The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry 6ch04/05 JUNE 2015

Scroll to see replies

Do we need to know recrystallisation for unit 4, or just unit 5???
Original post by MeeraP07
Hey guys...
For Kc, if you have eqm moles of the reactants and products you divide them by the volume and then put those values in the Kc expression, right?
But if you have eqm concentrations, do you still need to divide by the volume?

Always divide by V (volume), even if the units for concentration cancel out because you're calculating Kc, where the c is concentration.
Original post by Nautic4l
No H2O is sometimes not used when it's a 'solven't but I don't get when it acts as a solvent and when as a reactant.. ANYONE?

Also does anyone PLEASE have diagrams(labelled) of distillation and reflux apparatus?

If your reactants and products have an "aq" state symbol (apart from water, obv) then you exclude water from the Kc calculation. If water is being formed, say for instance in esterification (assuming you're using dry reagents), then you include water in the Kc calculation. Hope that's helped!

Reflux: http://what-when-how.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/tmp1703_thumb1.png

and Distilling: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/Fractional_distillation_lab_apparatus.svg/2000px-Fractional_distillation_lab_apparatus.svg.png
Original post by Nautic4l
No H2O is sometimes not used when it's a 'solven't but I don't get when it acts as a solvent and when as a reactant.. ANYONE?

Also does anyone PLEASE have diagrams(labelled) of distillation and reflux apparatus?

I'd draw an electric heater rather than a bunsen burner for each of them, don't think it matters though. Also, determining when H2O is the solvent, I'm not exactly sure :s-smilie:
Original post by Wahid1
Jan 2015 q24aiii anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

moles of NaOH- 1x45/1000=0.045
moles of HCl- 5x1/1000=0.005
moles of ethanoic acid at eqm- 0.045-0.005=0.04

change in moles- 0.120-0.04=0.08
eqm moles of alcohol- 0.220-0.08=0.14
eqm moles of ester- 0+0.08=0.08
eqm moles of water- 0.278+0.08=0.358

plug these values in Kc expression to get 5.11
Original post by MoHoosen9167
Always divide by V (volume), even if the units for concentration cancel out because you're calculating Kc, where the c is concentration.

so just to clarify... whether its moles or concentration just always divide the values by volume
Best of luck all!
so just to clarify... whether its moles or concentration just always divide the values by volume

Sorry, I misread the question! No, if you've got concentration then you don't need to divide because you're already inputting concentrations into the equation for Kc. So sorry!
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433928782.683383.jpg

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MoHoosen9167
Sorry, I misread the question! No, if you've got concentration then you don't need to divide because you're already inputting concentrations into the equation for Kc. So sorry!

No problem! thanks so much
i posted it above
Original post by Wahid1
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433928782.683383.jpg

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem! thanks so much

Wait do we have to divide by the volume or not?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433929320.047521.jpg

For anyone who needs Log laws! :smile: hope it helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frozo123
Wait do we have to divide by the volume or not?

only if youve got the eqm moles you divide by vol. if you have the eqm conc you dont need to
Can somebody please explain this question
4.70=4.80+log(CH3COO-)
-0.1=log(CH3COO-)
e^-0.1=(CH3COO-)
0.9048={CH3COO-}
then I found the moles and mass, but the mark scheme says {CH3COO-}=0.794
Please can somebody correct me
Untitled.jpg
only if youve got the eqm moles you divide by vol. if you have the eqm conc you dont need to

yeah ofc, but was wondering because surely you'll get the same answer doing it with moles but probably lose marks for not showing you know what's going on?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433929648.981287.jpg

Here are some calculations! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by veniceswan
4.70=4.80+log(CH3COO-)
-0.1=log(CH3COO-)
e^-0.1=(CH3COO-)
0.9048={CH3COO-}
Untitled.jpg

It should be 10^-0.1, not e^-0.1, since you're using logs
Original post by veniceswan
4.70=4.80+log(CH3COO-)
-0.1=log(CH3COO-)
e^-0.1=(CH3COO-)
0.9048={CH3COO-}
Untitled.jpg

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433929830.491966.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frozo123
yeah ofc, but was wondering because surely you'll get the same answer doing it with moles but probably lose marks for not showing you know what's going on?

You'd lose marks for not showing that you're inputting a concentration, even if it is say for instance 075/v in your Kc expression. Also, the units may cancel out, but they may not in which case you need to show you're inputting concentration units (moldm-3)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending