The Student Room Group

Panic mode Gcse style

Hey everyone!

I bet I'm not the only one counting down months... weeks... in fact days until the exams. So I was wondering if anyone who's gotten straight A*s/ As could provide any valuable tips and tricks for learning, doing well etc. I'd really appreciate it!

Scroll to see replies

Don't play 8 pool on miniclip!

No, on a serious note; don't mess around, and never compare your work with anyone elses! Keep your head down, and study. Don't allow even the smallest distraction get to you, as it will expand just like a continuous nuclear fussion.
Don't stress too much either, GCSE is mainly a memory game, hence just going over your work should be plently!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Rabia.Nishat
Hey everyone!

I bet I'm not the only one counting down months... weeks... in fact days until the exams. So I was wondering if anyone who's gotten straight A*s/ As could provide any valuable tips and tricks for learning, doing well etc. I'd really appreciate it!

Hi there. When I was doing GCSEs, I would get into a really methodical way of revision. I think that this is suited to GCSE qualifications because (as the above poster has said) they involve just remembering lots of things.

I read a revision book, did a paper, marked the paper, saw which parts I did well/badly and also read the examiner's reports. You may not have considered doing the last one, but the examiner's reports can sometimes be very helpful at explaining a particular part of the mark scheme that you may not have fully understood.

Also, take breaks. It's very easy to get bogged down in revision, and revising whilst tired/hungry etc. does no good.

Personally, I don't like revision timetables, but, by all means, make one if you feel it will help. I found them a bit too restrictive.

It's the same for mind maps and flash cards - I hate them. But that may be down to my more methodical mindset and subject preferences. On that note, which subjects are you looking to do after your GCSEs?

Hope that helps.
Original post by SH0405
Hi there. When I was doing GCSEs, I would get into a really methodical way of revision. I think that this is suited to GCSE qualifications because (as the above poster has said) they involve just remembering lots of things.

I read a revision book, did a paper, marked the paper, saw which parts I did well/badly and also read the examiner's reports. You may not have considered doing the last one, but the examiner's reports can sometimes be very helpful at explaining a particular part of the mark scheme that you may not have fully understood.

Also, take breaks. It's very easy to get bogged down in revision, and revising whilst tired/hungry etc. does no good.

Personally, I don't like revision timetables, but, by all means, make one if you feel it will help. I found them a bit too restrictive.

It's the same for mind maps and flash cards - I hate them. But that may be down to my more methodical mindset and subject preferences. On that note, which subjects are you looking to do after your GCSEs?

Hope that helps.

That's brilliant advice! Thank you! I'm looking to do Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Politics.
Original post by Aghareza
Don't play 8 pool on miniclip!

No, on a serious note; don't mess around, and never compare your work with anyone elses! Keep your head down, and study. Don't allow even the smallest distraction get to you, as it will expand just like a continuous nuclear fussion.
Don't stress too much either, GCSE is mainly a memory game, hence just going over your work should be plently!

Ha! That certainly put a smile on my face!
An thank you ever so much, I never thought of it as a memory game, that's a great way to put it.
Reply 5
That's brilliant advice! Thank you! I'm looking to do Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Politics.

Nice combination. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics at the moment :smile:
Original post by SH0405
Nice combination. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics at the moment :smile:

Thanks! How tough is the maths getting? * worried look*
Reply 7
Thanks! How tough is the maths getting? * worried look*

It's difficult, but it's completely doable if you work hard and go through a concept thoroughly until you completely understand it. Otherwise you'll be left behind.

I'm going to do a Maths degree, so I've got a real passion for it, which is also a key factor.
Original post by SH0405
It's difficult, but it's completely doable if you work hard and go through a concept thoroughly until you completely understand it. Otherwise you'll be left behind.

I'm going to do a Maths degree, so I've got a real passion for it, which is also a key factor.

Best of luck for that! What universities are you hoping to apply to? An ah, indeed maths is truly breathtaking, it in itself is satisfaction.
Reply 9
Best of luck for that! What universities are you hoping to apply to? An ah, indeed maths is truly breathtaking, it in itself is satisfaction.

I applied to Oxford (interview, but no offer :frown:), Warwick, Durham, Surrey and St Andrews.

"Indeed maths is truly breathtaking, it in itself is satisfaction".

Rabia.Nishat 2015
Badaams are your best friend.
Original post by SH0405
I applied to Oxford (interview, but no offer :frown:), Warwick, Durham, Surrey and St Andrews.

"Indeed maths is truly breathtaking, it in itself is satisfaction".

Rabia.Nishat 2015

Oh my! What?! Ah well, Oxford or no Oxford, you seem really bright, so i bet you'll do fantastically anywhere! Best of luck for the rest, are you particularly keen on any one of the other universities? Also, are you applying for pure maths or applied? Ha! That quote isn't half bad! But, here's a good one: [h="1"]“If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut”[/h]
Albert Einstein
Original post by College_Dropout
Badaams are your best friend.

Acha?! That's what people say about carrots...
Best advice I can give: Don't stress out. Honestly, staying relaxed makes the whole examination process easier.
Also, you'll hear people saying on this forum "I do 5 hours of revision on a school day and 8 hours of revision on a weekend/holiday", and they start saying it now. They're lying. Personally, at the moment I would suggest you shouldn't be revising at all. Just work as normal, and make sure you fully understand what you're currently being taught. Work too much and you'll burn yourself out, so when it comes to revision I would suggest no more than a total of 2 or 3 hours on a day off, perhaps less. Just make sure what you do is productive. I remember for my geography GCSE, I had my teacher's PowerPoint slides on my phone, and whenever I got some time I would look at them. 10 minutes waiting for a dentist appointment became 10 minutes of revising plate tectonics.

It's too late now for your GCSEs, but here's a piece of advice which gets more important at A-Levels and at university: Make sure you understand the material as it is taught. If you do, you can do minimum revision when it comes to the exams and beat someone who spent all their time on revision.

Finally, don't bother making a revision timetable. Don't bother highlighting/colour coding your notes. You're wasting your time. Focus on topics you don't know, and do as many questions (preferably past papers) as you can. If you get chance, find a good friend who you can teach bits (s)he doesn't know, and (s)he can teach you the bits you don't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ExcitinglyMundane
Best advice I can give: Don't stress out. Honestly, staying relaxed makes the whole examination process easier.
Also, you'll hear people saying on this forum "I do 5 hours of revision on a school day and 8 hours of revision on a weekend/holiday", and they start saying it now. They're lying. Personally, at the moment I would suggest you shouldn't be revising at all. Just work as normal, and make sure you fully understand what you're currently being taught. Work too much and you'll burn yourself out, so when it comes to revision I would suggest no more than a total of 2 or 3 hours on a day off, perhaps less. Just make sure what you do is productive. I remember for my geography GCSE, I had my teacher's PowerPoint slides on my phone, and whenever I got some time I would look at them. 10 minutes waiting for a dentist appointment became 10 minutes of revising plate tectonics.

It's too late now for your GCSEs, but here's a piece of advice which gets more important at A-Levels and at university: Make sure you understand the material as it is taught. If you do, you can do minimum revision when it comes to the exams and beat someone who

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for that detailed reply! And ah geography... The case studies drive everyone nuts...
Thank you so much for that detailed reply! And ah geography... The case studies drive everyone nuts...

Sorry, have edited the post as I accidentally hit submit too soon.

Yeah, case studies weren't fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry, have edited the post as I accidentally hit submit too soon.

Yeah, case studies weren't fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries, I got the gist of it. And if you don't mind me asking, what exam board did you do your exam through and what grade did you get?
No worries, I got the gist of it. And if you don't mind me asking, what exam board did you do your exam through and what grade did you get?

Urghh, it's a long time ago now... For GCSE geography I got and A*, and I think it was with AQA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Urghh, it's a long time ago now... For GCSE geography I got and A*, and I think it was with AQA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

HOW?! That course has a gazillion facts and what not... It's becoming more and more tiring...
HOW?! That course has a gazillion facts and what not... It's becoming more and more tiring...

Yes, there are loads of facts. I didn't learn them. The examiners don't know them. Ao long as you have a good idea about what happened, the exact number doesn't matter. There aren't any marks avaliable for knowing 15879 houses were destroyed, you could probably say 10000 or 20000 and still get the marks. (I'm talking about the long written questions.)

I did do my gcses before Gove's shakeup, and I know he championed factual recall, so things may have changed. But when I did is, so long as I could describe roughly what happened, and the response to it. If the text book says "HMS FLOATYBOAT helped deliver aid", you can say "The Royal Navy delivered aid".

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest