The Student Room Group

A-level Classical Civilisation Study Group 2022-2023

Welcome to the A-level Classic Civilisation Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for! :smile:

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications:

OCR Classical Civilisation H408

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:

Scroll to see replies

Keeping this space for a list of resources or study tools that are recommended in this thread:

KCL A-level Classical Civilisation Resources

Classics For All
(edited 1 year ago)
@venusbby FYI Here you go :smile:
Original post by Evil Homer
@venusbby FYI Here you go :smile:

Thank you!
Daughter is doing Class Civ at sixth form college.

KCL has some good resources on their website for A-level Classical Civilisation:

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/classics/our-connections/a-level-classical-civilisation?fbclid=IwAR2pi8Ryop_OflQp5EFxhkllTkv9Bxo5WKwkkdysNKCNMc_TDYCkyqpVaWI
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

KCL has some good resources on their website for A-level Classical Civilisation:

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/classics/our-connections/a-level-classical-civilisation?fbclid=IwAR2pi8Ryop_OflQp5EFxhkllTkv9Bxo5WKwkkdysNKCNMc_TDYCkyqpVaWI

This looks so useful! Thank you for sharing :smile:
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

Thank you! This will definitely help
How do people go about revising the iliad and Aeneid :confused:
Like I’m fine with imperial image and Athenian democracy but don’t have a clue where to start with WOTH. We’ve only had two essays marked for woth and I’m in yr13 we also have been given very little support so I was wondering where do you even start trying to memorise and choose key quotes etc, i can’t seem to find any documents online that have lists of key quotes to try and make it easier
:smile:
Original post by tinkereleanor
Like I’m fine with imperial image and Athenian democracy but don’t have a clue where to start with WOTH. We’ve only had two essays marked for woth and I’m in yr13 we also have been given very little support so I was wondering where do you even start trying to memorise and choose key quotes etc, i can’t seem to find any documents online that have lists of key quotes to try and make it easier

Hya,
I’m currently in year 12 so idk how much help this will really be, however as far as I can tell most of the quotes needed for WOTH are mostly up to personal preference. Our teacher keep’s emphasising that depth of knowledge can be exhibited as much by obscure and particularly detailed references to the plot (eg. names) as quotes. Of course, it’s not advisable to avoid using them altogether, especially if quotations can aid in explaining a point. I’d advise looking at the recommended themes and go through each book and find a few key quotes for each one. This advice might change depending which exam board you do.
We are studying the Odyssey and Aeneid for which the exam bord has given a guid for the main books we are assessed on, maybe you should look and see if yours does as well.
If anyone else has a quick answer for this I would also like to know as this method can be tedious if the theme is particularly abstract.

I don’t really know if this would help your problem as I have only just started A-levels, but this is the course of action advertised to me thus far.
I wish you luck for the coming year. 😄
Reply 9

Hi, I'm in yr13 doing the Iliad and Aeneid as well. You don't actually need to memorise exact quotes word for word, but rather key details/events. For example, "In Bk.1, Achilles lets his pride dictate his actions and when succumbing to his anger, abstains from the war due to Agamemnon’s seizure of his war prize Briseis." This is a perfectly reasonable reference to the text in this scenario as its the actions that matter not the exact wording, although more detail may be required for other points. Sometimes a more paraphrased quote is useful, like if you're talking about what Hector says to his son in Book 6.

To revise, I'd try to reread the books or at the very least read plot summaries of each book of the Iliad and Aeneid. A good idea is to get a piece of paper, and write 4 or 5 references for each theme you can think of, and do the same for characters too.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey there! Is anyone studying Imperial Image? If so, does anyone have any tips on how to remember the prescribes sources? Thanks!
Hey everyone!
I am in First year at Manchester doing Ancient History but I did Classical Civilisation last year! I did WOTH (Aeneid and Iliad although I have just done Odyssey at University) Greek Art and Greek Religion and got an A*.
Happy to answer any questions :smile:
Reply 13
Hi! I'm in year 13 and did imperial image in year 12, for me I find the best way to remember the prescribed sources is by making quizlet sets and just keep going over them, I am more than happy to send you my quizlet sets for all of imperial image, including the prescribed sources if that would be any help :smile:
Original post by lowlightlat
Hey there! Is anyone studying Imperial Image? If so, does anyone have any tips on how to remember the prescribes sources? Thanks!

I’m doing imperial image - i basically summarise each of the literary sources onto one flash card for example:
(Section 70) Life of Augustus ‘Feast of the Twelve Gods’
As a young man, Octavian had held a feast for his friends where each guest took the role of a major Roman deity
It was the subject of ‘scandalous gossip’ because of the adulterous behaviour of the guests and because it took place in the midst of a city-wide famine

Then for the picture sources for example the portrait of livia i just remember the date, the material, and the significance for example the portrait of livia as a traditional Matrona, implying traditional values.

hope this helps :smile:
Anyone on here doing Athenian democracy - yet to fins anyone else that does it 😂
I’m doing imperial image - i basically summarise each of the literary sources onto one flash card for example:
(Section 70) Life of Augustus ‘Feast of the Twelve Gods’
As a young man, Octavian had held a feast for his friends where each guest took the role of a major Roman deity
It was the subject of ‘scandalous gossip’ because of the adulterous behaviour of the guests and because it took place in the midst of a city-wide famine

Then for the picture sources for example the portrait of livia i just remember the date, the material, and the significance for example the portrait of livia as a traditional Matrona, implying traditional values.

hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much, this helps a lot! :smile:
Im currently studying Greek theatre, woth and Greek religion. I am really finding greek theatre tough, for example, the context behind Frogs and Bacchae and remembering things like the parabasis. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated, especially with A-levels around the corner :frown:!!
Reply 18
Original post by WillowRose33!
Hey everyone!
I am in First year at Manchester doing Ancient History but I did Classical Civilisation last year! I did WOTH (Aeneid and Iliad although I have just done Odyssey at University) Greek Art and Greek Religion and got an A*.
Happy to answer any questions :smile:

Hi, I'm doing Odyssey and Aeneid for WOTH and Greek Art and I was wondering if you had any tips for answering WOTH exam questions especially 10 markers, for some reason I struggle with them. Also any revision tips for Greek Art, I have flashcards with key info but I feel like that's not enough
hi!! i don't do greek art but i do both the odyssey and the aeneid for WOTH. i think specifically for 10 mark questions my teacher has put a lot of emphasis on being able to pick out literary techniques at least once or twice in your answer as it's something examiners like to see, so spend some time getting some techniques under your belt. don't spend too long developing a point, you should have a good range of things to say that is not just you repeating the same analysis. if you feel you are picking out different examples that build towards the same point, combine them so they underscore your argument instead of repeating your point twice. you don't want to spend a long time on ten markers (my teacher advices 15 mins MAX on each question but ideally on the lower end of 10-15 mins). you want to spend a little bit of time planning ur answer/annotating extracts so you can come up with points, and i would advise doing all the 10 markers at the beginning of the paper since the comparison 10 marker will use one of the same extracts. i annotate along going down the side, then write about the examples i picked out (highlight or underline phrases as you read the extracts so you remember what you want to say). read the comparison 10 mark question first, so while you annotate both poems you can keep both questions in mind and don't have to annotate twice - use one side of the page for the first question, the other for the comparison so you don't get confused, and that should help you get your ideas before you write. you don't need to write your answers like an essay, just pick an example and explain clearly how it shows what the question is asking.

as for the other questions, it is not necessary to memorise quotes, but you do need to show detailed knowledge of the events of of the poems. you should be able to link multiple examples together to build a more sophisticated argument. scholarship is not needed for the 20 marker, but it can help your argument. with scholarship for the 30 markers, it should be used only to aid you argument, it should not be the bulk of it, the examiners want your ideas. you should ideally aim for 2 bits of named scholarship in your answer. the idea with the questions is to build up towards the 30 markers, so doing the 10 and 20 markers first should prepare you a bit. please don't spend too long on the 10 and 20 markers at the expense of 30 marker, you don't want to loose marks where you can help it. take the time to read the questions carefully and fully understand what they are asking you.
Hi, I'm doing Odyssey and Aeneid for WOTH and Greek Art and I was wondering if you had any tips for answering WOTH exam questions especially 10 markers, for some reason I struggle with them. Also any revision tips for Greek Art, I have flashcards with key info but I feel like that's not enough
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending