The Student Room Group

Climate change and by extension global warming is a ruse

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redferry
And I thought you were ok for a villa fan :frown:

I'm studying climate change at PhD level, if I promise you it is genuinely happening will you believe me?

I'll never call villa **** again???

I think my argument would be is it man made global warming or not or just something of a natural cycle that the earth goes through.
It's because us climate scientists are just rolling in the cash.

I thought, I want to make a lot of money in life, I know, I'll be an environmental scientist! Surefire way to the big bucks!

Precisely why I want to go into climate science. Can't wait to swim around in NERC's endless financial coffers.

Original post by Rock Fan
I think my argument would be is it man made global warming or not or just something of a natural cycle that the earth goes through.

There's absolutely no basis to believe that. We know as a fact that the spike in CO2 concentration is due to us and we also know fairly accurately what CO2 does to global temperatures. As I wrote in an earlier post, there are examples from the paleoclimatic archives of what has happened in earth's history when CO2 levels spike like they are at the moment, and the result is never good. We understand the glacial-interglacial cycles very well thanks to ice cores and other proxies and this is not normal.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rock Fan
I really believe when it comes to global warming, it is more of just a natural cycle the planet goes through.

...and what is your opinion based on? What you've heard off other people, who have heard it off someone else who is about as knowledgeable as a glass of water on the subject?

Climate change is far too serious a topic to have people trying to 'be clever' with the conspirecy theories about tax.

Original post by Native To Europe
There is no conclusive evidence for or against global warming. No matter how objectively you read in to it.

It disgusts me that people voice their opinion on the subject based on their political alliance; it is a scientific debate not a political one.

Anyone who claims to know conclusively either way is a liar.

So apparently, 800,000 years of ice core data, which is irrefutable by the way, isn't evidence.

I love the hypocrasy of people who agree and hail science only when it suits them or it supports their agenda or misguided politicaly correct assertions and then disagree when it doesn't suit them. People will dream anything out of nothing to avoid facing the fact that their lifestyles are going to have to change and the evidence for anthropogenic climate change is overwhelming.

What's worse is, working out anthropogenic climate change is occuring on the most basic levels does not take anyone with remotely half a brain. Here it is:

Co2 released to atmosphere naturally. Co2 naturally absorbed from atmosphere by sea and land sinks. System is in equlibrium.

Humans come along and artificially release large amounts of Co2 into the atmosphere.

I'm sorry if i'm blunt but climate change is a very serious issue and is understood very poorly by a lot of people. Those that have no knowlege and spread misinfomation claiming that 'it's a tax to take our money, it's all a scam' could be likened to the issues with witchdoctors in Africa.

People are going to be kicking themselves when they're sitting in loads of money they 'saved' in taxes but the environment is polluted beyond rescue. Money is worthless, if you don't believe me, just try and eat it.

Oh, before I allow the below 800,000 years of graph to convey how entirely screwed we actually are, you know what wasen't around 50,000 years ago? ...Inteligent, globally settled modern man.

Original source: noaa
(edited 9 years ago)
It's because us climate scientists are just rolling in the cash.

I thought, I want to make a lot of money in life, I know, I'll be an environmental scientist! Surefire way to the big bucks!

Well, I'm sure the oil companies could help if you just agree to say that everything's fine.
And I thought you were ok for a villa fan :frown:

I'm studying climate change at PhD level, if I promise you it is genuinely happening will you believe me?

I'll never call villa **** again???

So one might say you have a vested interest in it happening.
Hmm didn't know there were so many idiots on this forum
Original post by MatureStudent36
So one might say you have a vested interest in it happening.

Not really, I'm a conservationist, the species I'll be an expert on by the end of my PhD is likely to go extinct because of climate change.

I don't think climate change happening is in anyone's interests, let's be honest.
Original post by The Socktor
Well, I'm sure the oil companies could help if you just agree to say that everything's fine.

True, but they don't seem to look for proper climate scientists, they prefer businessmen and obscure physicists :P
Not really, I'm a conservationist, the species I'll be an expert on by the end of my PhD is likely to go extinct because of climate change.

I don't think climate change happening is in anyone's interests, let's be honest.

The climate has continually changed. Species become extinct as new species are created.

Do you think though we may be mixing up conservation with climatic changes though. I know for example the environmentalist David Bellamy has been criticised for questioning the link between environmental activitist and consevratiknalists.

All the best for the PhD though.
Reply 49
Science isn't supposed to be about consensus. It doesn't matter if 97% of scientists think a certain thing, if they're wrong. At one point, 97% of doctors thought that the way to cure everything was to let you bleed to death.

The problem as I see it is that Climate Science is observational science, but it's not being treated as such.
The climate has continually changed. Species become extinct as new species are created.

Do you think though we may be mixing up conservation with climatic changes though. I know for example the environmentalist David Bellamy has been criticised for questioning the link between environmental activitist and consevratiknalists.

All the best for the PhD though.

Well my PhD is on the effects of climate change on a particular species and how we adapt conservation so that is focused in areas which will still be habitable for the species in 100 years.

So no, I am not really getting the two muddled.

You see as the climate warms, species ranges shift. In conservation there is no point restoring a bunch of habitat if in 50 years it will be to warm/dry/whatever for the particular species that it benefits to live in. So climate change is becoming more and more interlinked with conservation efforts, especially for species that cannot be successfully bred ex situ (that's in a zoo) and then reintroduced.

You see what happens in the natural climate cycle is that CO2 rises gradually, the temperature shifts gradually and species are able to migrate to new areas and/or evolve to suit the new climate. Of course there are some extinctions, but not unprecedented amounts. What is happening now, however, is we have increased CO2 very quickly, more quickly and dramatically than, as far as we know, at any point in the earths history, as a result of a combination of the agricultural revolution (deforestation) and industrial revolution (burning fossil fuels). Now that means the climate warms more quickly and species are unable to adapt, meaning we will see unprecedented amount of extinction. Especially when you take into account there is nowhere for a lot of these species to move to because they are stuck in nature reserves surrounded by farms and towns. The climate is warming too fast for natural selection, and on top of that you have the other big threats - habitat loss, introduced species and novel diseases which are getting worse as the climate warms.

On top of this, historically when there has been increased CO2 rises the earth has buffered this. Forests have taken in and stored CO2 meaning that the earth has cooled again and the cycle continues. Except - oh wait - we've chopped down all the forests and removed the buffer. So not only is the climate warming but we've kindof destroyed the carbon cycle meaning it is likely to stay that way for a lot longer than is natural.
Original post by Lionheart96
Hmm didn't know there were so many idiots on this forum

I wish it was just this forum, every newspaper article on climate change there's so many people claiming it to be a hoax, even on the independant and guardian. It's scary.
Reply 52
Original post by Pegasus2
...and what is your opinion based on? What you've heard off other people, who have heard it off someone else who is about as knowledgeable as a glass of water on the subject?

Climate change is far too serious a topic to have people trying to 'be clever' with the conspirecy theories about tax.

Original source: noaa

Here's the problem - like just everything in Climate Science, your graphs don't tally with your argument.

The point is that the science in this field is weak. I'm not saying there isn't AGW. What I'm saying is that the science sucks, but the hypothesis is being bulldozered through despite not being strongly supported. You don't do this with anything else - medicine, physics, astronomy. Yet with Climate Science, the shoddiest of work and most blatant misrepresentations are allowed to go unchecked, and often take the form of a facebook meme.

Come on - let's be honest. Do you really know what your graphs mean? Do you really know what the substance of the papers they originated from was? Or do you just like them because they look pretty and you thought that some lines and colours would make everyone believe in impending global armageddon?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Clip
Here's the problem - like just everything in Climate Science, your graphs don't tally with your argument.

The point is that the science in this field is weak. I'm not saying there isn't AGW. What I'm saying is that the science sucks, but the hypothesis is being bulldozered through despite not being strongly supported. You don't do this with anything else - medicine, physics, astronomy. Yet with Climate Science, the shoddiest of work and most blatant misrepresentations are allowed to go unchecked, and often take the form of a facebook meme.

Come on - let's be honest. Do you really know what your graphs mean? Do you really know what the substance of the papers they originated from was? Or do you just like them because they look pretty and you thought that some lines and colours would make everyone believe in impending global armageddon?

Actually I have read the climate papers these come from, the entire IPCC report (2007 and 2013), and been lectured on AGW by some of the UKs top climate scientists.

There are plenty of unknowns but the fact AGW is happening is undeniable.

At the most basic level we increased CO2 levels more quickly and dramatically than at any point and it has been known since the 1960s that CO2 causes atmospheric warming. That is physics, it is not up for debate. For AGW not to happen physics would have to not work.
Original post by Clip

Well, by your answer you clearly you don't. You know, I was going to put a line in with those graphs that read "Here are some graphs if you have the ability to comprehend them." I thought this line was unfair and perhaps a bit harsh but clearly I was mistaken.

I'm not going to explain them, it doesn't take a genious to undersand that temperature follows Co2 nor does it take a genious to understand the potential for problems by artificially releasing the amout of CO2 into the atmosphere we are. Where do you think it goes? Perhaps it vanashies by magic? Where do you think this ice core evidence come from, made up? There is no magic or careful process involved or maybe, possibly or error. Atmospheric Co2 content was at these levels in the past, ice cores do not lie, it is irrefutable evidence of paleoclimate.

For you, i'll use a simple analogy. I come round to your house and open the bath taps fully. The plug isn't in, so the water drains away fast enough and all is ok. I now start pouring buckets of water in as well, the drain can't cope and eventually the bath overflows and causes the bathroom to fall into the living room below. This is, on a very basic level, what is happening. Each year about half of the natural and anthropogenic co2 emitted into the atmosphere is reabsorbed back into land and sea stores. The other half stays in the atmosphere and the next year's 50% is accumulated on top of that. Co2 emission is rising and stores (forests) are being burnt down (co2 release) and so that 50% accumulated is becoming 52%, 54% and on it goes.

This screams only one thing and that is UNSUSTAINABLE.

I could explain how all this affects cloud formation and solar radiation budget but that paper took a long time to write.I could also explain a complete truck load of other factors, causes and effects but that would take forever.

I studied climate change at degree level. Let me remind you, humans are dependant on their environment for rescources to survive, we are a species just like everything else on this planet. The air we breath, the food we eat and the water we drink. If climate change occurs significantly enough, drought is one of the effects. Crops harvests will be disrupted at best and destroyed at worst. If there is a global food shortage, people will starve to death and that's just the beginning.
(edited 9 years ago)
I wish it was just this forum, every newspaper article on climate change there's so many people claiming it to be a hoax, even on the independant and guardian. It's scary.

And this is why we are all ****ed
The actual amount of greenhouse gasses is rather minuscule in comparison with all other sources.

Also the more recent *spikes* are rather ridiculous as well, we have seen similar spikes in the past, but they're usually ignored as being very short in nature. The planets has also been warming up since around 1715, long before any large scale industrialisation, modern deforestation, man made green house gasses or large scale farming. People also fail to realise last time major deforestation happened (in Europe I may add) the little ice age started shortly after. Finally long term figures regarding temperatures are not quite as accurate as most claim, mostly unable to detect spikes (even though they're ignored when they do find spikes), ice cores or example don't do anything to provide insight on the Younger Dryas.

Another thing is the consensus of Man Made global warming in science. While most agree with global warming the 97% comes from two studies, one itself claimed by one of it's co-authors should of had a lukewarm or middle ground category (aka suggesting it's a possibility but not proven) while the second only used one third of which they had to specifically express whether or not it was man made or not. Finally those studies usually only use those who specifically cover climate change, other area's that equally provide insight are often sidelined as being non experts, even though such area's are closer to a 50% rate.

Finally I remember around the mid 00's when the debate was really kicking off you had a lot more disagreement in the community. As soon as politically it became ideal to agree with global warming being caused by men you started to see a fair amount of dismissals. Scientific consensus is quite often just a group of widely respected scientist's deciding what is and is not correct, if they disagree they cite poor evidence even though usually their own work is not much better (if at all). It's why you get much more solid scientific facts or idea's being rejected only to be accepted decades later.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Clip
Science isn't supposed to be about consensus. It doesn't matter if 97% of scientists think a certain thing, if they're wrong. At one point, 97% of doctors thought that the way to cure everything was to let you bleed to death.

The problem as I see it is that Climate Science is observational science, but it's not being treated as such.

Consensus does not mean something is definitely, 100% right. However, consensus does mean that it's likely to be the best conclusion from the available evidence. Given all of the evidence we have available, any conclusion other than "we are the driving cause of climate change and the climate change we should expect will be extremely serious" doesn't fit the observations. Of course it's possible that new evidence comes to light and we have to make a new theory or adapt the old one but that evidence doesn't exist. All of the data we have access to - and it's a lot of data - strongly, strongly suggests that the above conclusion is correct and importantly, that it's going to have an incredibly dangerous affect on humans.

If you carry out an investigation to see if an activity is harmful and all of the evidence you've gathered strongly suggests it will be harmful, you wouldn't still carry out the activity nonetheless because it's possible that a future study could possibly suggest the previous studies are wrong. It is possible that a future study would show that but at the present, there is no reason for you to reasonably think that the activity would be anything but harmful. Of course, a good scientist would carry on studying the subject, testing old theories to make sure they stand up and modify the theory to fit new evidence but the fact of the matter is that you act on the conclusions you can make from evidence that you've got. Given the massive harm that current conclusions suggest will happen if we carry on doing nothing, waiting for evidence that doesn't yet exist and evidence we have no good reason to think will exist is not only foolish but incredibly dangerous.

Original post by DanB1991
The actual amount of greenhouse gasses is rather minuscule in comparison with all other sources.

Also the more recent *spikes* are rather ridiculous as well, we have seen similar spikes in the past, but they're usually ignored as being very short in nature. The planets has also been warming up since around 1715, long before any large scale industrialisation, modern deforestation, man made green house gasses or large scale farming. People also fail to realise last time major deforestation happened (in Europe I may add) the little ice age started shortly after. Finally long term figures regarding temperatures are not quite as accurate as most claim, mostly unable to detect spikes (even though they're ignored when they do find spikes), ice cores or example don't do anything to provide insight on the Younger Dryas.

Another thing is the consensus of Man Made global warming in science. While most agree with global warming the 97% comes from two studies, one itself claimed by one of it's co-authors should of had a lukewarm or middle ground category (aka suggesting it's a possibility but not proven) while the second only used one third of which they had to specifically express whether or not it was man made or not. Finally those studies usually only use those who specifically cover climate change, other area's that equally provide insight are often sidelined as being non experts, even though such area's are closer to a 50% rate.

Finally I remember around the mid 00's when the debate was really kicking off you had a lot more disagreement in the community. As soon as politically it became ideal to agree with global warming being caused by men you started to see a fair amount of dismissals. Scientific consensus is quite often just a group of widely respected scientist's deciding what is and is not correct, if they disagree they cite poor evidence even though usually their own work is not much better (if at all). It's why you get much more solid scientific facts or idea's being rejected only to be accepted decades later.

Firstly, the fact that the concentrations are low is completely irrelevant - what matters is the potential of the gas to trap energy. If gas A has a warming potential of 2 and gas B has a warming potential of 1, 1L of A will have the same effect as 2L of B. The fact that CO2 causes the greenhouse effect is a completely irrefutable fact that's elementary physics.

We've not seen similar spikes in CO2 concentration before. The last time a similar rate of CO2 change appeared in the paleoclimatic archive was just before the Permian Mass Extinction. The CO2 concentration is higher now than it has ever been in the previous 800,000 years - we know that as a fact - and it is likely to be higher than any point in the previous 2.5-3.0 million years. There hasn't been any significant warming since the 1900s-ish, not entirely sure where your 1715 claim is coming from (I'm also not sure why you keep going on about deforestation, it's important but it's not the driving cause of AGW). The little ice age had absolutely nothing to do with deforestation in Europe, it was likely to do with changes in solar activity... which we know are not causing the current warming since we can directly observe changes in solar insolation and there's absolutely no significant change going on. Long term temperature records are definitely not incredibly accurate and nobody is denying this (however, hyperthermal events are very likely to be recorded in the paleoclimate archives because of the massive geochemical and physical effects they have on the planet. You have to remember, scientists don't just rely on one proxy. Ice cores are popular because they're easy to understand but there are literally hundreds to thousands of different proxies scientists use to reconstruct ancient climates). There isn't particularly relevant to the question though. We understand this planet fairly well and we understand the basic energy changes that result in changes in planetary temperature. There is absolutely no mechanism that can explain the changes in temperature that we are observing other than a mechanism driven by human CO2 emissions. Every single hyperthermal event that has happened in history has been driven by sudden increases in heat trapping from greenhouse gasses.

I've responded to your criticisms of the surveys about papers already. If you've got a survey that's trying to establish whether or not a consensus exists on the matter of whether or not climate change is anthropogenic, you can only choose papers that address this. If you've got a paper talking about proposed mechanisms for D-O events over the last 100,000 years, it is totally irrelevant to the question you're trying to ask, I don't understand what's so difficult to get about this. Climate change is a huge topic in the Earth Sciences, it's not just about modern climate change. Most papers published in this area are not about modern climate change so of course they're going to be excluded. Including them would make the survey totally invalid.

And you're incorrect, there never was disagreement within the scientific community. If you actually ask active research scientists working in this area, every single one will irrefutably agree that humans are almost certainly the driving cause of climate change. The whole illusion of controversy is driven by lobbying groups like the Heartland Foundation (someone linked an article by them earlier in this thread) who are paid by fossil fuel corporations to spread misinformation and by the media which presents the issue as a political debate. There is no controversy about this in the scientific community... you can easily see this for yourself by visiting any university Earth Sciences or Atmospheric Physics department, you don't have to take my word for it.

The natural background rate of extinction is around 0.1-1.0 species per million per year. The current rate of extinction is between 10-100 species per million per year and that could well be a massive underestimate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chlorophile
Consensus does not mean something is definitely, 100% right. However, consensus does mean that it's likely to be the best conclusion from the available evidence. Given all of the evidence we have available, any conclusion other than "we are the driving cause of climate change and the climate change we should expect will be extremely serious" doesn't fit the observations. Of course it's possible that new evidence comes to light and we have to make a new theory or adapt the old one but that evidence doesn't exist. All of the data we have access to - and it's a lot of data - strongly, strongly suggests that the above conclusion is correct and importantly, that it's going to have an incredibly dangerous affect on humans.

If you carry out an investigation to see if an activity is harmful and all of the evidence you've gathered strongly suggests it will be harmful, you wouldn't still carry out the activity nonetheless because it's possible that a future study could possibly suggest the previous studies are wrong. It is possible that a future study would show that but at the present, there is no reason for you to reasonably think that the activity would be anything but harmful. Of course, a good scientist would carry on studying the subject, testing old theories to make sure they stand up and modify the theory to fit new evidence but the fact of the matter is that you act on the conclusions you can make from evidence that you've got. Given the massive harm that current conclusions suggest will happen if we carry on doing nothing, waiting for evidence that doesn't yet exist and evidence we have no good reason to think will exist is not only foolish but incredibly dangerous.

Firstly, the fact that the concentrations are low is completely irrelevant - what matters is the potential of the gas to trap energy. If gas A has a warming potential of 2 and gas B has a warming potential of 1, 1L of A will have the same effect as 2L of B. The fact that CO2 causes the greenhouse effect is a completely irrefutable fact that's elementary physics.

We've not seen similar spikes in CO2 concentration before. The last time a similar rate of CO2 change appeared in the paleoclimatic archive was just before the Permian Mass Extinction. The CO2 concentration is higher now than it has ever been in the previous 800,000 years - we know that as a fact - and it is likely to be higher than any point in the previous 2.5-3.0 million years. There hasn't been any significant warming since the 1900s-ish, not entirely sure where your 1715 claim is coming from (I'm also not sure why you keep going on about deforestation, it's important but it's not the driving cause of AGW). The little ice age had absolutely nothing to do with deforestation in Europe, it was likely to do with changes in solar activity... which we know are not causing the current warming since we can directly observe changes in solar insolation and there's absolutely no significant change going on. Long term temperature records are definitely not incredibly accurate and nobody is denying this (however, hyperthermal events are very likely to be recorded in the paleoclimate archives because of the massive geochemical and physical effects they have on the planet. You have to remember, scientists don't just rely on one proxy. Ice cores are popular because they're easy to understand but there are literally hundreds to thousands of different proxies scientists use to reconstruct ancient climates). There isn't particularly relevant to the question though. We understand this planet fairly well and we understand the basic energy changes that result in changes in planetary temperature. There is absolutely no mechanism that can explain the changes in temperature that we are observing other than a mechanism driven by human CO2 emissions. Every single hyperthermal event that has happened in history has been driven by sudden increases in heat trapping from greenhouse gasses.

I've responded to your criticisms of the surveys about papers already. If you've got a survey that's trying to establish whether or not a consensus exists on the matter of whether or not climate change is anthropogenic, you can only choose papers that address this. If you've got a paper talking about proposed mechanisms for D-O events over the last 100,000 years, it is totally irrelevant to the question you're trying to ask, I don't understand what's so difficult to get about this. Climate change is a huge topic in the Earth Sciences, it's not just about modern climate change. Most papers published in this area are not about modern climate change so of course they're going to be excluded. Including them would make the survey totally invalid.

And you're incorrect, there never was disagreement within the scientific community. If you actually ask active research scientists working in this area, every single one will irrefutably agree that humans are almost certainly the driving cause of climate change. The whole illusion of controversy is driven by lobbying groups like the Heartland Foundation (someone linked an article by them earlier in this thread) who are paid by fossil fuel corporations to spread misinformation and by the media which presents the issue as a political debate. There is no controversy about this in the scientific community... you can easily see this for yourself by visiting any university Earth Sciences or Atmospheric Physics department, you don't have to take my word for it.

The natural background rate of extinction is around 0.1-1.0 species per million per year. The current rate of extinction is between 10-100 species per million per year and that could well be a massive underestimate.

Impressive cut and paste.

So are you part of the 'death to capitalism' brigade.

Why do te IPCC leep downgrading their predictions?
Impressive cut and paste.

So are you part of the 'death to capitalism' brigade.

Why do te IPCC leep downgrading their predictions?

Please do tell me where I cut and pasted that from? Because that's the first I'd know about it...

The IPCC don't keep downgrading their predictions. If anything, their predictions keep getting surpassed. NOAA had to change their scale for oceanic heat content recently because the rate of increase was so unprecedented.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending