The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, not a fan of living at home. Hopefully I'll be out in a few months.

Also noticed a rise in the number of "Would you be happy earning £?k per year as your final salary?". Lot of kids on this site have a warped sense of reality.
@swirly

Banger man.
Original post by TornadoGR4

Also noticed a rise in the number of "Would you be happy earning £?k per year as your final salary?". Lot of kids on this site have a warped sense of reality.

Depends how they say it. There's a fine line between ambition and delusion I guess though. Wouldn't take below £70k fwiw, because it means I would have failed at my career.
@jam277 yeah i know it

also @Pimped Butterfly
Original post by Depleted
Depends how they say it. There's a fine line between ambition and delusion I guess though. Wouldn't take below £70k fwiw, because it means I would have failed at my career.

Same tbh. Really my family all will be on minimum 50k salaries by the time they retire. If I end up on 30k I'll be a failure in all honesty. Don't think there's any excuse to be on that salary by the time you're 65.
Original post by fallen_acorns
fair enough - always wanted to do a masters myself, but It does not really fit into any of my life plans at the moment, so its been benched until sometime in the future.

Living back at home for a year would kill me though - just done a month and half back at home, which is the most since leaving for uni 6 years back, and that was plenty! let alone a year

it's only 1 year (maybe 2), and if you have the cash at some point, why not?

yeah, i really don't know how i'm gonna cope.
the only thing i can do is make sure i'm out of the house a LOT.

Original post by TornadoGR4

yeah it's gonna suck - i just turned 21 but i know my parents are still gonna try to treat me as a child.
this is only 1 year to get money; there's no way i'm staying any longer.

if my family was richer, i'd borrow money off them now so i could do my masters, but unfortunately i don't come from a very well off background :tongue:

Original post by jam277
Same tbh. Really my family all will be on minimum 50k salaries by the time they retire. If I end up on 30k I'll be a failure in all honesty. Don't think there's any excuse to be on that salary by the time you're 65.

see the difference for me is that i haven't known anybody in my family to ever earn more than 40k.
i'm the first to go to university so who knows how it'll turn out...

Doctor?
Original post by Lúcio
it's only 1 year (maybe 2), and if you have the cash at some point, why not?

yeah, i really don't know how i'm gonna cope.
the only thing i can do is make sure i'm out of the house a LOT.

really depends on the dynamic of your home/parents I guess.

+ mm, but with wanting a house soon, then kids after that, etc. it all needs regular money, and chances are I wont be in a possition to do a masters or further study until I am a lot older.. or willing to do it part time alongside my main job.
how do I use this @ feature thing?
how do I use this @ feature thing?

If you're on desktop version just type in @, then the username
If you're on desktop version just type in @, then the username

@Depleted

Does not seem to work?
@fallen_acorns it didn't work, but that might be cos you quoted
@Depleted

hmm, just typing it straight, using chrome on a PC?
Das it

Next gen will need more Asianess though

Are you volunteering
@depleted

hmm, just typing it straight, using chrome on a PC?

Think you have to type it then select it from the dropdown box
Original post by difeo

thats what someone else said, but I dont get a drop-down box, I can type the name as slow as I like, a box never comes..

Ah well, does not matter really
Original post by Lúcio
i
see the difference for me is that i haven't known anybody in my family to ever earn more than 40k.
i'm the first to go to university so who knows how it'll turn out...

You will most likely have a 2:1 from a russell group university. You should be fine.

If you want to be a teacher your starting will be in the low-mid 20k region and you'll probably be promoted to head of department somewhere where you'll be on around 30-50k.

If you're the headteacher then you'll be on a pretty good salary, think the headteacher in my secondary school was just short of 100k.
Original post by difeo
Are you volunteering

No because their kids will be at least 20 years younger than me, I'm not like u m8
Original post by difeo

Probably that too
Original post by jam277
You will most likely have a 2:1 from a russell group university. You should be fine.

If you want to be a teacher your starting will be in the low-mid 20k region and you'll probably be promoted to head of department somewhere where you'll be on around 30-50k.

If you're the headteacher then you'll be on a pretty good salary, think the headteacher in my secondary school was just short of 100k.

Depends on school, my headteacher was on £140k ish and thats outside of London cos the school was ****. Even deputy is on £60-70k.

Also lold at subtle shots
Original post by jam277

yeah i'll get a 2.1, but i'm not aiming to be a teacher.

looking to do a masters at Leeds University in Organizational Psychology; it's technically a Business degree.
but yeah, if i ever did end up teacher, i'd certainly be aiming for at least head of department.

the ideal scenario is that i end up actually being happy getting up in the morning and going to work, but something that also pays decent.
it's nice to enjoy your job, but everybody needs to have a good amount of money to use in their spare time.

Latest