The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wanttobevet
Many thanks to you and moonlight above.... Looking forward to Bristol even more now.

Glad to hear it! It's definitely an awesome place to be :smile:
Reply 7001
Original post by Skylark365
Just accepted a conditional offer to Glasgow! Anyone have any advice on accomodation? I know there's one very close to the veterinary buildings but I can't remember the name! I also would like to say well done to everyone else with offers and don't give up anyone who hasn't gotten any, everyone deserves a place!

I'm sure the halls you're talking about are wolfson halls and they're caterered! I live in the city so I'll be staying at home but the other, self-catered halls I have seen offer holders talk about are munaro and queen margaret. congrats on your offer!
May I ask what grades you had to achieve to gain this place. I have heard that veterinary medicine is one of the most competitive subjects when compared to other science based subjects. Do you have any tips on how to ensure good grades or at least fighting chance. Very well done on the offer. I hope all goes well for you.
I am in the fortunate position of having vet med offers from Edinburgh, Bristol, RVC and Liverpool and i'm so undecided as to what to do. I never thought I'd have a choice! It makes sense for me to put RVC or Liverpool as my insurance as they have given me lower offers and I think I prefer Edinburgh/Bristol so it makes sense to have one of those as my firm. Any advice? I know I'm really lucky to have more than one offer but I just never thought it would happen and I now don't know where to choose, they're all so good!
Original post by Raph Olive
May I ask what grades you had to achieve to gain this place. I have heard that veterinary medicine is one of the most competitive subjects when compared to other science based subjects. Do you have any tips on how to ensure good grades or at least fighting chance. Very well done on the offer. I hope all goes well for you.

My conditions are B's in both advanced higher biology and chemistry. Last year I got 4A's and a B. I'd say just study as much as you can in all your subjects, work experience is important but don't let it take priority over your grades! Good luck!
Original post by rosieww
I am in the fortunate position of having vet med offers from Edinburgh, Bristol, RVC and Liverpool and i'm so undecided as to what to do. I never thought I'd have a choice! It makes sense for me to put RVC or Liverpool as my insurance as they have given me lower offers and I think I prefer Edinburgh/Bristol so it makes sense to have one of those as my firm. Any advice? I know I'm really lucky to have more than one offer but I just never thought it would happen and I now don't know where to choose, they're all so good!

I'm in the same position :redface: Do you mind if I ask what your offers are? Bristol offered me AAB but all my others are AAA and I'm really conflicted :redface: I think Edinburgh will be my firm and it makes sense for me to have Bris as insurance but I prefer the RVC and I've heard of them being lenient so I don't know what I should do :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7006
Original post by rosieww

What conditions did you get from each place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I'm in the same position :redface: Do you mind if I ask what your offers are? Bristol offered me AAB but all my others are AAA and I'm really conflicted :redface: I think Edinburgh will be my firm and it makes sense for me to have Bris as insurance but I prefer the RVC and I've heard of them being lenient so I don't know what I should do :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by 0802
What conditions did you get from each place?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My RVC and Liverpool offers are AA in bio and chem as I got an A* in photography a level that I took a year early and my ED and Bristol offers are AAA in bio, chem and maths. At the moment I'm thinking ed as firm and rvc as insurance but anything could make me change my mind.
out of interest why are you thinking to firm ed and why do you prefer rvc over Bristol?
Anyone know how many people are put on the Nottingham waiting list?!
Original post by EmaWema
I've just firmed Edinburgh! Yay I'm so excited 😬 does anyone have any useful information about accommodation in Edinburgh (or anywhere in general)? Should I go catered?

Yay! I'm going to Edinburgh too :smile: I want self catered accommodation just cause I quite like cooking and want more control over what I eat, I applied for Mansion Fountainbridge, Warrender Park Road and Abbeyhill, was your offer conditional or unconditional?
Received a conditional from Glasgow and have made it my firm :smile: so ecstatic and excited!!
Does anyone know when people on the Surrey waiting list should hear by? Asking for a friend as I didn't apply there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rosieww

I'm biased towards Edinburgh, but it is fantastic and would definitely put that as your firm. For your insurance I'd definitely put Liverpool, it has the best reputation out of the other three.

Original post by EmaWema
I've just firmed Edinburgh! Yay I'm so excited 😬 does anyone have any useful information about accommodation in Edinburgh (or anywhere in general)? Should I go catered?

The vast majority of people are in Pollock Halls. Yeah it can be a bit annoying with the set meal times, but it's rarely a problem. It's nice in the morning because they open early specifically so vets have enough time to get to Bush. And the amazing Pollock breakfast on a Sunday when you're hungover... Big plus.
Original post by Lizziefickling
If you can't make the post offer day I have Wednesday afternoons of and I'm happy to show you round/give you any more info if you're ever free to come have a look at Liverpool

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's a really nice offer, but I don't think I will be able to get up to Liverpool before the deadline, because its about 4 hours away and I have a lot of work but thank you. Also if it isn't too much trouble do you think it would be possible if you could post a first year timetable or just give me an idea of how full your timetable is? How many days do you spend at Leahurst?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Moonlight*
Hi, I'm a final year at Bristol. All of the lecture powerpoints are put online so you can go over them again and they also give out paper copies in the lecture. Some lecturers will also do long hand notes to go with their powerpoints as well and they often put additional resources and links to tutorials online that they think might be helpful. Some people also take a dictaphone and record the lectures so they can listen to them later.

I'm also a countryside person and I think Bristol is really green! There are The Downs which are right next to Stoke Bishop and I used to go to Brandon Hill Park in Clifton a lot which is really nice (and great for sledging when it snows :tongue: ). There are also lots of grass areas around the university buildings where you can sit out in the sun and have lunch :smile:

I personally think they are pretty good at letting you know whats in each different exam. The course has changed since I was in first year so it might be a bit different but we were always given practice questions beforehand and had lectures specifically to talk about what to expect in the exams.As well as exams you also have group and individual "coursework" that can count for up to 20% of the mark (this might have changed though!) but I would say the focus is mainly on written exams. There are practical exams in first and third year on animal handling and clinical skills and obviously final year is very practical based and there are must pass tasks.

At Bristol you do directed self education (DSE). There are normally a couple of things associated with each module such as writing a report, making a poster or doing a presentations. They are mostly group tasks and you get time allocated during the week to complete them and they count towards your final grade in that subject. They don't take very long to do though.

Hope that helps!

It does help, thank you. If you don't mind me asking but how expensive would you say Bristol is, I don't know if its just him but my brother is at Bristol and his accommodation is pretty pricey?
Original post by Stripes23
Here are my oh so professional mock ups using Excel. Couple of clarification points with the weekly timetable, it changes weekly for a start, this was a fairly average week. Live anatomy/DSE time is where we're split into groups, some each week will have live anatomy which is learning clinical skills on the animals in the barn, others have DSE time which is classed as protected time for us to do our DSE (coursework) but as most of the year we don't have any DSE assigned it can just be used for general work (or going home for a break!). And most of the lectures through the week are Animal Health Science, so anatomy, physiology or biochemistry. Thursday lectures are in Langford (forgot to mention that on the timetable) and are generally either animal management or professional studies. We don't always have histology either on tuesdays, it can also be a physiology lab.

Hi, I missed the earlier posts, is this a first year timetable? You get more than one afternoon off?
Original post by Skylark365
Just accepted a conditional offer to Glasgow! Anyone have any advice on accomodation? I know there's one very close to the veterinary buildings but I can't remember the name! I also would like to say well done to everyone else with offers and don't give up anyone who hasn't gotten any, everyone deserves a place!

For my accomodation I chose murano street as my first choices, however I know a lot of people have put down QM (I would have too if my student finance would have covered it!). The one close to the vet school is wolfson hall but it's catered so way more expensive and I didnt think it was worth it!
Original post by EmaWema
I've just firmed Edinburgh! Yay I'm so excited ������ does anyone have any useful information about accommodation in Edinburgh (or anywhere in general)? Should I go catered?

Hey! I've just firmed Edinburgh as well- this is all so exciting! :biggrin: I'm going for catered accommodation, mostly because I can't cook- but also because with all the work that we're going to have to do outside of lectures, it's nice to have hot food ready for you at reliable times. I've put Chancellors Court as my first choice... just if you were wondering about specifics :smile: x
Original post by Beckykatill
Hi, I missed the earlier posts, is this a first year timetable? You get more than one afternoon off?

Yeah this is a first year timetable. How much time off we get a week varies, as the timetable changes every week. We don't always have more than one afternoon off a week, or sometimes we have three. Sorry that's not very helpful but all I can say is that it changes.
Original post by Beckykatill
It does help, thank you. If you don't mind me asking but how expensive would you say Bristol is, I don't know if its just him but my brother is at Bristol and his accommodation is pretty pricey?

I stayed in the cheapest halls in first year so that wasn't bad at all (around £240 a month I think which included water/heating). In second and third year I lived in Clifton which was around £360 with bills on top. I would say that was about average with some a lot more and some a lot less. That was a few years ago now though so it has probably gone up. At Langford it's much cheaper and I would say the average is around £280 + bills. It's a lot cheaper than London though but more expensive than Liverpool however your maintenance loan will vary according to which uni you are at to help cover the costs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending