The Student Room Group

Congratulations to the Greek left! The movement against austerity....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
It's quite simple. Saying something like 'austerity is needed' requires no justification or coherent well thought out argument to support it as it is mainstream accepted doctrine. This then just creates a cascade effect where it get to the point where a ludicrous claim that has very little actual evidence to back it up becomes an accepted truth among the majority of the population. It gets repeated so much that it makes its way into established 'fact' in most people's heads. 'Austerity is working and is the only way' is an example of one.

Anyone who states something that isn't accepted dogma has to go through the rigorousness process of justifying their view point(which all they all should). Then even if they do they still get treated as looneys.

That isn't a conspiracy theory. It is how politics works in liberal democracies.

Well, lets apply Occams razor to the situation:

1. Major economies are enforcing austerity, something is stifling growth and hurts themselves, because it is necessary.

2. Major economies have made up the need for austerity, fabricated the financial crisis, which all hurts themselves, because they aren't really humans but are Illuminati Lizards bent on making everyone poorer.

I know what additional premises I'd shave off.
Original post by anastas
Why would you say you're biased?

Party it is to make sure I don't get to self confident in what I think. Force me to question myself etc.

I want left wing libertarian stuff to work. I tend to have a selection bias in looking for ways in proving how they can work and or haved worked. Don't spend enough time looking at the criticism or looking for eveidense that say proves that I am wrong.

Plus eveyone is bias to some extent, even the most rigorous of people.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Party it is to make sure I don't get to self confident in what I think. Force me to question myself etc.

I want left wing libertarian stuff to work. I tend to have a selection bias in looking for ways in proving how they can work and or haved worked. Don't spend enough time looking at the criticism or looking for eveidense that say proves that I am wrong.

Plus eveyone is bias to some extent, even the most rigorous of people.

Thanks for clarifying that, it's good that you acknowlege how you feel about things and that you're not cocky and full of yourself. Agree with you on questioning yourself and why you have a certain view (anyone can have opinions but it's important to justify and reason them) and the left wing stuff, the problem seems to be that many of them are hard to work, maybe because enough people lack faith in their efficiency.
Reply 303
Austerity should be applied case by case, in my opinion. The problem arises when one dominant economy, for whom austerity works alright, is trying to impose the same system upon a union (which is more geopolitical than economic) which comprises different economies with diffrent components and functioning systems, for whom the austerity model might not work but is being imposed on them regardless. Germany might need austerity, but Europe doesn't. It is simply not working. And the fact that Germany needs austerity is still quite open for debate you know. It's not like an end all be all policy that is supported by the majority across the entirety of the German political spectrum... Let's not forget that there are many economical policies and systems that have yielded vastly greater amounts of growth and profit than austerity, or if not, they've at least been much smoother and palatable on the social/humanitarian scale.
Reply 304
Original post by AVGA17
Austerity should be applied case by case, in my opinion. The problem arises when one dominant economy, for whom austerity works alright, is trying to impose the same system upon a union (which is more geopolitical than economic) which comprises different economies with diffrent components and functioning systems, for whom the austerity model might not work but is being imposed on them regardless. Germany might need austerity, but Europe doesn't. It is simply not working. And the fact that Germany needs austerity is still quite open for debate you know. It's not like an end all be all policy that is supported by the majority across the entirety of the German political spectrum... Let's not forget that there are many economical policies and systems that have yielded vastly greater amounts of growth and profit than austerity, or if not, they've at least been much smoother and palatable on the social/humanitarian scale.

I don't think you can claim the eu is primarily geopolitical when it has a shared currency. It is primarily economic That is the issue of the eu. Because of the shared currency you cannot so things case by case. If Greece had its own currency there is a lot more it could do than it currently is. But because of the euro it is beholden to Germany.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 305
Original post by Aj12
I don't think you can claim the eu is primarily geopolitical when it has a shared currency. It is primarily economic That is the issue of the eu. Because of the shared currency you cannot so things case by case. If Greece had its own currency there is a lot more it could do than it currently is. But because of the euro it is beholden to Germany.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true. I think what I mean't to say was the reason of its creation/existance is primarily geopolitical. But yeah, the only way it can work is if the there was no euro, or if the economies were intergrated even more, with common fiscal policy and etc. But better yet, just scrap austerity. Implement a model that works for everyone not one that serves the dominator
Original post by AVGA17
That's true. I think what I mean't to say was the reason of its creation/existance is primarily geopolitical. But yeah, the only way it can work is if the there was no euro, or if the economies were intergrated even more, with common fiscal policy and etc. But better yet, just scrap austerity. Implement a model that works for everyone not one that serves the dominator

Ths solution to the crisis was actual rather simple.. mutualized debt. When you look at the Euro as a currency it's weakened but it's not like there's been a massive run on it, had debt also been collectively pooled and Euro-bonds issued then the market would have judged the whole as little worse than the USA. That's essentially why Detroit can be bankrupt (even New York almost went bankrupt in the 70's) while the market judges the nation as a whole as okay.
Reply 307
Original post by Rakas21
Ths solution to the crisis was actual rather simple.. mutualized debt. When you look at the Euro as a currency it's weakened but it's not like there's been a massive run on it, had debt also been collectively pooled and Euro-bonds issued then the market would have judged the whole as little worse than the USA. That's essentially why Detroit can be bankrupt (even New York almost went bankrupt in the 70's) while the market judges the nation as a whole as okay.

But then that's far too much integration for the EU. Sure they want to be constantly moving toward integration but who knows what that means and the date of that is somewhere over there
Original post by Aj12
But then that's far too much integration for the EU. Sure they want to be constantly moving toward integration but who knows what that means and the date of that is somewhere over there

True and it's something that's divided nations (Spain, France and Italy are pushing for it, Germany, Austria and Netherlands have said no). But it's the only credible long term solution that i see.
Original post by Rakas21
True and it's something that's divided nations (Spain, France and Italy are pushing for it, Germany, Austria and Netherlands have said no). But it's the only credible long term solution that i see.

It's another marker though of how non-viable the Euro project truly is and was from the start, in that it is another 'weakening of the currency' that is completely unacceptable to Germany and he who calls the piper... Germany always and cynically wanted a Euro that would serve Germany and the poor and marginal in the extreme South and West can basically, er, go hang.

The Euro was a mistake not because it could never work but because the political cart was put before the political horse. Currency follows true political union, not the other way around and every lesson from history confirms this.

Sadly it is increasingly looking like it will fission into pieces, not peacefully but chaotically. I think there will be a collapse within the next 5 years and it will be bad. We should prepare for the worst economically here as well.
Reply 310
So by the looks of it, Europe will fall... That's very sad. But I suppose it was inevitable, after so many millennia of global prominence and domination.
I don't see this collapse personally. Europe can cope with a Grexit and there's no sufficient political pressure anywhere albeit Italy and France don't seem to have the political will to get round the bend.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's another marker though of how non-viable the Euro project truly is and was from the start
Hello, Norman Tebbit. I'm glad you could make it. If you'd like to take a seat, I'm sure Milton Friedman will be pleased to pour you a cup of tea.
Original post by AVGA17
Myths and Misconceptions about the Greek Crisis.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite3_1_08/12/2011_417884

http://www.socsci.uci.edu/~sskaperd/SkaperdasMythsWP1011.pdf

https://greekleftreview.wordpress.com/2011/11/12/seven-myths-about-the-greek-debt-crisis/

This is for all of those claiming that Greece should've never joined the euro, lived beyond their means like a spoilt child, and all the like. For your own information and education, I implore you all to read at least one of the links provided above. There is undeniable evidence that throughout the crisis, Greece has undergone a disproportionate amount of scapegoating for problems that were not necessarily of her own fault. It's much better to make the crisis seem like entirely Greece's own fault, than to have potential flaws in the European Concept exposed to international markets.
The fact that there is even a Wikipedia page dedicated to the Misconceptions in regards to the Crisis must be saying something. Frankly, I am surprised at just how persistent these myths have proven to be. For the love of god people, inform yourselves.

Thank you.

I'm sorry if what I am reading is very different from what you have read, but these links are saying that the EUro is responsible for the Greeks' problems.

This is not entirely true but it is to a large extent true.

However, you are presenting this as evidence against the claim that Greece should not have joined the EUro. If the EUro is the problem, then it makes perfect sense that Greece should not have joined, doesn't it?
Original post by Rakas21
I don't see this collapse personally. Europe can cope with a Grexit and there's no sufficient political pressure anywhere albeit Italy and France don't seem to have the political will to get round the bend.

I think you may be underestimating the extent to which politics in those countries is going to trump reasoned argument. In France, the Front Nationale, which is committed to leaving the EU, is often showing as ahead in the Presidential polling.
http://www.newsweek.com/marine-le-pen-leads-french-presidential-poll-30-vote-303066

The problem is that whilst the EU could be capable (and sometimes is) of doing many good things, the Euro has painted it into a corner as an institution, as have some other 'ahead of the people' policies like Schengen. I suppose the problem fundamentally is that the EU was designed like a French elitist institution, dictating 'wise and benevolent' policies from above, but globalisation has passed it by, so the politics of the masses are no longer workable into the prescribed framework.

It's a great pity that the beneficiaries of all this are the far right, but it's predictable, because it's so easy for them to jump on the soft targets of immigration and Islamic extremism against a background of recession and stagnation. The Euro has no formula for unleashing economic growth against a background of crushing French-style bureaucracy and German recalcitrance and self-serving.
Original post by Observatory
Hello, Norman Tebbit. I'm glad you could make it. If you'd like to take a seat, I'm sure Milton Friedman will be pleased to pour you a cup of tea.

Yeah, I hate to be in their company. :frown: It's a question of motives. Tebbit is against the whole EU concept, which I'm not. I'm against the single currency being uploaded before its time. If the EU were a truly integrated and sovereign entity, it could work. However, it wasn't when they introduced the Euro and it is even less so now.

Let's say that Le Pen comes to power in France in 2017. Her first announcement is that she now has a mandate to walk France at minimum out of the Euro and Schengen and if the EU won't agree, she will leave that to.

With France out, other major EU countries will inevitably follow suit and the mad Euro scheme will come to an abrupt end. There will probably be a major banking crisis and a major international crisis as currencies move violently around, etc. France will also probably withdraw from many other international agreements. Germany will move to total economic dominance as the Mark reasserts itself. The UK economy will slump badly because of all the banking interlocks, but might recover quickly if the government do the right things. Possibly the whole EU project might end to. It will be difficult to see the point of Brussels if Paris is not part of it.

The extremist right will surge in some other countries and there may be extensive political turmoil, particularly in some regions, that will become even more desperate to separate from their host countries.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah, I hate to be in their company. :frown: It's a question of motives. Tebbit is against the whole EU concept, which I'm not. I'm against the single currency being uploaded before its time. If the EU were a truly integrated and sovereign entity, it could work. However, it wasn't when they introduced the Euro and it is even less so now.

It could work in the sense that there could be a mechanism for transferring unlimited sums of money from Germany to Greece that the Germans cannot veto.

What the EU would really need to succeed in this sense is not a common political system but a common language and nationality, either to make indefinite transfers like that palatable, or to allow Greeks to move freely to Germany, France, Scandinavia, and the UK, not in terms of bare legal possibility, but to feel that they can do so and not really even leave home, as an American can move from NY to LA without leaving the country. I don't think there is any practicable and palatable course of action that can bring that about, at least in the next fifty years, possibly ever.

If you agree that the EUro isn't stable then I think the conclusion has to be that the EU can go only as far as a confederation between independent states that act together when they see their interests aligned together naturally, without a common currency and without ratcheting integration. That is essentially the conservative view in the UK.

Let's say that Le Pen comes to power in France in 2017. Her first announcement is that she now has a mandate to walk France at minimum out of the Euro and Schengen and if the EU won't agree, she will leave that to.

With France out, other major EU countries will inevitably follow suit and the mad Euro scheme will come to an abrupt end. There will probably be a major banking crisis and a major international crisis as currencies move violently around, etc. France will also probably withdraw from many other international agreements. Germany will move to total economic dominance as the Mark reasserts itself. The UK economy will slump badly because of all the banking interlocks, but might recover quickly if the government do the right things. Possibly the whole EU project might end to. It will be difficult to see the point of Brussels if Paris is not part of it.

The extremist right will surge in some other countries and there may be extensive political turmoil, particularly in some regions, that will become even more desperate to separate from their host countries.

With the exception of the NF - which I think is primarily about Islam and French nationality, not the Euro or other actions of people outside of France - the extremists rising right now are all on the far left. I can imagine a sort of lame restoration of communism in Europe with Portugal, Spain, Greece, and maybe Italy becoming Latin American-style leftist hybrid regimes, settling on a Latin American standard of living. That would be sad for the world, but from a purely self-interested point of view, so what?
(edited 9 years ago)
According to a survey from Hans Bockler foundation, where 260.000 Greek households were taken into account, during the crisis years taxes got raised 337% for working class Greeks and 9% for the upper class. The income of a middle class family was reduced on average up to 25% between 2008 and 2015. In 2012, 1 in 3 households was living with 7.000 euros (5.06543837 pounds) per year. So far, middle and working class households have lost 86% of their income while for the upper class the percentages are between 16% to 20%.
Without a doubt, this is definitely a success story.

Syriza's victory in Greece should be a role model for us here in the UK

You're jumping the gun. Let's just wait and see how their negotiations pan out.

If Greece is unable to obtain a line of credit, they are ****ed. They are highly dependant on international trade and credit; becoming a pariah state will be catastrophic.

Syriza merely shows us how impractical and detached from reality the far left can be. It will be a painful lesson for the Greeks; either they will see Syriza dilute and compromise their platform, or they will see their economy tank
Looks like the Greeks have raised war reparations again.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/mar/23/tsipras-raises-nazi-war-reparations-claim-at-berlin-press-conference-with-merkel

do you think that we'd be able to claim that money back from the Greeks in the unlikely event of the Germans paying up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending