The Student Room Group

Summation

Hello I know that the summation of r^2 from r=1 to r=n is [n(n+1)(2n+1)]/6, but I wasn't able to derive it. My approach was to write it as 1,1+2+1,1+4+4,1+6+9... but it didn't get me anywhere. A bit of aid would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Spandy
Hello I know that the summation of r^2 from r=1 to r=n is [n(n+1)(2n+1)]/6, but I wasn't able to derive it. My approach was to write it as 1,1+2+1,1+4+4,1+6+9... but it didn't get me anywhere. A bit of aid would be much appreciated.

there are several different proofs

e.g induction

or

method of differences with a choice of suitable identities
Reply 2
Oh crap, induction had totally slipped out of my mind, thanks!!
Reply 3
Original post by Spandy
Oh crap, induction had totally slipped out of my mind, thanks!!

my pleasure
Do you know how to derive Σk? Whatever method you used for this also applies here!
Original post by NoNewFriends
Do you know how to derive Σk? Whatever method you used for this also applies here!

No it doesn't

Unless I have completely misunderstood what you are suggesting
Original post by TenOfThem
No it doesn't

Unless I have completely misunderstood what you are suggesting

You know a lot more than I know so I'm probably wrong but which method do you have in mind that works for Σk but doesn't for Σk²?
You know a lot more than I know so I'm probably wrong but which method do you have in mind that works for Σk but doesn't for Σk²?

Standard proof for the sum of the first n numbers
Standard proof for the sum of the first n numbers
Which one is the standard one?

Write the numbers in reverse
Add to the original series
Half

Let:
Sn=k=1nkS_n= \displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n k
Then
Sn=1+2+...+(n1)+n[br]Sn=n+(n1)+...+2+1[br]2Sn=(n+1)+(n+1)+...+(n+1)+(n+1)n  times[br]Sn=n(n+1)2S_n=1+2+. . .+(n-1)+n[br]\Rightarrow S_n=n+(n-1)+. . .+2 +1[br]\Rightarrow 2S_n=\underbrace{(n+1)+(n+1)+. . .+(n+1)+(n+1)}_{\text{n \ times}}[br]\Rightarrow S_n=\dfrac{n(n+1)}{2}
Reply 11

Hurrah for Joostan. Or simply use the formula for arithmetic progressions
I wrote this a long time back on my website (http://www.whitegroupmaths.com/2010/04/series-sequences-and-mathematical.html see Q6), hopefully it helps. Peace.

ss6.jpg
I wrote this a long time back on my website (http://www.whitegroupmaths.com/2010/04/series-sequences-and-mathematical.html see Q6), hopefully it helps. Peace.

ss6.jpg

(Click on the image to enlarge)
Original post by Spandy
Hurrah for Joostan. Or simply use the formula for arithmetic progressions

You were looking for proof
Reply 15
You were looking for proof

Uhh, I must be drunk.
My bad...
Original post by WhiteGroupMaths

Or similarly but with r(r+1)(r+2) - (r-1)r(r+1) = 3r(r+1).

Quick Reply

Latest