The Student Room Group

vet nursing

Scroll to see replies

Anyone who has an offer from RVC, there's a facebook page :smile:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1434826516829763/
got an offer from Harper Adams :smile: Has anyone else firmed Vet Nursing there?
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone still waiting for Vet Nursing offers?

Anyone still not made their Firm choice?
Original post by nickcoleman
Hi

Is anyone going to Askham Bryan this year for the Foundation Veterinary Nursing degree?

I am! did you attend the interview day in November December time?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kirstyjane_95
I am! did you attend the interview day in November December time?

I did! I only went to find out about the course but had my interview 2 weeks ago and now have a place for September. Going to be strange being 29 and going to uni but really looking forward to it!
I did! I only went to find out about the course but had my interview 2 weeks ago and now have a place for September. Going to be strange being 29 and going to uni but really looking forward to it!

IM sure you will blend in fine. I'm really exicted but nervous at the same time! What made you choose Askham?
IM sure you will blend in fine. I'm really exicted but nervous at the same time! What made you choose Askham?

I'm excited as well but September seems a long time away! I really liked the campus and that the staff were really friendly. I also spoke to a couple of newly qualified nurses at my placement and they both said that it is a good place to go. Is Askham your first choice?
I'm excited as well but September seems a long time away! I really liked the campus and that the staff were really friendly. I also spoke to a couple of newly qualified nurses at my placement and they both said that it is a good place to go. Is Askham your first choice?

Askham is my first choice as it's closer to home for me so makes it easier for me. I've heard very mixed options of Asham from people currently doing the course and the site wasn't what I thought I would be like
Askham is my first choice as it's closer to home for me so makes it easier for me. I've heard very mixed options of Asham from people currently doing the course and the site wasn't what I thought I would be like

Where abouts are you from? I live in Leeds so it's not too far away and I'm going to use the free bus to get to Askham and back.

Have you managed to get a placement sorted yet?
Where abouts are you from? I live in Leeds so it's not too far away and I'm going to use the free bus to get to Askham and back.

Have you managed to get a placement sorted yet?

I'm from Whitby (near Scarborough) so it's a tad further for me. Not yet haven't applied for one yet waiting to get my exams finished also need two more weeks experience yet haha. You?
Rvc offer holder for the BSc and FDSc so im so excited :biggrin:
What is the ratio of placement to study per week?

Would you be able to have a part time job whilst doing this course or is it a bit too demanding?

Thanks.
Anyone taking a Gap Year before applying or reapplying for Vet Nursing, there are jobs called 'Veterinary Nurse Assistant' or 'Animal Care Assistant' which usually only require GCSEs and enthusiasm, and which would give you heaps of valuable experience, and really make your application standout. One example : http://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Medivet/jobs/Veterinary-Nurse-Assistant-64fccc4986125169
Original post by 2cool4scool
Hey guys,
I'm currently in year 12 and am hoping to study Vet Nursing at uni, but I'm a bit confused about the whole Bsc (Hons) or FdSc. For some universities, you can do the Bsc straight after A-levels, but others call it a top-up? I'm not sure what to choose, because I'd like to end up with an honours degree at the end of it. Is it worth doing the foundation with a top-up, or just going straight into it, or does it not matter?

So the main difference between the two is that FdSc is only a three year course whereas the Bsc is a four year course (this is because of the dissertation mainly) apart from that the courses are basically the same and at places were they do both the Bsc and FdSc classes are often taught together.

The other difference is the grades needed to get in. For the Bsc you need to be getting between BBC-CCC (depending on what uni you want to go to) for the FdSc the grades needed are a lot lower.

Doing the FdSc however does not put you being practically as you will still be a fully qualified vet nurse with the RCVS. Even when you do a Bsc you are a fully qualified vet nurse after the third year.

From a personal perspective I went with the Bsc because I knew that I was able to get the grades required and so why not do something that could possibly put me ahead when looking for jobs later (even just having a Bsc in something puts you ahead of most people). Also when asking at some unis topping up from FdSc to the Bsc meant having to do some extra work whilst still doing the FdSc course which could just be added pressure, I thought that it would just be less hassle if I was already on the course that I wanted to from the start rather than having to catch up later.

I hope that this cleared some things up and didn't confuse you more. If you have any more questions please don't be afraid to ask.
Original post by LucyinLaLaLand
So the main difference between the two is that FdSc is only a three year course whereas the Bsc is a four year course (this is because of the dissertation mainly) apart from that the courses are basically the same and at places were they do both the Bsc and FdSc classes are often taught together.

The other difference is the grades needed to get in. For the Bsc you need to be getting between BBC-CCC (depending on what uni you want to go to) for the FdSc the grades needed are a lot lower.

Doing the FdSc however does not put you being practically as you will still be a fully qualified vet nurse with the RCVS. Even when you do a Bsc you are a fully qualified vet nurse after the third year.

From a personal perspective I went with the Bsc because I knew that I was able to get the grades required and so why not do something that could possibly put me ahead when looking for jobs later (even just having a Bsc in something puts you ahead of most people). Also when asking at some unis topping up from FdSc to the Bsc meant having to do some extra work whilst still doing the FdSc course which could just be added pressure, I thought that it would just be less hassle if I was already on the course that I wanted to from the start rather than having to catch up later.

I hope that this cleared some things up and didn't confuse you more. If you have any more questions please don't be afraid to ask.

Hey I just wanted to clear a couple of things up, at some uni such as RVC both the Bsc and the FdSc are both RVNs after third year, however at harper the foundations are qualified at the end of third year but the Bscs have to complete final year in order to gain RVN status. I am currently a third year VN foundation at harper so if you have any questions, i'd be happy to answer them.
Reply 355
Has anyone who firmed RVC vet nursing had any information about booking accommodation?
Reply 356
Original post by emily96_
Has anyone who firmed RVC vet nursing had any information about booking accommodation?

I thought an email about accommodation was meant to be sent out by the end of May? 😰
Reply 357
Original post by EEMGEE
I thought an email about accommodation was meant to be sent out by the end of May? 😰

somebody wrote on the Facebook group that they're waiting to finalize the timetable before they can send out the packs 😊
Anyone else waiting for BTEC results to go through on UCAS????:smile:
I am waiting for my city and guilds diploma! Do you know when they do? Xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending