The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6840
Original post by chuckbeansy
Four interviews, four rejections, struggling to see the point of reapplying at the moment. It would be easy to put a lack of work experience right in a gap year, but if I can't get even one out of four think I've got what it takes when I'm sitting right in front of them then I obviously have a massive problem...I'll ask for feedback but has anyone else managed to fail as spectacularly as this?

My son had four interviews and four rejections last year. At the time it felt like the end of the world and he felt like a failure. However, after getting feedback, he realised he was not a failure. He decided to take a different route after getting excellent results and he extremely happy and does not regret his decision. If you really want to be a vet, don't give up, focus on your exams and work on your weak feedback areas. I wish you every success in the future.
Original post by REVFAM
My son had four interviews and four rejections last year. At the time it felt like the end of the world and he felt like a failure. However, after getting feedback, he realised he was not a failure. He decided to take a different route after getting excellent results and he extremely happy and does not regret his decision. If you really want to be a vet, don't give up, focus on your exams and work on your weak feedback areas. I wish you every success in the future.

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to post. Yesterday it seemed like the end of the world but today - with so much support from people on here - I am feeling more positive. Just slightly dreading the interview feedback - it's going to hurt! But I am going to focus on nailing exams this summer...and I will definitely back next year! After some serious interview practise...
Bristol or surrey?!?
Original post by qwertyhg
Bristol or surrey?!?

Do you really want to spend 5 years living in .... Guildford?
At a half-finished Vet School with entirely new staff who havnt got a clue what they are doing?

Or would you rather live in the decent sized, vibrant city of Bristol with a great big, well-established Vet School with a fabulous worldwide reputation, a complete 'Uni experience', lots more students and lots more going on?
http://www.timeout.com/bristol
Original post by katehassall
Hi, does anyone know if you can get feedback from Nottingham post-interview? I thought you coukd, but I can't find out how and I saw someone on here say they didnt?? Thanks:smile:

They "give feedback" but in my opinion, Don't bother :')
Reply 6845
Any opinions on Glasgow v/s the RVC? Absolutely thrilled to have offers from my top two choices! But now to make a tough decision. Hoping you guys can be of some help! :smile:
Reply 6846
What about if you have had 4 rejections WITHOUT interview. I am really keen to reapply but not even having an interview is worrying.
Original post by sydneybridge
At a half-finished Vet School with entirely new staff who havnt got a clue what they are doing?

Or would you rather live in the decent sized, vibrant city of Bristol with a great big, well-established Vet School with a fabulous worldwide reputation, a complete 'Uni experience', lots more students and lots more going on?

I'm really excited to go to Surrey for the reason it is a new vet school. Most of the lecturers are vets or have come to Surrey from other vet schools across the country
Everyone said this about Nottingham when it first opened and after only a few years it's one of the top vet schools. I think we need new schools with new approaches to teaching instead of traditional ones which are more hands on

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hear you! Although I disagree with the bit about staff as they've come from other vet schools so are very clued up. But Yeh you're right about bristols reputation.. Although Surrey is the better uni

The staff do have a clue what they are doing. Gail Anderson, who heads up the entire vet school has already set up two vets schools ( one in Australia and Canada) and the lecturers are some of the best in the country, including Noel Fitzpatrick, and you can't say that he has no idea what he is talking about...
The school might be new but it will be finished by the time we start and as vethopeful2015 said this was what was said about Nottingham when it first opened.
Also I'd rather spend 5 years of my life in a place where the staff where so friendly and welcoming, compared to my interview at Bristol, where they weren't.
And it shows what you want in a uni if you just care about the reputation.👍
Original post by misras
Any opinions on Glasgow v/s the RVC? Absolutely thrilled to have offers from my top two choices! But now to make a tough decision. Hoping you guys can be of some help! :smile:

Glasgow, as RVC has loads more student so is less personal teaching, London is very expensive and I hear student are often less practical, as there aren't many farms in London. but I think you should go with whichever you feel most comfortable and is best for you

"New staff who havnt got a clue what they are doing"? Doubt it.

On the other hand, Surrey's admissions don't sit on TSR slagging off other vet schools, spouting nonsense, and practically begging offer holders to take up their places, so there's that :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ieda
What about if you have had 4 rejections WITHOUT interview. I am really keen to reapply but not even having an interview is worrying.

Sorry to hear of your four rejections :console: . Getting an interview is down to your personal statement and work experience, though, which I would argue are easier to sort out for next year than say, interview technique.

Reading your PS again, are you still happy with it? Are you coming across as someone who has sufficiently explored the career and that has chosen the course after careful consideration? Have you mentioned your interests outside of vetty endeavours? There are a few sample PSs on TSR which really helped me to write mine (obviously don't be tempted to 'borrow' chunks, though :wink: ). Some vet students on here offer a service where they'll read your PS for you and suggest improvements and that was insanely helpful, definitely worth using that if the students are offering it again this year.

As for wex, you may have had quantity in terms of number of weeks, but did you have variety? Large and smallies vets, farm, kennels, horses etc? Try and look for anything you're missing and pack it into summer so that you'll have sorted out the gaps by the time the new app cycle opens.

Best of luck for next year. :smile:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
"New staff who havnt got a clue what they are doing"? Doubt it.

On the other hand, Surrey's admissions don't sit on TSR slagging off other vet schools, spouting nonsense, and practically begging offer holders to take up their places, so there's that :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd be interested to know which Bristol admissions staff do what you've stated above?

Nothing wrong with Surrey at all - just different universities suit different people. As long as you choose whichever one you feel most positive about, it doesn't matter one bit what other people say. Go with your gut.
Reply 6854
How long are the university courses ... I mean is a 39 week contract for accommodation ok?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwertyhg
I hear you! Although I disagree with the bit about staff as they've come from other vet schools so are very clued up. But Yeh you're right about bristols reputation.. Although Surrey is the better uni

I have just checked thes global uni rankings 2014/15, bristol are about 100 places above Nottingham, in 2014 ref bristol in top 5 in uk, they are also way ahead if Nottingham on the good uni guide as well.... So I can only presume your claim that Surrey is a better uni is either based on a narrow metrics or just plain wrong. I have just wirhdrawn from Surrey and accepted an offer from elsewhere, fed up waiting for them.
Original post by wanttobevet
I have just checked thes global uni rankings 2014/15, bristol are about 100 places above Nottingham, in 2014 ref bristol in top 5 in uk, they are also way ahead if Nottingham on the good uni guide as well.... So I can only presume your claim that Surrey is a better uni is either based on a narrow metrics or just plain wrong. I have just wirhdrawn from Surrey and accepted an offer from elsewhere, fed up waiting for them.

Actually Surrey is ranked 12th and Bristol is 18th according to the complete university guide so it appears that Surrey is the better uni. But for the course Bristol has more experience so it depends what you're after. I went for where I loved the most, they're all vet schools for a reason....because they're all good enough to be one!
Original post by HannahHamish
Actually Surrey is ranked 12th and Bristol is 18th according to the complete university guide so it appears that Surrey is the better uni. But for the course Bristol has more experience so it depends what you're after. I went for where I loved the most, they're all vet schools for a reason....because they're all good enough to be one!

Apologies, I was checking notts and then incorrectly referring to Surrey. Error on my part. At the end of the day everyone will be happy as long as they get a place and that's what matters most. I do regard the THES and REF as more authoritative than the good uni guide.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by forumobserver
I'd be interested to know which Bristol admissions staff do what you've stated above?

Lol I was under the impression that Sydneybridge works in admissions :tongue:

I have nothing against Bristol, if that's what you think :tongue: I'm considering Bristol as my insurance choice whereas I didn't even apply to Surrey. I just think that Bristol is good enough that it speaks for itself and it's unnecessary to slate other vet schools to encourage people to go there, y'know?
Posted from TSR Mobile

That is a bit of a low blow I must say. I'm all for promoting your own vet school but to start aiming insults at institutes which you have never had any real experiences with is shallow and just nasty. Regardless of what position you are in (whether it be a student, admissions services etc. because you have never officially told us; you just came on here one day all guns blazing), who gives you the right to mock a place that you barely know anything about as everything you claim it to be has been derived from your own short-sighted presumptions. I also find it frankly shocking that you would try and knock down an establishment that is trying to make a name for itself in a positive way. I'm not trying to be mean to you (because I'm not like that to strangers) but I would suggest thinking a little about the impact of what you say before you write something on here next time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending