The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SA-1
How's it different in China? Always wanted to go but haven't had the opportunity yet.

It's good to hear that cultural barriers weren't an issue when it came to choosing your wife, something that for some reason is still an issue in this day and age. Hope everything unfolds for the better for you mate, it will do eventually :smile:

china is crazy - made a long post about it here when I came back from a trip a few weeks ago.

In short though: my personal experiances were:

+ friendliest place I have been to
+ very cheap cost of of living compared to here
+ amazing food..
+ great to experiance a very different culture to ours
+ beautiful country, outside of the cities
+ cities are huge and exciting.. but:

- really crowded in the cities
- polution is a real issue
- inequality is pretty rife sometimes (see the posts above, about being treated better for being white)
- the roads/drivign is crazy...
- country is huge, travelling between places is a real pain, and makes me thankful for how quick we can get from one major city to another in our country.

thats about it for general china things for me
Original post by Tom_Ford
Here is a paradox tbh that most people do not realise regarding the white lad and the oriental lady. People say in the media that the oriental lady is an object of fetish and that may be true. But it works the other way too, these oriental ladies see the white guy as an object of fetish so it really works both ways. A trophy and status symbol. .

could not agree with this part more so true. yet your right, it rarely ever gets mentioned.

my personal experiance though - is that in the circles of chinese female friends that me and my wife have, the attitude has always been that dating/seeing a wesetern boy is cool... but then you go back to china to marry a chinese boy. Not sure how that relates to the country as a whole, as I only have experiance of small social circles of people.. but within that, this is the vibe that I got. especially from those studying for a year or two in england.. my wife got some really bad reactions actually when she said that she was actually going to marry/settle down with this english lad, instead of leaving him after her studies finished, to go back and find a chinese boy.
Original post by fallen_acorns
could not agree with this part more so true. yet your right, it rarely ever gets mentioned.

my personal experiance though - is that in the circles of chinese female friends that me and my wife have, the attitude has always been that dating/seeing a wesetern boy is cool... but then you go back to china to marry a chinese boy. Not sure how that relates to the country as a whole, as I only have experiance of small social circles of people.. but within that, this is the vibe that I got. especially from those studying for a year or two in england.. my wife got some really bad reactions actually when she said that she was actually going to marry/settle down with this english lad, instead of leaving him after her studies finished, to go back and find a chinese boy.

This is nothing new, just a standard case of females having an extended 'stag night' type of thing abroad. You see it a lot in holiday areas with westerners too in Europe. But I find that type of mentality unconscionable so I like what your wife did.

Edit: guess what i want to get across is that people are not accessories. They're not just a fad like an Iphone.
(edited 9 years ago)
This is nothing new, just a standard case of females having an extended 'stag night' type of thing abroad. You see it a lot in holiday areas with westerners too in Europe. But I find that type of mentality unconscionable so I like what your wife did.

Edit: guess what i want to get across is that people are not accessories. They're not just a fad like an Iphone.

Would rep if I could. completely agree
PWC assessment centre, and an interview where they'll focus on my maths (mainly calculus) abilities. I'm not in the position to take either jobs but general advice, on how I can make the most of it?
I get what you mean.

Me and my wife have spent a long time talking about raising our future children, and getting the right balance of cultures. we both want our child to have a life made up of each of our cultures.. but its not going to be easy to do.. language, is a problem we can solve, but family and culture is more diffiicult.. we have spoken about spending extended periods in each country, making sure they get to tavel and visit their relitives enough etc. and the problems of each culture when it comes to raising kids (massive generalisations here.. but for instance, british teenage life can be pretty crazy, which my wife does not really like.. whereas I am not so fond of the over-working of children that I have seen in china.. where primary aged kids are working 10+ hours a day and doing tons of homeowrk, instead of playing)

Its certianly an extra consideration that growing up I never thought about, when I daydreamed about my future family.. but teaching our children to be proud of both of their cultures is something that will be really important for us.

- have any advice for a couple who will be trying to raise a child with two cultures?

If you raise your kids well, they won't have the big meltdown identity crisis that many mixed heritage kids have when they come of age.

Most important point is obvious, emphasise that they should love who they are, that is that they came from two backgrounds and that being different like that is something to see as a symbol of victory against prejudice and respect between human beings, not as a negative thing.

Attach them to a large variety of friends from different backgrounds.

On Sundays, take them to Chinese school, many of those friends you make there will be your friends for life.

If family members do not fully accept them, you both must emphasise that it is not their fault.

Take them to see the Arsenal, it is best to start them young. Sport teaches us all the right values such as respect, perseverance, camaraderie with your teammates.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samba
Ah shame man. Gonna be hiring 2 in the next few months.

Ah well, if customer service, building inspection, or receptionist interests you.... :biggrin:

Where are you based?
Original post by jam277
On a lighter note(pardon the future pun) I'd like to do some song writing/composing in the future. Starting now and I'm liking it so far.

I spit bars uno
Reply 1448
If you raise your kids well, they won't have the big meltdown identity crisis that many mixed heritage kids have when they come of age.

Most important point is obvious, emphasise that they should love who they are, that is that they came from two backgrounds and that being different like that is something to see as a symbol of victory against prejudice and respect between human beings, not as a negative thing.

Attach them to a large variety of friends from different backgrounds.

On Sundays, take them to Chinese school, many of those friends you make there will be your friends for life.

If family members do not fully accept them, you both must emphasise that it is not their fault.

Take them to see the Arsenal, it is best to start them young. Sport teaches us all the right values such as respect, perseverance, camaraderie with your teammates.

:arsenal::rofl:

One of the vitals of being a good parent
Reply 1449
Original post by All Day
I spit bars uno

Myspace or GTFO

:cool:
Original post by SA-1
Myspace or GTFO

:cool:

lool I wish. I'll holla when I've made a mixtape
plug
Reply 1452
Anyone seen Divergent? Is it worth watching?

Trailer's a bit meh, but it's got a solid 4 stars

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SA-1
Anyone seen Divergent? Is it worth watching?

Trailer's a bit meh, but it's got a solid 4 stars

Posted from TSR Mobile

its very... ok.

Would say the exact same thing about the recent maze runner film.

Both are just... ok.

I mean, they are not bad films - but neither do I find myself really enjoying them, desperate to see the next etc.

As a film to watch at home, when you want something that is not to taxing or heavy.. they tick a lot of boxes. but invitably, dispite being enjoyable.. they will always look short compared to the hunger games.. (not that no.3 was very good, but the first two atleast)

(but then again, I am about 7 years older then their target demographic..so..)

Does it though? Playing sport maybe but football seems to make people do or say very hateful things.

Not that I don't love it anyway but...
following on from the top gear stuff on this thread a few days ago..

I dont dislike her, but, I just really really really do not want to watch the hypothetical show with her in it..

http://www.divamag.co.uk/category/arts-entertainment/could-sue-perkins-replace-jeremy-clarkson-on-top-gear.aspx
Original post by All Day
PWC assessment centre, and an interview where they'll focus on my maths (mainly calculus) abilities. I'm not in the position to take either jobs but general advice, on how I can make the most of it?

Start of the group assessment, make sure you say 'I'm the captain now'. You've won as soon as you say that; leadership skills.
My **** arrived yesterday night apparently,. And what abut Arsenal? How wll they do without me?

Thank god my brother is here already

Berlin, I already wish I was back in London.....
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1458
Original post by All Day
Where are you based?

Manchester of course, city of light!

following on from the top gear stuff on this thread a few days ago..

I dont dislike her, but, I just really really really do not want to watch the hypothetical show with her in it..

http://www.divamag.co.uk/category/arts-entertainment/could-sue-perkins-replace-jeremy-clarkson-on-top-gear.aspx

The BBC seem determined to waste license fee money don't they?
Really nice film is ''In the Name of the Father''

The police lifted the nearest Irish blokes they could find after a bombing. Lifted their family in Belfast and this old Irish fella died who couldnt care less about the troubles died inside. These guys spent 15 years inside before ir turns out the DCs completely fabricated the evidence. The ***** who did it told the police that, they left these guys to rot.

Makes you think. But tbh most police officers are cretins
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest