The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurensmiley97
Applied to Cambridge, Liverpool, Bristol and Nottingham, have conditional offers from Cambridge and Bristol, an interview at Liv and a rejection from notts

Original post by aspiredvet
I applied to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Nottingham and Bristol. Have conditional offers from Ed, Notts and Bristol. Still waiting to hear from Glasgow post-interview.

What do you think you will choose as your Firm & Insurance - and why?
Original post by 09brownk
Hi everyone. Was just curious to where people have applied for vet med and what offers people have already? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Nottingham and RVC. I got four interviews but I withdrew from Notts pre-interview, conditional offers for Edi and RVC and still waiting to hear from Glasgow after my interview :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CanineVet
I applied to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Nottingham and RVC. I got four interviews but didn't attend Notts, conditional offers for Edi and RVC and still waiting to hear from Glasgow after my interview

Likely Firm and Insurance? And why?
Original post by CanineVet
I applied to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Nottingham and RVC. I got four interviews but I withdrew from Notts pre-interview, conditional offers for Edi and RVC and still waiting to hear from Glasgow after my interview :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interested to know why you withdrew from Nottingham? :smile:
Original post by sydneybridge

I think I will firm Edinburgh, but am still waiting to hear from Glasgow and then I will make my final decision. I really love Edinburgh as a city and the people. Also the vet school seems amazing and how it has a house system. Only fall back is that the conditions are fairly high.

I'll firm Cambridge because I love the whole collegiate system and the small group supervisions. If I get Liverpool then that'll probably be my insurance just because Bristol's really far away! :smile:
Wow well done! 2 unconditionals that's amazing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! So happy!! :smile:
Original post by katehassall
No, still waiting to hear from Notts, but my post always comes a couple of days after everyone else from nottingham so I'm expecting my letter soon! How about you?:smile:

Ah cool, hopefully it's good news! I haven't got a letter from them yet but I have had offers over the phone and through UCAS from them. Good luck! :smile:
Hey everyone :smile:
I have an offer from RVC and Nottingham, an interview still for Liverpool and was rejected by Cambridge, and I was hoping that Nottingham, like RVC, would have an offer day to help us decide between, but I haven't seen anything about it, does anyone know if Nottingham are doing anything like this or has any tips on how they're deciding :smile:)))
Likely Firm and Insurance? And why?

Well I've still to hear from Glasgow and that would make a sure difference if I got an offer but currently Edinburgh would be my firm as the campus is so vibrant and the facilities are outstanding. The university in general is amazing and the school's personality is very relaxing and amiable and makes you feel almost like you are home: such a positive place to be :biggrin: As a Scottish student, the conditions I was given are very fair and hopefully achievable (BB at advanced higher + C at higher). If I don't hear any positive news from Glasgow, Edi would definitely be firm but I would be a bit hesitant to make RVC my insurance as they conditions are a bit higher (AA at AH + C at H) so it would be virtually impossible to fail to meet my conditions for Edi and therefore get rejected but still be able to get accepted by the RVC haha!

Original post by katehassall
Interested to know why you withdrew from Nottingham? :smile:

My interview for Notts was scheduled for 25th Feb but I got an offer for Edi on the 13th January so I knew then that Edi would always be a preference for me over Notts (as I live in Glasgow so it would be much easier and the Edinburgh vet school is lovely) and even if I were to eventually get an offer for Notts I would be given higher conditions as a Scottish student so I felt there would be no point in going as I wouldn't make it my firm choice and I didn't want to miss anymore school time leading up to the exams. I was really appreciative of my interview invitation, it was just that my situation had changed and I felt that it wouldn't have been the most sensible option for me if I attended and I would have rather let someone else be given the opportunity of an interview there that would need it more than me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Does anyone know if Nottingham has an applicant day, like Surrey, for people who have got offers?
Original post by danielles94
So was unsuccessful this year :frown: going to reapply next year after hearing some people have got In on second attempt. Has anyone got in on second or even third attempt and got any advice to give for reapplication and interview?! Also good ideas to spend my gap year, a bit work experience will definitely fit in somewhere!

I'm going to suggest something slightly out of the norm as it could be a possible option for you. I had a gap year and I actually wound up going to my local agricultural college studying an NVQ level 2 in Agriculture. Now, that doesn't sound very impressive- it was GCSE level- so fairly basic- but what it did enable me to do was LOADS of work experience during the year.

Before I got on the course I explained to the chap running it my situation and we stroke up a deal- he'd let me do as much work experience as I could get, give me the school's farming contacts for more experience as long as I got the work done in my spare time. Given most of my assignments were posters/small essays on varying bits and bobs (I'll admit, some of it was really interesting, I had to do an essay on silage nutrition values that I went a bit 'far' on), I had a really interesting year. Now, I'll admit I had a year out of the norm, and certainly I can understand why other colleges wouldn't let you do what I did- but it might be another option.

Work experience for any gap year, alongside some paid work if applicable is a must, but... don't be afraid to look 'outside of the box' for other things to do. Yes, the route I took was unconventional (plus certainly won't be available to all- I had a very good relationship with our agricultural college prior) but there's always other options. If I hadn't of done that year I'd have missed out on a few fantastic opportunities- getting to take part in an agricultural livestock competition (which amazingly we took first place on) being one of them! Don't be afraid to take a weekend out from your planning, sit down and brainstorm your options for the forthcoming year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi everyone. Was just curious to where people have applied for vet med and what offers people have already? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to Nottingham, Surrey, RVC and Liverpool and I had interviews from RVC, Liverpool and Surrey. I have an unconditional offer from Surrey and a conditional offer from RVC, just waiting to hear back from Liverpool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by megannlizz
I applied to Nottingham, Surrey, RVC and Liverpool and I had interviews from RVC, Liverpool and Surrey. I have an unconditional offer from Surrey and a conditional offer from RVC, just waiting to hear back from Liverpool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you a re applicant ? If so, how comes RVC didn't give you an unconditional? Well done though for the offers regardless!!! Which is your favourite? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applied to Surrey notts Bristol and Liverpool .... Looks like they are all going to tell me to 'bugger off'.... Again!
Hi everyone. Anyone else still waiting to hear from Glasgow and/or Edinburgh still might have a bit of a wait. I spoke to someone who emailed them both and Glasgow will be giving offers out between the middle and end of this month and Edinburgh said they hope to make all remaining offers in the week beginning the 23rd of March.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Alex15
Anyone got an offer from nottingham this week?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got my Nottingham offer the other week and got the letter today! so its on paper and official :biggrin: you also get a little fridge magnet in your letter pack
Original post by wanttobevet
Applied to Surrey notts Bristol and Liverpool .... Looks like they are all going to tell me to 'bugger off'.... Again!

Arh there is still time yet. If they haven't rejected you then you are still being considered so that's good! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by agn2244
Hey everyone :smile:
I have an offer from RVC and Nottingham, an interview still for Liverpool and was rejected by Cambridge, and I was hoping that Nottingham, like RVC, would have an offer day to help us decide between, but I haven't seen anything about it, does anyone know if Nottingham are doing anything like this or has any tips on how they're deciding :smile:)))

Well done on your offers. Any idea when the RVC offers day is, and do you have to book?
Original post by sam.richardson
Well done on your offers. Any idea when the RVC offers day is, and do you have to book?

RVC offer days are the 15th and 16th of April. They'll send out more info closer to the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending