Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have a pdf revision guide? If yes, could you please share? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Does anyone have a pdf revision guide? If yes, could you please share? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

pdf rev guide for??
Original post by Pilz
I got a question, why does the alkylation of benzene (Friedel-Crafts) need to take place in dry ether? Does water react with RCl? Does it react with the catalyst, AlCl3?

the AlCl3 is sensitive to hydrolysis so needs to be dry
Original post by Ripper Phoenix
pdf rev guide for??

Chemistry, units 4 and/or 5 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Chemistry, units 4 and/or 5 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh the official edexcel ones? I'm just saying that they aren't super useful.. i have them in hard copy
Original post by Ripper Phoenix
oh the official edexcel ones? I'm just saying that they aren't super useful.. i have them in hard copy

Any would be awesome - I feel I won't have time to read a whole textbook (I stupidly left chemistry for the very last minute) so a revision guide would be great. I used the edexcel one last year for AS and it worked out well, but I can't find one for A2 through Google.
The Philip Allan ones do seem better for the other subjects, so I guess it's the same case for chemistry but I can't find those either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 526
could someone explain this for me please?
The answer:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pilz
could someone explain this for me please?
The answer:

Spoiler

In the first step, hydroxide reacts in a substitution to form the alcohol, but also with the acid group to form a sodium salt. Adding a strong acid reforms the carboxylic acid group. It's the same thing as when you add a strong acid after base hydrolysis of an ester :smile:
Reply 528
Original post by cerlohee
In the first step, hydroxide reacts in a substitution to form the alcohol, but also with the acid group to form a sodium salt. Adding a strong acid reforms the carboxylic acid group. It's the same thing as when you add a strong acid after base hydrolysis of an ester :smile:

ooooooooh I geddit
can someone tell me how the Answer is B please? Feel pretty stupid and panicking atm because I don't know how its B i thought it was A (June 2010 question 11 6CH04/01)

Which of the following has two singlet peaks in its nmr spectrum?
A. Methanal HCOH
B. Methanol CH3OH
C. Chloromethane CH3Cl
D. Dichloromethane CH2Cl2
Has anyone been on the chemrevise Wordpress website? Their revision summaries are second to none, as well as their synthesis routes and transition metal summaries.

http://chemrevise.org/3-edexcel-revision-guides/

Someone asked for a PDF revision guide, these are better! Honestly I just discovered it last week and they're amazing
Original post by bluegreenjade
can someone tell me how the Answer is B please? Feel pretty stupid and panicking atm because I don't know how its B i thought it was A (June 2010 question 11 6CH04/01)

A. Methanal HCOH
B. Methanol CH3OH
C. Chloromethane CH3Cl

Methanol is an alcohol, so it's got 2 different hydrogen environments which will both split into 2 singlets. As one H is joint to the O and the other 3 are on the carbon. Both are not bonded to adjacent carbons with hydrogens on. So it has to be B

It can't be A as both the hydrogens are in the same environment, producing just one singlet peak! Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bluegreenjade

A. Methanal HCOH
B. Methanol CH3OH
C. Chloromethane CH3Cl

the ans is B
the first environment is H on the Ch3 and ite singlet and the second environment is the H in tge OH also singlet
it cannot be A because methanal will only have one peak since it is symmetric
Original post by MoHoosen9167
Has anyone been on the chemrevise Wordpress website? Their revision summaries are second to none, as well as their synthesis routes and transition metal summaries.

http://chemrevise.org/3-edexcel-revision-guides/

Someone asked for a PDF revision guide, these are better! Honestly I just discovered it last week and they're amazing

Yeah I used those throughout the year thinking they were perfect, but I found out in the mocks that they lack essential detail on some topics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 535
Getting very confused with the chemrevise notes on entropy. Am I correct in saying that a decrease in entropy will cause an deltaS system to be positive because energy is being transferred from the surroundings to the system (therefore less ways of arranging energy quanta and decreased entropy)?? In the chemrevise notes it says 'if the reaction involves a decrease in entropy (deltaS system is negative)'. Are these notes incorrect or is it just me being stupid :confused:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SM2468
Getting very confused with the chemrevise notes on entropy. Am I correct in saying that a decrease in entropy will cause an deltaS system to be positive because energy is being transferred from the surroundings to the system (therefore less ways of arranging energy quanta and decreased entropy)?? In the chemrevise notes it says 'if the reaction involves a decrease in entropy (deltaS system is negative)'. Are these notes incorrect or is it just me being stupid :confused:

increase in entropy - more disorder therefore delta S system is +ve
Decrease in entropy - less disorder, therefore delta S system is -ve
Entropy is the measure of disorder in a system
Reply 537
Original post by rasil23
increase in entropy - more disorder therefore delta S system is +ve
Decrease in entropy - less disorder, therefore delta S system is -ve
Entropy is the measure of disorder in a system

Yup just be being stupid then hahah. Thank you!!
Is anyone able to explain this please?iv

Attachment not found

[ATTACH]422201[/ATTACH

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="AnishaJayne;56736451"]Is anyone able to explain this please?iv

Attachment not found

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433768037.204024.jpg

Because the stoichiometry of NaOH to the acid and the sodium salt is the same. So depending on the no. of moles of NaOH used in the question find the how much volume would give you the conc. of salt (0.075 moles per diameter cube) and find the volume (of NaOH) in the x axis of the graph and find the corresponding y value (pH).I could be wrong though :/
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending