The Student Room Group

Latin A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Stefan*
Yeap - prose today.

How did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you don't know how happy this makes me.......
I'm not alone :redface:

ummmmmm I thought the literature questions were pretty standard ( I did Herodotus).. think I waffled a bit towards the end though because I was just getting tired!!

Not really sure about the unseen- what was your answer for the two mark grammar question newteriswsi?? it seemed like the text was altered. Also for epekalesantw I wasn't sure whether to put active or middle form?

How did you find it?

And what about the verse last week? :smile:
Original post by platypus1997
you don't know how happy this makes me.......
I'm not alone :redface:

ummmmmm I thought the literature questions were pretty standard ( I did Herodotus).. think I waffled a bit towards the end though because I was just getting tired!!

Not really sure about the unseen- what was your answer for the two mark grammar question newteriswsi?? it seemed like the text was altered. Also for epekalesantw I wasn't sure whether to put active or middle form?

How did you find it?

And what about the verse last week? :smile:

I did Plato myself, and I agree that the questions were pretty standard. I wrote quite a lot, but always had some problems with the time (thankfully I finished in time!).

For newteriswsi, I answered that it was a subjunctive in a conditional clause (apodosis), and then translated the sentence. I waffled quite a lot here due to it being worth two marks, so can't really say what's going on.

Epekalesanto is third person plural of middle aorist, so the verb had to be in the middle (epikaloumai or epikaleomai).

What did you think of the unseen itself?

EDIT: Sorry only just saw your edit. I do the Latin and Greek Prose papers alone as I'm taking the Classics A-Level. Sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Okay that is reassuring as I put exactly the same for both of those questions!
I didn't put the contracted epikaloumai but i'm hoping that doesn't matter.
I assume you put kaqisthmi and ... I can't remember the other question!
and genitive absolute for the one marker.

I thought the unseen was ok but there were some bit's like 'epi tous mhdous' which I didn't get, and also the random 'auths' on the end of 'epibhsontai' and I wasn't sure what 'auths' was referring to.

ah okay! I didn't know you could do that!
Okay that is reassuring as I put exactly the same for both of those questions!
I didn't put the contracted epikaloumai but i'm hoping that doesn't matter.
I assume you put kaqisthmi and ... I can't remember the other question!
and genitive absolute for the one marker.

I thought the unseen was ok but there were some bit's like 'epi tous mhdous' which I didn't get, and also the random 'auths' on the end of 'epibhsontai' and I wasn't sure what 'auths' was referring to.

ah okay! I didn't know you could do that!

Yep, kathistimi and genitive absolute it was!

I don't remember epi tous mhdous like at all now. About auths, I believe it was a genitive of location, and thus "there"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep, kathistimi and genitive absolute it was!

I don't remember epi tous mhdous like at all now. About auths, I believe it was a genitive of location, and thus "there"

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah- for the verbs did you put imperfect for hlisketw and present for prosdeontai?

I just put 'that place' for auths so hopefully the same thing!?
epi tous mhdous was about the alliances at the end???
yeah- for the verbs did you put imperfect for hlisketw and present for prosdeontai?

I just put 'that place' for auths so hopefully the same thing!?
epi tous mhdous was about the alliances at the end???

Yep (I also analysed them for some reason, but it wasn't necessary).

Probably the same, yes.

I honestly don't remember this construction. I do remember something about the Medes, but can't remember where it was (something about the walls perhaps??).

What do you think about the boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep (I also analysed them for some reason, but it wasn't necessary).

Probably the same, yes.

I honestly don't remember this construction. I do remember something about the Medes, but can't remember where it was (something about the walls perhaps??).

What do you think about the boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i was going to put like 'third person singular etc..' but it just said 'state tense'... i thought they were strange questions! Also there were no marks for analysing Thucydides' style, they were all taken up by grammar!
ahh don't worry about it, it was towards the very end.

I honestly have no idea about the boundaries- what are they usually?
i was going to put like 'third person singular etc..' but it just said 'state tense'... i thought they were strange questions! Also there were no marks for analysing Thucydides' style, they were all taken up by grammar!
ahh don't worry about it, it was towards the very end.

I honestly have no idea about the boundaries- what are they usually?

I actually did analyse his style at the five marker. I had the time so I thought it was worth adding this.

They are very random actually. Sometimes it's 81-83 for an A*, sometimes (like last year) it's 85-87 for an A*. Let's hope it's on the lower spectrum :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually did analyse his style at the five marker. I had the time so I thought it was worth adding this.

They are very random actually. Sometimes it's 81-83 for an A*, sometimes (like last year) it's 85-87 for an A*. Let's hope it's on the lower spectrum :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh dear.. did it say to comment on style?

is that raw mark?
oh dear.. did it say to comment on style?

is that raw mark?

No - don't worry! The question just said how the Spartans reacted to the Athenians (or something like that). I just wrote my answer and since I had some time I talked about the emphatic positions of deisantes and the nouns and etc. I don't think it was needed though.

Yeah, raw marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No - don't worry! The question just said how the Spartans reacted to the Athenians (or something like that). I just wrote my answer and since I had some time I talked about the emphatic positions of deisantes and the nouns and etc. I don't think it was needed though.

Yeah, raw marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

phew!
Ah okay 81-83 one year seems rather low! Quite promising.
At least you didn't take the verse because i found that really hard!
do you know anyone who took it that i could discuss with?!
Where/how do you study Greek? Are you on reduced timetable?
phew!
Ah okay 81-83 one year seems rather low! Quite promising.
At least you didn't take the verse because i found that really hard!
do you know anyone who took it that i could discuss with?!
Where/how do you study Greek? Are you on reduced timetable?

I doubt it'll be as low though. Probably around 87 like last year.
Yeah, heard the verse was rather unforgiving :P Unfortunately not - it's a rare subject and not many people take it.
I'm taking it privately with a tutor - had a strong basis so thought it was worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I doubt it'll be as low though. Probably around 87 like last year.
Yeah, heard the verse was rather unforgiving :P Unfortunately not - it's a rare subject and not many people take it.
I'm taking it privately with a tutor - had a strong basis so thought it was worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

where did you hear that? was it on here? sorry- literally desperate to talk to someone about it haha!!
Tell me about it- 270 people took a2 last year
Yay same me too! 2 hours a week!
where did you hear that? was it on here? sorry- literally desperate to talk to someone about it haha!!
Tell me about it- 270 people took a2 last year
Yay same me too! 2 hours a week!

Not on here, sorry :/

I see. Anyway - best of luck with it mate! Hope we rocked it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not on here, sorry :/

I see. Anyway - best of luck with it mate! Hope we rocked it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You too! Good luck with Latin on friday! I'll be taking it too :smile:
You too! Good luck with Latin on friday! I'll be taking it too :smile:

Haha good luck with that as well then :smile:

We'll be back here again then :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha good luck with that as well then :smile:

We'll be back here again then :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep no doubt i'll be asking for reassurance on grammar questions again.,...
Hey,

Someone told me (on TSR actually) that the A* boundary for Latin A2 is about 79/100 raw mark.
Really??? Is that true because it sees very low, only 10 more marks than an A!
Any information would be appreciated, as I really need to get as close to an A* as possible to get an A overall and then get into uni!!!!!!!!
:smile:
Does anyone have Tacitus notes that they are willing to share? i would be so appreciative
Original post by sootyrabbit123
Hey,

Someone told me (on TSR actually) that the A* boundary for Latin A2 is about 79/100 raw mark.
Really??? Is that true because it sees very low, only 10 more marks than an A!
Any information would be appreciated, as I really need to get as close to an A* as possible to get an A overall and then get into uni!!!!!!!!
:smile:

Don't listen! Not even the board knows the boundaries yet. They're decided towards the end of July, after moderation has taken place.

Original post by nickforster
Does anyone have Tacitus notes that they are willing to share? i would be so appreciative

Sure. I'll PM then in a sec.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending