The Student Room Group

OCR Classical Civilisation AS - Homer's Odyssey and Society - [19th May 2015]

Hey everyone!

I haven't seen a post here for the Homer's Odyssey and Society unit, so I thought I'd make a thread.

How is everyone feeling about the exam on Tuesday?

Scroll to see replies

I am just reading through my notes on each chapter and watch the Odyssey movie on youtube

Good Luck!
Good idea, I just need to try and memories key events in the Epic, and then I should be good. Good luck!
Reply 3
Eek i have one exam on monday and 3 on tuesday(including homer) so i am so not prepared for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What i am thinking of doing is writing down the chapter and then a cue to help me remember (i also do psychology xD).

For example:
Chapter 5 - Calypso
Also here is the link for the movie

https://youtu.be/pxMplOAEn4U
I've been re-reading and writing a summary, book by book. I find that writing it all down helps me remember the book in a lot of detail. Only problem is I'm up to book 11 so I have a long way to go before Tuesday. I also want to do some practice papers.
Any predictions? Trying to guess what last years paper was :tongue:
I've looked through the past papers from the past 5 years. This is what came up:

2009 a) what Telemachus learns on his travels c) the suitors - do you agree with their punishment?

2010 a) what happened on the island of Aeolia c) how well does Odysseus communicate with his men?

2011 a) Events which occurred after leaving Calypso's island and speaking to Nausicaa c) the involvement of the God's

2012 a) Phaeacian's and the story telling c) Supernatural happenings in the Odyssey

2013 a) events after the Cyclops c) whom do you admire more, Circe or Calypso?

*I've missed out question b because I can't insert a whole passage, haha. :biggrin: But you get the idea.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by meganstudies
I've looked through the past papers from the past 5 years. This is what came up:

2009 a) what Telemachus learns on his travels c) the suitors - do you agree with their punishment?

2010 a) what happened on the island of Aeolia c) how well does Odysseus communicate with his men?

2011 a) Events which occurred after leaving Calypso's island and speaking to Nausicaa c) the involvement of the God's

2012 a) Phaeacian's and the story telling c) Supernatural happenings in the Odyssey

2013 a) events after the Cyclops c) whom do you admire more, Circe or Calypso?

*I've missed out question b because I can't insert a whole passage, haha. :biggrin: But you get the idea.

I would have been soooooooooo happy doing 2010 exam
As long as it's not a question about the events with Circe, then it should be fine :smile:
Knowing my luck, that'll be on the exam haha
I have just used a lot of blood, sweat, tears and copy and paste to reproduce, lo and behold, all past paper passage questions for The Odyssey.

You can thank me later fellow classicslings.

Passage Questions

2013 - Odysseus manipulating Circe by pretending to kill her (Book 10)

What has happened from the point Odysseus left Polyphemus’ cave to the start of this passage?

How does Homer make this passage vivid and exciting?

Whom is more admirable out of Circe and Calypso? Use the passage as a starting point and include discussion of both characters

Theoclymenus’ vision and prophecy about the Suitors’ death (Book 20)

Outline what has happened from when Odysseus fought the beggar Irus until this point.

How does Homer show that the Suitors are going to die?

How and why are the Suitors going to die? Include discussion of the Suitor’s actions and their situation

2012 - Polyphemus telling Odysseus he doesn’t care for Zeus, eating his men (Book 9)

What has Odysseus already told the Phaeacians about his travels before the beginning of this passage?

How does Homer make this passage shocking and horrific?

In what ways do the supernatural happenings Odysseus has encountered during his travels add to the success of The Odyssey? Include discussion of a range of strange events from books 5-12 and what they contribute to the epic.

Penelope going down to meet the Suitors (Book 18)

Outline what the Suitors have done in the Odyssey up until this point

How is Penelope in this passage shown to be a beautiful and desireable woman?

‘A woman not only in conflict with herself but also everybody else around her.’ How far do you agree with this description of Penelope? Include discussion of people she meets, emotions she feels and decisions she makes.

2011 - Odysseus’ supplication to Nausicaa (Book 6)

What has happened to Odysseus since leaving Calypso’s island up until this point?

How does Odysseus try to gain Nausicaa’s pity?

‘Some god has flung me on this shore, no doubt to suffer more disasters here.’ How far do you think the gods and goddesses responsible for troubles Odysseus faces on his travels?

Odysseus stringing and shooting the bow (Book 21)

How was the contest of the bow setup and what had happened in it before the start of this passage?

How does Homer make this passage a vivid piece of narrative?

Why is Telemachus important to the story of the Odyssey? Discuss what he does and how it contributes to the epic.

2010 - Odysseus’ men releasing the winds (Book 10)

What happened on the island of Aeolia before and after this passage?

What are the thoughts and feelings of both Odysseus and his men in this passage? Discuss their words and actions.

How well does Odysseus communicate with his men in the Odyssey? Use this passage and other evidence from the rest of the poem.

Beggar Odysseus describing Odysseus to Penelope (Book 19)

What has Penelope done in the Odyssey up until this point?

How does Homer make this passage vivid?

How and why do Odysseus and Penelope test each other? Discuss the way they test each other and the way Odysseus tests other people in Ithaca.

2009 - The Suitors plot to kill Telemachus (Book 4)

What did Telemachus learn about Odysseus at Menelaus’ palace?

What impression does Homer give of Antinous and the other Suitors in this passage? Include discussion of what they say and the way they are described.

‘The Suitors deserve their punishment.’ How far do you agree? Use this passage and other evidence from the rest of the poem.

Odysseus meets Anticleia (Book 11)

Describe what Odysseus has had to do to speak to the spirits of the dead and summarise what Tiresias has told him about the future

How does this passage arouse sympathy for Odysseus and his mother?

Using this passage as a starting point, discuss how important his family is to Odysseus.

Original post by katinthehat
I have just used a lot of blood, sweat, tears and copy and paste to reproduce, lo and behold, all past paper passage questions for The Odyssey.

You can thank me later fellow classicslings.

Passage Questions

2013 - Odysseus manipulating Circe by pretending to kill her (Book 10)

What has happened from the point Odysseus left Polyphemus’ cave to the start of this passage?

How does Homer make this passage vivid and exciting?

Whom is more admirable out of Circe and Calypso? Use the passage as a starting point and include discussion of both characters

Theoclymenus’ vision and prophecy about the Suitors’ death (Book 20)

Outline what has happened from when Odysseus fought the beggar Irus until this point.

How does Homer show that the Suitors are going to die?

How and why are the Suitors going to die? Include discussion of the Suitor’s actions and their situation

2012 - Polyphemus telling Odysseus he doesn’t care for Zeus, eating his men (Book 9)

What has Odysseus already told the Phaeacians about his travels before the beginning of this passage?

How does Homer make this passage shocking and horrific?

In what ways do the supernatural happenings Odysseus has encountered during his travels add to the success of The Odyssey? Include discussion of a range of strange events from books 5-12 and what they contribute to the epic.

Penelope going down to meet the Suitors (Book 18)

Outline what the Suitors have done in the Odyssey up until this point

How is Penelope in this passage shown to be a beautiful and desireable woman?

‘A woman not only in conflict with herself but also everybody else around her.’ How far do you agree with this description of Penelope? Include discussion of people she meets, emotions she feels and decisions she makes.

2011 - Odysseus’ supplication to Nausicaa (Book 6)

What has happened to Odysseus since leaving Calypso’s island up until this point?

How does Odysseus try to gain Nausicaa’s pity?

‘Some god has flung me on this shore, no doubt to suffer more disasters here.’ How far do you think the gods and goddesses responsible for troubles Odysseus faces on his travels?

Odysseus stringing and shooting the bow (Book 21)

How was the contest of the bow setup and what had happened in it before the start of this passage?

How does Homer make this passage a vivid piece of narrative?

Why is Telemachus important to the story of the Odyssey? Discuss what he does and how it contributes to the epic.

2010 - Odysseus’ men releasing the winds (Book 10)

What happened on the island of Aeolia before and after this passage?

What are the thoughts and feelings of both Odysseus and his men in this passage? Discuss their words and actions.

How well does Odysseus communicate with his men in the Odyssey? Use this passage and other evidence from the rest of the poem.

Beggar Odysseus describing Odysseus to Penelope (Book 19)

What has Penelope done in the Odyssey up until this point?

How does Homer make this passage vivid?

How and why do Odysseus and Penelope test each other? Discuss the way they test each other and the way Odysseus tests other people in Ithaca.

2009 - The Suitors plot to kill Telemachus (Book 4)

What did Telemachus learn about Odysseus at Menelaus’ palace?

What impression does Homer give of Antinous and the other Suitors in this passage? Include discussion of what they say and the way they are described.

‘The Suitors deserve their punishment.’ How far do you agree? Use this passage and other evidence from the rest of the poem.

Odysseus meets Anticleia (Book 11)

Describe what Odysseus has had to do to speak to the spirits of the dead and summarise what Tiresias has told him about the future

How does this passage arouse sympathy for Odysseus and his mother?

Using this passage as a starting point, discuss how important his family is to Odysseus.

Thankyou for this! So at this point, anything could come up in the exam really! :colonhash:
Thankyou for this! So at this point, anything could come up in the exam really! :colonhash:
I think it might be an extract near the end of the Odyssey, around book 20, which sucks because I've spent loads of time on books 1-12 and now have to do a different, less thorough method for the rest because I don't have time.
My guestimate for 2014 (judging by EP):
Passage 1) - Odysseus arriving back in Ithaca
Passage 2) - The Great Bow contest before Odysseus wins
Essay 3) - Was it the situations the men encountered or the men themselves that caused their downfall (a really nice question darn)
Essay 4) - Importance of the gods in the story (ditto)
Essay 5) - The servants and Homeric society

No problem! And pretty much - though the exact same incident has not come up twice! I'm thinking we could get Phaecian games/Cicones/Laestrygonians?

Original post by ChortleDawkins
I think it might be an extract near the end of the Odyssey, around book 20, which sucks because I've spent loads of time on books 1-12 and now have to do a different, less thorough method for the rest because I don't have time.

I know it's not 100% of the time, but to me it looks as though the first passage question is from the earlier part of the Odyssey and the second from the later half - so you should be ok if you've done 1-12 in explicit detail! I'd still do the rest though of course for part c) and the essay :smile:
Original post by katinthehat
My guestimate for 2014 (judging by EP):
Passage 1) - Odysseus arriving back in Ithaca
Passage 2) - The Great Bow contest before Odysseus wins
Essay 3) - Was it the situations the men encountered or the men themselves that caused their downfall (a really nice question darn)
Essay 4) - Importance of the gods in the story (ditto)
Essay 5) - The servants and Homeric society

No problem! And pretty much - though the exact same incident has not come up twice! I'm thinking we could get Phaecian games/Cicones/Laestrygonians?

I know it's not 100% of the time, but to me it looks as though the first passage question is from the earlier part of the Odyssey and the second from the later half - so you should be ok if you've done 1-12 in explicit detail! I'd still do the rest though of course for part c) and the essay :smile:
wait... we get a choice of two questions for A,B and C? I thought we only get a choice for the essay question :biggrin:
Reply 16
We got told that it could be likely book 12 for the extract??? That's complete speculation though
Original post by ChortleDawkins
wait... we get a choice of two questions for A,B and C? I thought we only get a choice for the essay question :biggrin:

Yeah! In the exam you get 2 passages and you choose 1 to answer the set of questions on :smile:
Reply 18
Did everyone here do the Roman sources paper?
Reply 19
Just a thought but Homeric women and women in society hasn't come up for a while, when I was stalking the ocr Twitter they also had this on there from last month - would they give this much of a hint though? I don't know, but just a thought! 😊
image.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending