The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

kings clearing

i know i should apply through the clearing form, but is theres a way i can call the admission team? although i got A*AB (they want A*A*A or AAA for contexual req) i want to explain the curcumstamces that i have proof of that happend during exam season but my preformance throughout the year was pretty good, also ive had a lot of work experince in the field that i want ti apply to but using only their form i dont think i can show them that im a good fit, please is theres a way i can contact them directly?
Original post by uclstudent1237
i know i should apply through the clearing form, but is theres a way i can call the admission team? although i got A*AB (they want A*A*A or AAA for contexual req) i want to explain the curcumstamces that i have proof of that happend during exam season but my preformance throughout the year was pretty good, also ive had a lot of work experince in the field that i want ti apply to but using only their form i dont think i can show them that im a good fit, please is theres a way i can contact them directly?

Different ways to contact them are listed at https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/how-to-apply/contact - note that if you've already applied, they ask that you use the King's Apply messaging service.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
do you know if they can accept lower grades than the req through clearing?
Original post by DataVenia
Different ways to contact them are listed at https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/how-to-apply/contact - note that if you've already applied, they ask that you use the King's Apply messaging service.
do you know if they can accept lower grades than the req through clearing?

They can yes, whether they will or not (and whether the course is even available through Clearing) entirely depends on how competitive your course is. This is a function of how many places they have, how many firm offer-holders meet the conditions of their offer, how many insurance offer-holders aren't accepted by their firm choice but meet their King's insurance offer, and how many "near miss" candidates (if any) they opt to accept.

You first post says, "i got A*AB". So there aren't predicted grades, but are actual grades. Is that correct?

Which course are you hoping to apply for? Is it in Clearing right now? (UCAS show Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Nursing with Registration as an Adult Nurse, Nutritional Sciences, Philosophy and Sport and Exercise Medical Sciences as being in Clearing currently.)
They can yes, whether they will or not (and whether the course is even available through Clearing) entirely depends on how competitive your course is. This is a function of how many places they have, how many firm offer-holders meet the conditions of their offer, how many insurance offer-holders aren't accepted by their firm choice but meet their King's insurance offer, and how many "near miss" candidates (if any) they opt to accept.

You first post says, "i got A*AB". So there aren't predicted grades, but are actual grades. Is that correct?

Which course are you hoping to apply for? Is it in Clearing right now? (UCAS show Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Nursing with Registration as an Adult Nurse, Nutritional Sciences, Philosophy and Sport and Exercise Medical Sciences as being in Clearing currently.)

yes these are my actual grades, AI hopfully
yes these are my actual grades, AI hopfully

OK. Understood. As you can see from here on the King's site, the following AI courses are all in Clearing right now:

Artificial Intelligence BSc
Artificial Intelligence MSci
Artificial Intelligence with a Year in Industry BSc

They also say (as your original message implies) that "If you have your results before A-Level results day (Thursday 17 August 2023), please register your interest using our Clearing application form and we’ll be in touch with you once we’ve verified your grades." They also point out that "Our Clearing hotline phone number will be available in August."

So you can't call a dedicated Clearing team right now (to "explain the curcumstamces that i have proof of that happend during exam season but my preformance throughout the year was pretty good"). However, you could use the phone number listed on their https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/contact-us page to make contact.

In terms of them accepting lower grades, other than what I said above (that it's "a function of how many places they have, how many firm offer-holders meet the conditions of their offer, how many insurance offer-holders aren't accepted by their firm choice but meet their King's insurance offer, and how many "near miss" candidates (if any) they opt to accept.") - I can offer you this information from The Uni Guide (using data source from the Higher Education Statistics Agency):

"Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved):
Mathematics A
Physics A
Further Mathematics A"

That's for Artificial Intelligence BSc (Hons) at King's. Given that they ask for A*A*A, the above suggests that "can accept lower grades".
OK. Understood. As you can see from here on the King's site, the following AI courses are all in Clearing right now:

Artificial Intelligence BSc
Artificial Intelligence MSci
Artificial Intelligence with a Year in Industry BSc

They also say (as your original message implies) that "If you have your results before A-Level results day (Thursday 17 August 2023), please register your interest using our Clearing application form and we’ll be in touch with you once we’ve verified your grades." They also point out that "Our Clearing hotline phone number will be available in August."

So you can't call a dedicated Clearing team right now (to "explain the curcumstamces that i have proof of that happend during exam season but my preformance throughout the year was pretty good"). However, you could use the phone number listed on their https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/contact-us page to make contact.

In terms of them accepting lower grades, other than what I said above (that it's "a function of how many places they have, how many firm offer-holders meet the conditions of their offer, how many insurance offer-holders aren't accepted by their firm choice but meet their King's insurance offer, and how many "near miss" candidates (if any) they opt to accept.") - I can offer you this information from The Uni Guide (using data source from the Higher Education Statistics Agency):

"Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved):
Mathematics A
Physics A
Further Mathematics A"

That's for Artificial Intelligence BSc (Hons) at King's. Given that they ask for A*A*A, the above suggests that "can accept lower grades".

This is misleading and has been raised previously. Even though the course is shown in clearing it is shown as status Closed. It looks like it isnt open despite being shown in clearing. The same applied to CS
Original post by swanseajack1
This is misleading and has been raised previously. Even though the course is shown in clearing it is shown as status Closed. It looks like it isnt open despite being shown in clearing. The same applied to CS

Good spot.

Which of the two pieces of contradictory information do you believe is wrong? The fact that they've listed it as being in Clearing, or the fact that its Application Status is "Closed"?

BTW, you say "has been raised previously" - do you mean raised in some other thread here on TSR (which I must have missed), or raised with King's themselves so they can fix it?
Good spot.

Which of the two pieces of contradictory information do you believe is wrong? The fact that they've listed it as being in Clearing, or the fact that its Application Status is "Closed"?

BTW, you say "has been raised previously" - do you mean raised in some other thread here on TSR (which I must have missed), or raised with King's themselves so they can fix it?

It was another thread on here. I would be very surprised if these were open. Last year computer science was one of the most heavily over subscribed courses with Kings with huge amounts of automatic rejections by ucas because Kings hadnt notified ucas by the deadline day
Original post by swanseajack1
It was another thread on here. I would be very surprised if these were open. Last year computer science was one of the most heavily over subscribed courses with Kings with huge amounts of automatic rejections by ucas because Kings hadnt notified ucas by the deadline day

I have let King's know that their web site contains contradictory information. (Of the 23 courses on their Clearing page - only 8 have "Application status: Open" on the course-specific page.)
@uclstudent1237, @swanseajack1, I've not heard back from King's directly but the image attached to this post (a chat conversation with their admin team, it seems) suggests that it's the individual web pages that are wrong, and that the list of courses in Clearing is right. :confused:
Reply 11
Hi guys I would like to ask if anyone would be interested to take over a KCL accommodation en-suite in Canada Water. Original Price is 380 pw but I could do it for 290! Please pm if interested!

Quick Reply

Latest