yea, the age gap is too much! and you are too young to understand that. a 40 yrs old marrying a 60years old is = age is just a number. but
19yrs to 45yrs = ignorance.
This difference ist just numbers, your are not matured enough to handle the gap yet ! but if its OK by you if you get divorced in few years time when you are much wiser then go for it it's an adventure!
NOTE: age is truly a number in Rship, however keep on mind that maturity is the key.
I am.married to a younger person and I tell you this,the stress ist worth it!
Legal but sounds very iffy tbh. You’re at completely different life stages and sounds like there could potentially be a power imbalance.

Age is just a number, ignore the hate
How did you meet/get together?
Original post by Surnia
If he's such a catch, why isn't he attracting and dating women closer to his own age? Why are you the 'first in ages'? What do you have in common with him?

If an international dater is such a catch, why isn't he dating women from his own country?
If a cross-ethnicity dater is such a catch, why isn't he dating women from his own ethnicity?
If a cross-religious beliefs dater is such a catch, why isn't he dating women from the same faith?
If a ginger haired man is such a catch, why isn't he dating women with the same hair colour as him?
If a man with a mole on his upper back is such a catch, why isn't he dating women with a mole on their upper back?

If Mr 45 and the Original Poster are compatible sexually, how they resolve conflict, earning-spending-investing money, number of children desired, where they want to live in the world and they love each other, they have a good chance of having a great relationship together.

2 jig-saw pieces can be very different shapes, but if they fit together in the places where it counts then they are right for each other.
Original post by Surnia

He may choose to not date a woman who is 40. Leonardo DiCaprio does not date above 25 and nobody would doubt that he is a catch for women of his own age. Hence why some choose to shame him.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Legal but sounds very iffy tbh. You’re at completely different life stages and sounds like there could potentially be a power imbalance.

Power imbalance? She is not dating her line manager or CEO.
Original post by Wired_1800
Power imbalance? She is not dating her line manager or CEO.

Of course, because power imbalances can only occur in those situations.
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Of course, because power imbalances can only occur in those situations.

They don't work together. Power imbalances can occur in many ways. She could be dirt poor and he could be a member of the Rothschild banking family.

With that mindset, poor women should stick to poor lads to avoid potential imbalances of power.
(edited 7 months ago)
it always amazes me how many men don't realise that defending situations like this so angrily is telling on themselves

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending