The Student Room Group

Buffers and Equilibria context

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ps1265A
I also have another question: the dissociation of an acid HA is endothermic, what effect will this have on the Ka if the concentration of the acid increased. I thought that because it's more concentrated, more H+ dissociated, so the conc of products becomes greater, therefore Ka because bigger. But the answer is no change.

Only one thing affects equilibrium constants and that's temperature ...
Original post by ps1265A
Sorry, I mean NaOH

To what?

ammonia?
Reply 22
Original post by charco
To what?

ammonia?

I'm going to start again.

If we wanted to form a buffer solution say with a weak acid, I can add NaOH to CH3COOH which means I will have a salt of the acid (sodium ethanoate) and a weak acid (ethanoic acid)

Now let's say we want to make a buffer with a weak base. I can add NH3 with HCl to form NH3Cl which is a salt of my weak base. Why can I not do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by charco

Ah, we have to consider Equilibria again! Just out of curiosity, why isn't what I said above correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ps1265A
I'm going to start again.

If we wanted to form a buffer solution say with a weak acid, I can add NaOH to CH3COOH which means I will have a salt of the acid (sodium ethanoate) and a weak acid (ethanoic acid)

Now let's say we want to make a buffer with a weak base. I can add NH3 with HCl to form NH3Cl which is a salt of my weak base. Why can I not do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can (although ammonium chloride is actually NH4Cl) provided the weak base is in excess ..
Reply 25
Original post by charco
You can (although ammonium chloride is actually NH4Cl) provided the weak base is in excess ..

Is that to prevent further substitution reactions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ps1265A
Is that to prevent further substitution reactions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it's because a basic buffer consists of a weak base and the salt of a weak base ...

... is all.
Reply 27
Original post by charco
No, it's because a basic buffer consists of a weak base and the salt of a weak base ...

... is all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by charco

Does this mean, say if I was titrating a weak acid with NaOH, despite the volume added of NaOH and the pH rise, the Ka will still stay the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ps1265A
Does this mean, say if I was titrating a weak acid with NaOH, despite the volume added of NaOH and the pH rise, the Ka will still stay the same

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ka is a constant. That means that it doesn't change.

Only one thing affects equilibrium constants and rate constants (which are related) and that's temperature ...
Reply 30
Good work students

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by charco
Ka is a constant. That means that it doesn't change.

Only one thing affects equilibrium constants and rate constants (which are related) and that's temperature ...

Thanks! I think I understand the context of buffers really well now!

I'm stuck on one part of the context: If we have a strong acid, is the concentration of H+ the SAME as the concentration of the acid (or) is the concentration of H+ makes up most of the concentration of the acid meaning that there is literally 0moldm-3 of the acid ITSELF in the solution?

Also, is the concentration of A- the same as that of H+? So if we had a strong acid and 95% was dissociated, would this mean we have 95% concentration of H+ and A- EACH?

Last question, kW is ALWAYS 1.00x10-14 at 298K, but varies at different temperatures. BUT water nevertheless has the same H+ and OH- concentration.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ps1265A
Thanks! I think I understand the context of buffers really well now!

I'm stuck on one part of the context: If we have a strong acid, is the concentration of H+ the SAME as the concentration of the acid (or) is the concentration of H+ makes up most of the concentration of the acid meaning that there is literally 0moldm-3 of the acid ITSELF in the solution?

yes,it is the same as the stated original acid concentration

and yes, there are no acid molecules left in the solution.

Also, is the concentration of A- the same as that of H+?

yes

So if we had a strong acid and 95% was dissociated, would this mean we have 95% concentration of H+ and A- EACH?

yes

Last question, kW is ALWAYS 1.00x10-14 at 298K, but varies at different temperatures. BUT water nevertheless has the same H+ and OH- concentration.

yes
Reply 33
Original post by charco

yes

yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by charco

yes

yes

Is a buffer essentially formed at the half-neutralisation point between a weak acid and NaOH? Is this a 2:1?

Why is it said that we need "excess" acid and a strong base?
Original post by ps1265A
Is a buffer essentially formed at the half-neutralisation point between a weak acid and NaOH? Is this a 2:1?

Why is it said that we need "excess" acid and a strong base?

If you haven't got more acid than base then you haven't got any left after reaction!
Original post by Pigster
Easy peasy way of losing a mark.

Buffers do not keep pH constant, they minimise pH changes on addition of small amounts of an acid or a base.

I was speaking qualitatively. Compared to adding the same volume of acid/base to a regular solution then relatively buffers do keep the pH constant. But you're right the pH would change a tiny bit

Quick Reply

Latest