The Student Room Group

Is City and Islington sixth form a good college?

I have applied to city and islington sixth form college for 2015-2016. Just wondering about the experiences of some people who went there. What are teachers like? And the students? How are you treated there, like an adult where doing well is your own responsibility, or like a kid who needs everything planned out by teachers?

I'm thinking of going to CANDI rather than my own school's sixth form, because my sixth form offers no free lessons, and the teachers think everyone is just a little kid who needs to constantly be in a lesson, rather than letting students do their own learning. Personally, I learn pretty much nothing from lessons, but so much better from learning things myself from books etc, so free time is quite important to me.

Also, any idea what class sizes are like? My school has 25+ in a sixth form class.

Cheers!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get more responses. :redface: Hopefully someone will be able to get back to you :h:
Reply 2
Totally up to you, there isn't good/bad colleges, it's the people you meet who are good/bad, it's you who is going to study/revise soooooo go where ever you want, but do not forget alevels isn't easy so don't be all out and about with the freedom of being at college :smile:
I've known people who go to the college, but I also attend it, and I can't exactly say if it is good or not, because I haven't had experience of many other schools, but I think it is good.
Class sizes depend on the subject, as I've seen some classrooms with 20-ish students, and some with 10-16 students (admittedly, so far those are the language A-Level classes).
Some tutors, I can't speak for all but I assume it is a general thing, do get on your case about attendance and punctuality, and some teachers are more demanding with homework, whilst others are so chill it is like the freaking Arctic. It not only depends on the subject, but on the teacher.
I have gone from being in a school where we were constantly badgered to hand in our homework and study our lives away, so the shock was going to a college in which there wasn't this constantly persistence. Many teachers DO tell you to revise the day's work after school, or do to extra reading on the topic, and blah blah blah, but they it is more of a strong recommendation.
As there are 4 1/2 hours of each subject per week, lessons are split into one 90 minute class, and another 3hr class (but it is 90 mins, a 15 min break, and then 90 mins), but it isn't as much of a drag as it may sound. It isn't 90 minutes of the teacher talking; in some subjects something may randomly provoke a ten minute discussion, or a short video about the topic will be shown, or there will be group work. Teachers DO make an effort to not make it such a boring class so it is much easier to stay alert when what we do changes.
In my experience, the students have been... average, I guess. I have literally been with a friend, and have had her friends come over, and sometimes we would just randomly talk. Half the time I don't know their names, but I've found people aren't always rude and stuff.
I've applied to go to candi as well, from the looks of the school it looks pretty good and the people were very nice as well. hopefully looks won't be deceiving. my interview is in March, quite excited tbh.
Terrible.
I'm currently there.
Beginning of the academic year my teacher was away a lot.. like we'd have a lesson once a month. Then he took medical leave, fair enough. The head of department said she'd give us catch up lessons in January. January came, she didn't. We came in one day and she told us that we have an exam the next day and we all started complaining and arguing saying why were we not told beforehand and she just kept on saying 'you should of been preparing'.. er but we have to do another 3 compulsory subjects.. that's x3 more assignments and x3 more exams..
I have honestly lost confidence in myself for picking this college.
God forbid you do decide to attend, there's one library staff you should stay away from. You'll know who I mean if you ever do join.
what subject teacher is this? and what subjects do you do?
Original post by maryam0505
Terrible.
I'm currently there.
Beginning of the academic year my teacher was away a lot.. like we'd have a lesson once a month. Then he took medical leave, fair enough. The head of department said she'd give us catch up lessons in January. January came, she didn't. We came in one day and she told us that we have an exam the next day and we all started complaining and arguing saying why were we not told beforehand and she just kept on saying 'you should of been preparing'.. er but we have to do another 3 compulsory subjects.. that's x3 more assignments and x3 more exams..
I have honestly lost confidence in myself for picking this college.
God forbid you do decide to attend, there's one library staff you should stay away from. You'll know who I mean if you ever do join.
I applied for the sake of it and didn't really bother to attend any of the opening evenings, but today I had my interview and idk I'm actually considering it now as the teachers and the atmosphere wasn't all that bad--better than my schools sixth form, anyway.
Also, their exam results are far better than my school's, with 70% A*-C (not the best, I know, but I'll take what I can get). If I dont get accepted into my first choice, then I guess it'll be Candi for me... kinda.
yh same, when i went to the interview it really did make me want to go to the sixth form even more as i attended the open day and it was quite good. Im just going to wait for the taster day to make my mind up.
Original post by readingblack
I applied for the sake of it and didn't really bother to attend any of the opening evenings, but today I had my interview and idk I'm actually considering it now as the teachers and the atmosphere wasn't all that bad--better than my schools sixth form, anyway.
Also, their exam results are far better than my school's, with 70% A*-C (not the best, I know, but I'll take what I can get). If I dont get accepted into my first choice, then I guess it'll be Candi for me... kinda.
Reply 9
I got accepted after the interview day, anyone else planning to go next year?
Original post by emdadul
I got accepted after the interview day, anyone else planning to go next year?

yh i think i'm going to attend candi in September, hopefully i get the results though :smile:
what subjects are you taking?
Reply 11
Original post by ann_kayy
yh i think i'm going to attend candi in September, hopefully i get the results though :smile:
what subjects are you taking?

Maths,economics,business,sociology
you?
[QUOTE="emdadul;54865345"]Maths,economics,business,sociology
you?[/QUOTE
Psychology, Biology, Philosophy, Fine art
very different classes :biggrin:
Reply 13
[QUOTE="ann_kayy;54865503"]
Original post by emdadul
Maths,economics,business,sociology
you?[/QUOTE
Psychology, Biology, Philosophy, Fine art
very different classes :biggrin:

Realised 😂 ur going to the 6th form one in angel?
Reply 14
I hope Candi isn't as bad as that! I'm probably going there and taking Maths, Economics, Sociology and maybe Philosophy but I'm planning to change that..
Reply 15
Original post by ymne
I hope Candi isn't as bad as that! I'm probably going there and taking Maths, Economics, Sociology and maybe Philosophy but I'm planning to change that..

Hope so too, here alot of negative stuff
Original post by ymne

yh me too but I have heard positive feed back as well, I might be doing philosophy too but I'm not sure anymore either.
Original post by ymne
I was thinking of taking English lit but only studying for a year bc of the skills i might gain from it but then i kinda want a subject that i can be creative in, academic subjects arent really my thing... what might you change philosophy to?

I might change it to film studies/photography but I'm not sure yet, I'm even considering textiles :confused::confused::confused::confused:
what about you?
Reply 18
Original post by ann_kayy
I might change it to film studies/photography but I'm not sure yet, I'm even considering textiles :confused::confused::confused::confused:
what about you?

I'm doing gcse photography and textiles right now and even though I have a high predicted grade for textiles, I doubt I'll carry on with it for a level. I did want to take photography, but I'm not sure they do a course that lets you do it for one year :/ if they do then I'll probably take it
Original post by ymne
I'm doing gcse photography and textiles right now and even though I have a high predicted grade for textiles, I doubt I'll carry on with it for a level. I did want to take photography, but I'm not sure they do a course that lets you do it for one year :/ if they do then I'll probably take it

ahh cool, well hopefully we'll meet in September! Good luck on your exams :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest