The Student Room Group

Learning ahead in FM

My school is doing the Edexcel exam board and we will do Further Pure and Further Mechanics. I saw on ICL's page that Further math is put at a higher priority than Computer Science for Computer Science, so I want to learn some topics ahead of time to ensure familiarity in hopes that it will make preparing for STEP papers better.

Currently, we have only studied Complex Numbers, argand diagrams, summations (standard values), and induction proofs (not for matrices), I have also looked into roots of polynomials and volumes of revolutions.

Are there any topics that can be self taught without many prerequisites? If they have A level math content as a prerequisite I can learn that first.
Reply 1
You can learn hyperbolic functions and polar coordinates as they're the topics that's not really linked to any year 1 knowledge.

Polar coordinates can be confusing at first but it's still easy to learn as it's just substituting values and integration.

Hyperbolics are just trigonometry but with multiple sign changes for identities and just exponentials and natural logs.

If you have any more q's, feel free to ask
Reply 2
Original post by Nughm
My school is doing the Edexcel exam board and we will do Further Pure and Further Mechanics. I saw on ICL's page that Further math is put at a higher priority than Computer Science for Computer Science, so I want to learn some topics ahead of time to ensure familiarity in hopes that it will make preparing for STEP papers better.

Currently, we have only studied Complex Numbers, argand diagrams, summations (standard values), and induction proofs (not for matrices), I have also looked into roots of polynomials and volumes of revolutions.

Are there any topics that can be self taught without many prerequisites? If they have A level math content as a prerequisite I can learn that first.

Try the material here: https://www.drfrost.org/courses.php?coid=352
Reply 3
Original post by Nughm

So I have an offer from imperial for Computer Science for 2024 entry so I think I could shed some light here.

The STEP condition as part of the offer is usually for STEP II. Now I just saw the new Computing page with the updated requirements and nothing much has changed except the standard offer conditions that they will be handing out (moved from A*AAA to 2 A stars and 2 As for applicants with 4 A levels) and the fact that you have to do the TMUA instead of Imperial's own test now.

So I would say if you are applying to Oxbridge, apply to Oxford, not Cambridge, because if you mess up the TMUA, you not only ruin your Cambridge chances, but also your Imperial ones as well.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS MY HUMBLE OPINION.
I don't want this to influence your decision too much but if I was in your position, I would go for Oxford.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by vnayak
So I have an offer from imperial for Computer Science for 2024 entry so I think I could shed some light here.

The STEP condition as part of the offer is usually for STEP II. Now I just saw the new Computing page with the updated requirements and nothing much has changed except the standard offer conditions that they will be handing out (moved from A*AAA to 2 A stars and 2 As for applicants with 4 A levels) and the fact that you have to do the TMUA instead of Imperial's own test now.

So I would say if you are applying to Oxbridge, apply to Oxford, not Cambridge, because if you mess up the TMUA, you not only ruin your Cambridge chances, but also your Imperial ones as well.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS MY HUMBLE OPINION.
I don't want this to influence your decision too much but if I was in your position, I would go for Oxford.

So just to confirm: TMUA is done in year 13 in the autumn term and STEP II is done in the summer term after the A level exams?
Reply 5
Original post by Nughm
So just to confirm: TMUA is done in year 13 in the autumn term and STEP II is done in the summer term after the A level exams?

Yes you are correct on the whole but you sit the STEP DURING the A level exams (unless it's STEP III I think). You sit the TMUA in mid-October to late November. I believe I sat my TMUA on the 18th of October and I'm going to be doing the STEP this year on the 5th of June.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest