The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SA-1
Its a common trait that I notice with Pakistanis, even with a lot of Arabs.. that Islam is often used to prove their point. So when they become passionate about something they will find a way of guilt tripping the other person using religion to make them agree.

Another thing is that the Quran was written in extremely old, classical Arabic. Language in those days was something that was really highly valued by arabs, and so a few words would literally describe a few sentences. If the Quran's verses are translated with modern arabic today, it wouldn't mean what it meant back then. Universities in the middle east often teach 'classical arabic' as a course, because its so different. The majority of people who can speak the modern arabic would not be able to clearly translate the Quran to you, probably wouldn't be anywhere near.

So it leaves a grey area, where a lot of whats written in the Qur'an is up for debate. It can be interpreted in different ways and often is. It creates a lot of division in Islam, and it allows people to cover up a lot of things with it.

I think another problem is that a lot of Muslims (like you're saying below) get confused with culture and Islam. They interchange the two readily without being able to distinguish. This has a lot to do with brought up and can usually be said for most of the Muslim community in the UK. Instead of reading the Qur'an with translation, they base their faith and their doings on hearsay and cultural and parental sayings/tradition which is ultimately unreliable. Due to this, a lot of cultural "don'ts" are confused with Islamic "don'ts"

My Muslim friend used to say that "It's haram to cut your hair if you're a girl" and a lot of non muslims believed her. I explained it wasn't and asked how she came to that with which she replied that it's what her mum has always taught her. My other Muslim friends had heard the same thing. This is where the problem partially lies; people following culture religiously.

A lot of Muslim children, as part of tradition, start reading the Qur'an in Arabic from an early age in order to finish it. Unfortunately, despite most kids having read it and finished it a lot of times, even when the grow older, few read it with meaning which is essentially the problem. How can you know your faith when you haven't read your book? Yes, reading it in Arabic is beneficial and encouraged but reading it and knowing what It's saying is ideal.

There was a lovely TED talk given on something similar to this.

[video="youtube;FETryXMpDl8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FETryXMpDl8[/video]

Original post by SA-1
Agree tbh, was discussing this at work. Islam isn't the problem, 'muslims' are. Often these people don't draw the line between culture and religion and thats when it all goes tragically wrong. They use religion to endorse culture, and it doesn't end up looking at all pretty.

I actually didn't notice this as I grew up. I went to a primary school where there weren't many asians and didn't ever experience racism, and wasn't seen as being any different to anyone else - it was the same with the early stages of secondary, even though both were in a pretty rough area. It was during the latter years of secondary that I started to notice how asians would distant themselves from the rest, as though "goreh" and "kaleh" were a different species. When I went to college, there was that traditional asian corner, and because most of my mates weren't asian.. I didn't really feel the need to go over and blend in with them. I was actually asked by a chap in my chemistry class to 'come over to the asians' which I found quite amusing :lol:

I think its something thats taught by society, especially if you grow up in an area where it happens a lot. Sad really.

I had a similar experience to you :lol:

When I was younger, I either didn't notice it or it didn't exist. High school was what exposed me to the bubbles. I remember people would often ask me "why do the Asians sit with the Asians and not talk to anyone else?" :lol:
It's definitely something encouraged by society and we can't really blame kids because a lot of them were brought up in this little bubble and grew up in this little bubble; for them it's the norm.

Original post by TornadoGR4
Interesting. It's certainly driven by national pride. Things I see shared on Facebook that are anti-asian are from pages called 'Britain first' or 'Proud to be English'. I go out pf my way to try to mix with the asian community, but it's difficult when you can feel eyes burrowing into you!

Yeah I agree and I think the opposite can be argued too. Soon, hopefully, it will become the norm in the eyes of society.

Original post by Wilfred Little
@silaiestatira I can't rep you but nice one for doing your bit, add an imaginary +9 to your rep.

Also, have you had an account on here before?

Lol Wilf it's mish :lol:
hey!
@Zurich [video="youtube;hJo4B-yaxfk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJo4B-yaxfk[/video]

Ignore the fact it's an Islamic lecture targeted at Muslims.

Islam doesn't preach pacifism, it preaches peace. There is a difference, like Rk2k14 said.
Original post by swirly
@Mad Vlad

we outchea

Hi everyone,

Please can you not tag in members who have requested to not be tagged. Reminders will be issued to those posting further tags in this thread for MadVlad.

Thanks,
Cersei
Original post by Queen Cersei
Hi everyone,
Please can you not tag in members who have requested to not be tagged. Reminders will be issued to those posting further tags in this thread for MadVlad.
Thanks,
Cersei

Who can we tag instead?
Someone who hates football.
Original post by TornadoGR4
Who can we tag instead?

Tagging is for the purpose of chatting not winding someone up so really whoever is happy to be tagged/would want to join the convo

Lets bring some happiness to this thread mann.

P.s.

@Stefano93 You making music videos up there on the down low these days? :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
All Muslims are paedophiles. Scientific fact.
Jfc how is asking someone football related questions in this thread worthy of a yellow card?
This thread is ****ing awful.
The proper mods on this forum are like fairies
lol at the outrage over this lion

who gives a ****
Think what the guy is awful, but PETA saying he should be hanged is pretty bad. I mean, what he's done may be morally questionable, but saying he deserves to be killed is a little extreme.
Original post by difeo
lol at the outrage over this lion

who gives a ****

Strong immorality or compassion

Why do people find it pleasurable to kill animals who have posed no threat to them
Original post by Queen Cersei
Hi everyone,
Thanks,
Cersei

:laugh:

Find it amusing that it actually got to him. People were tagging the **** out of me before I could tag.
Original post by Depleted
Strong immorality or compassion
Why do people find it pleasurable to kill animals who have posed no threat to them

strong hypocrisy

You're not a vegetarian
Original post by difeo
strong hypocrisy

You're not a vegetarian

Yes because eating an animal and killing purely for boasting reasons are the same
Original post by difeo
strong hypocrisy
You're not a vegetarian

Nothing wrong with killing for food as long as it's responsibly slaughtered from a sustainable population.

This isn't the same thing though and you know it.

Latest