The Student Room Group

Collaboration between Gaddafi and British intelligence greater than previously though

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/22/cooperation-british-spies-gaddafi-libya-revealed-official-papers

There have been some astounding accusations made this morning in the Guardian.

It has been alleged that Libyan agents were allowed by British intelligence to operate on British soil, intimidating Libyans who had been granted asylum.

If true, that is incredible and deeply troubling. I reflexively support the intelligence services, I don't accept and indeed resent the conspiracy theory view of the world. Most people in that area are dedicated and hardworking civil servants.

Having said that, my belief in the rule of law comes before that. If we have granted people asylum, we have a legal obligation to uphold their human rights and treat them as our own. Imagine if the intelligence services had exposed, say, a former Russian national to intimidation by the SVR because we didn't like their politics? This should be the subject of a judicial inquiry
Original post by young_guns
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/22/cooperation-british-spies-gaddafi-libya-revealed-official-papers

There have been some astounding accusations made this morning in the Guardian.

It has been alleged that Libyan agents were allowed by British intelligence to operate on British soil, intimidating Libyans who had been granted asylum.

If true, that is incredible and deeply troubling. I reflexively support the intelligence services, I don't accept and indeed resent the conspiracy theory view of the world. Most people in that area are dedicated and hardworking civil servants.

Having said that, my belief in the rule of law comes before that. If we have granted people asylum, we have a legal obligation to uphold their human rights and treat them as our own. Imagine if the intelligence services had exposed, say, a former Russian national to intimidation by the SVR because we didn't like their politics? This should be the subject of a judicial inquiry

Research conducted on a random assortment of papers without having the whole back storey can often lead to spurious accusations.

Although I wouldn't put anything past the bastion of the left, tony blair.
(edited 9 years ago)
Surprising? Not in the least bit.
Maybe it was a double bluff ?

They (MI6) make them think the can operate freely so that the Libyans are open about what they are going to do, makes it easier to stop foreign agents if they tell you what their plans are.

Perhaps wishful thinking on my part.
Reply 4
Original post by MatureStudent36

Although I wouldn't put anything past the bastion of the left, tony blair.

You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about the left; you bring them up even when it's completely irrelevant, in a manner almost consistent with the way neo-Nazis blame "the Jews" for everything. It's impossible to have a serious discussion with you
Original post by young_guns
You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about the left; you bring them up even when it's completely irrelevant, in a manner almost consistent with the way neo-Nazis blame "the Jews" for everything. It's impossible to have a serious discussion with you

Nah.

Just blair.

I still remember sweating my balls off in a noddy suit crossing the border into Iraq.

ive reported about a dozen anti Semites the past week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending