The Student Room Group

OCR (not MEI) C2 - Wednesday 20th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ella_chloe
i needed help with a q but got it now

Hi which year and question was that? I'd like to have a go :smile: thanks
Reply 21
Any predictions on anything different we will get this year?
Hi. I just wanted to ask a question re trig identities question:

The question is attached

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 17.47.55.png

So I began my saying tanx (sinx - cosx) = 6cosx

After that, I got stuck.

So I checked out the mark scheme, which says the next step is

tanx (sinx/cosx - 1) = 6

Obviously, from there I know how to go on and find the solution, with sinx/cosx = tanx etc. etc.
But what I don't get is how is that possible? How can you just divide by cosx without dividing the tanx outside the bracket by cosx?? I'm sure the explanation is pretty simple but at the moment I still can't get it :frown:
Reply 23
Original post by gabby07
Hi. I just wanted to ask a question re trig identities question:

The question is attached

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 17.47.55.png

So I began my saying tanx (sinx - cosx) = 6cosx

After that, I got stuck.

So I checked out the mark scheme, which says the next step is

tanx (sinx/cosx - 1) = 6

Obviously, from there I know how to go on and find the solution, with sinx/cosx = tanx etc. etc.
But what I don't get is how is that possible? How can you just divide by cosx without dividing the tanx outside the bracket by cosx?? I'm sure the explanation is pretty simple but at the moment I still can't get it :frown:

Because you multiply to get tanx off the bottom you get tanx X (sinx - cosx) they are two distinct terms so the outside tanx doesn't have to be divided by cosx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by loooolo12345
whats the hardest c2 paper anyone has tried? I had a go at jan 2013 which was really difficult :s-smilie:

Try Jan 05. I think in some respects its helpful to go quite far back as the mark schemes tend to show more working, maybe as the calculators were less decent back then?
Reply 25
whats the hardest c2 paper anyone has tried? I had a go at jan 2013 which was really difficult :s-smilie:

I have generally found the early papers easier than the more recent papers in all my subjects, I just try to do all the past papers if you can so that there are few types of questions you haven't come across but if you are pressed for time I would focus more heavily on the latest papers as they tend to be a more accurate representation of what we will most likely get
Reply 26
Does anyone have a copy of last year's c2 paper they could send to me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1181

Posted from TSR Mobile

I could take a picture of my copy? I dont have an online one aha
Original post by gabby07
Hi which year and question was that? I'd like to have a go :smile: thanks

It wasnt a different from normal question i was just confused about sin of a number larger than zero then forgot to do cast diagram or sub it into the sine graph, i cant remeber the paper now sorry :s-smilie:
Original post by hallo.C
Any predictions on anything different we will get this year?

Ive only seen it in the 05 and 06 papers but maybe drawing a sketch cos sine and tan graphs, they havent come up since then i dont think so maybe
Is it possible to relearn trig equations + identities and logs in 3 days to a sufficient level of understanding? :s-smilie:
They are my stumbling block.
I've relearned integration, sequences, binomial expansion, factor and remainder theorem, exponentials and the sine and cosine rule in 4 days.
Reply 31
Original post by Peppercrunch
Is it possible to relearn trig equations + identities and logs in 3 days to a sufficient level of understanding? :s-smilie:
They are my stumbling block.
I've relearned integration, sequences, binomial expansion, factor and remainder theorem, exponentials and the sine and cosine rule in 4 days.

100% possible, all you really need to know for C2 trig identities is that tanx = sinx/cosx and cos^2x + sin^2x = 1. Learn the graphs too (in degrees and radians) as they come up when solving trig equations, or we use CAST but I don't know if others are taught this way. Also learn the log rules well since every single log question will come down to these and that's basically it :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Peppercrunch
Is it possible to relearn trig equations + identities and logs in 3 days to a sufficient level of understanding? :s-smilie:They are my stumbling block. I've relearned integration, sequences, binomial expansion, factor and remainder theorem, exponentials and the sine and cosine rule in 4 days.

agree with what chloe jessica said :smile: to add to it i suggest practicing a lot of log questions, you need to be able to manipulate them a lot and if you forget one of the log rules you could get very stuck as i have on a past paper before :/
also yeah with trig identities they aren't to difficult to remember, but practice them too as it will likely come up as proving it then solving it :smile:
Reply 33
Couldn't find a forum on this so I created one. How does everyone feel (those that are sitting it) for the C2 exam coming up in a few days. How well are people prepared, are there any really difficult past C2 questions you've come across and what are your predictions in terms of difficulty for the paper.

- Shakzey
Original post by 1181

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep, i have the mark scheme too
Is there any place which give the grade boundaries of papers?
Reply 36
Original post by jackpethick
Is there any place which give the grade boundaries of papers?

OCR website normally, I just google the year of the paper and OCR A-Level boundaries
Reply 37
yep, i have the mark scheme too

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Could some one please help me with this question (Jun 2014).

I can get part i and ii correct but I can't do part iii. I'm having trouble trying to get the function in to the correct form (stated in the mark scheme).

Reply 39
Original post by scrlk
Could some one please help me with this question (Jun 2014).

I can get part i and ii correct but I can't do part iii. I'm having trouble trying to get the function in to the correct form (stated in the mark scheme).

y = -3 + 2root(x+4)
(y + 3)/2 = root (x+4)
x+4 = (y+3)(y+3)/4
x+4 = (y^2 + 6y + 9) / 4
x = 1/4(y^2 + 6y + 9) - 4
x = 1/4(y^2 + 6y - 7)

Then integrate as dx/dy with the limits of y=3 and y=1 and you should get the answer they want. Hope you can follow that okay :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending