The Student Room Group

OCR (not MEI) C1 - Wednesday 13th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by czj1997
Okay, can someone just clarify this:

stretch, scale factor 1/3 in the y-direction.

Wrong or right? There are so many different answers, i'm confused

A 1/3 stretch parallel to either the x or y axes is correct. So, yes, that is correct.
What do you think 68/72 is UMS??
Original post by Klaxoii
I did, using pythag, but seems like we're wrong! Although we must have got the right co-ordinates so can't have lost too many marks

Yeah same here! And I thought it'd be strange to have a root as an answer in a C1, so I kept trying to check it but we must've just been barking up the wrong tree. Yeah, that's my logic - we can't have lost more than 2 of the marks because we had the right co-ords (I'm assuming a mark per co-ord?)
Just out of interest on the 1/3 stretch parallel to either axes, would you have to state it could be to either axes, or just state any one?
Original post by K-King121
It's correct, since you are multiplying the entire function by a scale factor of 1/3 it's correct.

That's wrong on so many levels, go back over your gcse work.
Just out of interest on the 1/3 stretch parallel to either axes, would you have to state it could be to either axes, or just state any one?

Just 1
Original post by Numpers123
What do you think 68/72 is UMS??

For this paper I would guess at 90 +/- 2
Original post by Octan
What grade do you guys think I'll be looking at if I lost 9 marks worst case scenario?

Okay, last year I lost 11 marks and got 73 UMS, so I'd say a B is your absolute worst case scenario. I'd be surprised if the grade boundaries were that high again though, so it's probably an A :smile:
Original post by mountaindewwwww
That's wrong on so many levels, go back over your gcse work.

Are you actually stupid?
Original post by Dentist214
Great, lost 5 marks!!!! I got 11, no wonder I couldn't get the stationary point, I've done so bad

All about the method marks dont worry!
just to clarify i had my teacher go over the question about the scale factor, and 1/3 in either direction is correct, just how the graph is
Are you actually stupid?

r u actually stood stoopd
I'm not sure but I think I only got one pair of the simultaneous equations right (but I equally may have gotten it right, I really can't remember) and calculated the discriminant but didn't get the correct value for k. So at worse I probably lost 6 marks, as I got all other answers right, will this be an A and what kind of ums am I looking at?
Original post by MacDaddy101
just to clarify i had my teacher go over the question about the scale factor, and 1/3 in either direction is correct, just how the graph is

Your teacher is quite right!
Original post by mountaindewwwww
r u actually stood stoopd

Lol, for any function: f(x) when stretching of a scale factor k, parallel to the y-axis, it becomes kf(x), i.e. multiplying the whole function!
Original post by Whittick
I'm not sure but I think I only got one pair of the simultaneous equations right (but I equally may have gotten it right, I really can't remember) and calculated the discriminant but didn't get the correct value for k. So at worse I probably lost 6 marks, as I got all other answers right, will this be an A and what kind of ums am I looking at?

At this stage (Assuming you achieved 66/72) You would almost definitely be an A, and towards the high 80s of UMS.
You should have got -3x^2 +20x -28 = 0
This factories to (-3x + 14) and (x - 2).
so x = 14/3 and 2
Y = -13/3 and 1
Original post by scrlk
Worst case scenario, you get a B in C1 (70 UMS).

You need 240 UMS for an A so you need to get 85 UMS in C2 and S1. :smile:

I'm only aiming for a B overall in Maths as I'm planning to drop it. Should lower the stakes for me haha
A boundary guesses?
Reply 419
Original post by Numpers123
A boundary guesses?

I guess 58. You heard it here first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending