The Student Room Group

GCSE Drama Devising Log

I am in Year 10 student and I properly start my Drama aspect of GCSE (I am on the AQA specification btw) next week– we've been looking at various techniques before the half term but when I get back to school, we'll be put into our groups and start the devising log. I know that this will make up 40% of my Drama GCSE grade by the end of Year 10 and I just came here to ask anyone who has done this already for any possible valuable tips you have to offer. Also I'm a bit worried about the groups because the people in my class clearly aren't serious and we were told they'd be mixed ability which makes it worse, so if you have any tips for that please let me know, as well as any advice for the devising log (even performance) that would let me maximise my marks. Thank you.
Original post by BibliophileLibra
I am in Year 10 student and I properly start my Drama aspect of GCSE (I am on the AQA specification btw) next week– we've been looking at various techniques before the half term but when I get back to school, we'll be put into our groups and start the devising log. I know that this will make up 40% of my Drama GCSE grade by the end of Year 10 and I just came here to ask anyone who has done this already for any possible valuable tips you have to offer. Also I'm a bit worried about the groups because the people in my class clearly aren't serious and we were told they'd be mixed ability which makes it worse, so if you have any tips for that please let me know, as well as any advice for the devising log (even performance) that would let me maximise my marks. Thank you.

Hey I did this last year so can try to help. You are marked individually so groups shouldn’t be an issue - if anything, if ur group are not as good as u in ur final piece, that might make you look better. In my portfolio, I included how I took inspiration from books i’ve read alongside other plays. Whilst I didn’t actually use them, it made it look like I had researched a lot so that might be something to think about. Good luck!
Original post by AGumbrellas
Hey I did this last year so can try to help. You are marked individually so groups shouldn’t be an issue - if anything, if ur group are not as good as u in ur final piece, that might make you look better. In my portfolio, I included how I took inspiration from books i’ve read alongside other plays. Whilst I didn’t actually use them, it made it look like I had researched a lot so that might be something to think about. Good luck!

Thank you ever so much for your reply. If you don't mind me asking, do you get your marks for the devising log back before the GCSE exam season begins; and how much did you get (you don't have to say). I'm just asking because I would like an indication of whether it's particularly difficult to get top marks for the devising log. As Drama is the only GCSE I am doing with coursework, I already feel rather overwhelmed at the thought of it, especially as it's something I'm doing this year. Also, what play are you studying– I'm doing Noughts and Crosses.
Hi! I am a year 11 AQA GCSE drama student who is slowly losing all my self-esteem with my devising log :colonhash:
I'm just wondering which techniques you're using for your devised piece? We did verbatim and physical theatre.
I was incredibly lucky to be in an amazing group for my devising (we did our performance in November) but everything for your GCSE is individually assessed, so other people not being interested hopefully won't affect your grade (also if you end up doing more of the behind the scenes work (writing/blocking) you have more to write about in your devising log so it can be a bonus)
Have you started your devising log yet? We did all our devising in year 11 and I'm currently working on my second draft which is due in on Friday :cry: at least then 60% of my GCSE will be done. I'm over the word count limit though which is a bit of a problem :unimpressed:
Original post by hxnnxh_13.11.06
Hi! I am a year 11 AQA GCSE drama student who is slowly losing all my self-esteem with my devising log :colonhash:
I'm just wondering which techniques you're using for your devised piece? We did verbatim and physical theatre.
I was incredibly lucky to be in an amazing group for my devising (we did our performance in November) but everything for your GCSE is individually assessed, so other people not being interested hopefully won't affect your grade (also if you end up doing more of the behind the scenes work (writing/blocking) you have more to write about in your devising log so it can be a bonus)
Have you started your devising log yet? We did all our devising in year 11 and I'm currently working on my second draft which is due in on Friday :cry: at least then 60% of my GCSE will be done. I'm over the word count limit though which is a bit of a problem :unimpressed:

We've hardly started doing devising and haven't started the log yet, though we do write what we did in each lesson at the end of it in a notebook which we will use when we do start writing up the Log. I am now in my group for it and we've decided which topic we're going for and had a few lessons but now we're focusing on component 1 again because we have to do Mid Year assessments. In terms of techniques, I think my teacher pushes us to not make it naturalistic and then the only other techniques I know are physical theatre ones and I'm quite intruiged by things like chair duets and columbian hypnosis so we'll see how that goes.
Wishing you luck with your log and I hope all goes well :smile:
Thank you ever so much for your reply. If you don't mind me asking, do you get your marks for the devising log back before the GCSE exam season begins; and how much did you get (you don't have to say). I'm just asking because I would like an indication of whether it's particularly difficult to get top marks for the devising log. As Drama is the only GCSE I am doing with coursework, I already feel rather overwhelmed at the thought of it, especially as it's something I'm doing this year. Also, what play are you studying– I'm doing Noughts and Crosses.

Hi, I'm a year 13 student studying drama A level. I did drama GCSE as well. I agree with BibliophileLibra - Don't worry about the abilities of the others in your group, it may actually make you look better if you stand out as good. Also, if others don't contribute as much in your group, you'll be able to say in your devising log "I suggested..." which makes you look more involved.
Are you devising using a practitioner? (Brecht etc.)

Since the devised performance is before the exam season, we got our teacher assessed marks for our performance back before and, while they will be sent to the exam board to check, that will give you an indication of your mark. The marks for the devising log/portfolio, however, will not be sent back before exam season (I don't think) - I'm actually not sure what my final marks for the devising log were - I don't think they tell you, or if they do, they didn't tell me as things were handled a little differently during my year (as my official exams were cancelled by Covid.

Don't panic when it comes to coursework - I find it better than exams because it means you can go into the exam knowing that 40% of your grade has already been done! You have lots of time to work on it.
One thing to note (in case your teacher doesn't tell you to do this) - Write what you do down at the end of each lesson. TRUST ME it will help in the long run - there's nothing worse than getting to the end of the devising process and then realising you have to write a 2500 word (max) essay about stuff that you did three months ago! You won't have to include everything you did in the final devising log but make sure you're prepared with notes!

Sorry this is a late reply and not sure if it's much help now!
Original post by Anonymous0305
Since the devised performance is before the exam season, we got our teacher assessed marks for our performance back before and, while they will be sent to the exam board to check, that will give you an indication of your mark. The marks for the devising log/portfolio, however, will not be sent back before exam season (I don't think) - I'm actually not sure what my final marks for the devising log were - I don't think they tell you, or if they do, they didn't tell me as things were handled a little differently during my year (as my official exams were cancelled by Covid.

I got my devising performance and log last week, but we don't get our monologues/duologues until results day
Original post by Anonymous0305
Hi, I'm a year 13 student studying drama A level. I did drama GCSE as well. I agree with BibliophileLibra - Don't worry about the abilities of the others in your group, it may actually make you look better if you stand out as good. Also, if others don't contribute as much in your group, you'll be able to say in your devising log "I suggested..." which makes you look more involved.
Are you devising using a practitioner? (Brecht etc.)

Don't panic when it comes to coursework - I find it better than exams because it means you can go into the exam knowing that 40% of your grade has already been done! You have lots of time to work on it.
One thing to note (in case your teacher doesn't tell you to do this) - Write what you do down at the end of each lesson. TRUST ME it will help in the long run - there's nothing worse than getting to the end of the devising process and then realising you have to write a 2500 word (max) essay about stuff that you did three months ago! You won't have to include everything you did in the final devising log but make sure you're prepared with notes!

Sorry this is a late reply and not sure if it's much help now!

Thank you for your reply. We very recently started the devising log and I was wondering it you are at an advantage if you include a practicioner because I know very little about what these are and how I would incorporate one into my piece. Also, do you have any tips about how to maximise marks in the devising log?
Hi again! No, at GCSE level, using a practitioner is not a requirement (The website states: "We recommend that students choose one or more genres or performance styles for their devised piece but this is not a mandatory requirement.") however I think it's easier because then you can justify your ideas rather than just saying "I thought it would be cool to do this" etc. In my school, we had to use the practitioner Brecht (Brecht is the opposite of Stanislavsky so you use a lot of gesture, gestus, chorus lines, direct address etc.) but there are other practitioners you can use such as Kneehigh theatre company, or Stanislavsky (naturalism). The exam board recommends using any of the following styles:
comedy
tragedy
melodrama
commedia dell’arte
naturalism
epic theatre
documentary theatre
physical theatre.

However they state that you do not have to follow these styles either.

For the devising log, you should mention ideas that you have specifically come up with as well as ideas you came up with as a team. Justify why you did certain things, but make sure to explain and evaluate your choices - don't just waste the whole word count listing everything you did during the devising process out! Use your notes from the lessons to evaluate different moments of your piece and choose what techniques you want to focus on.
When it comes to the actual devising itself, if you haven't already finished devising, I would recommend making a few plans. One of the things I did in GCSE was list a bunch of techniques I wanted to include that linked to my devising style and found ways to put them in my piece. Responding to the stimulus, we decided on an overall theme and meaning of our given stimulus and mapped out different subthemes and moments we wanted to explore. When working on each moment, we tried to include as many techniques as we could (without it being forced). This means you get much better marks as you will have an abundance of relevant techniques you can discuss in your devising log.
in devising you get marked separately even if you are in a group. my advice is to ask your teacher if they let you,to be in a group with people who actually want to do well and because you are getting marked separately focused on your performance learn your lines, just focused on your performance.

Quick Reply

Latest