The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GingerGnu
My GCSEs are 8A*s and 3As - thank you :smile:

Also if you go to the OP on this thread theres a link to the stalking page, you can enter in your own details and view other applicants stats.
I am thinking of applying for Law.

GCSEs were not that good.
A*, 6 As, 2 Bs and a C :frown:

AS level - 4 as (history, politics, religious studies & philosophy, English Language)
A2 - 4A*s (including EPQ) and an A in English Language.
3 exams = full UMS.

Didn't do great at LNAT but it has to be redone for this academic cycle anyway. Hate the LNAT!
Original post by GingerGnu
My only concern is that I am extremely nervous about being able to do well enough in the MAT, and I know this is a vital component of the application process. Does anyone have any advice on how to start preparing for the MAT?

Your results are obviously good, which means you may well be good at the MAT :smile: My advice would be simply to go through the past papers: in exam conditions where possible (maybe not necessary at the start) and then make good use of the model answers to make sure you understand everything.

And remember that if you don't do all that well in the MAT (remember that doing well in the MAT does not mean getting 100%, or even 80%), it probably means Oxford's style of exams wouldn't be the best fit for you, and another university might be more appropriate :smile: Oxford doesn't have a rigorous application process just for its own sake, it's trying to find the students that would benefit! So give it a go, and see how you do :smile:
Im hoping to apply for physics
My IGCSEs: 5A* 3A 1B (Add math too much noise) 1C (I really was expecting an A* just had a bad day)
Do you still think I Stand a chance? I know its not only based on that but...I´m afraid I wouldn´t be a very competitve applicant with those grades
Original post by imsomeone
Im hoping to apply for physics
My IGCSEs: 5A* 3A 1B (Add math too much noise) 1C (I really was expecting an A* just had a bad day)
Do you still think I Stand a chance? I know its not only based on that but...I´m afraid I wouldn´t be a very competitve applicant with those grades

GCSE grades aren't a very big factor in getting an offer. If Maths isn't your strength, maybe Oxford physics isn't for you. But if you love physics and can do well on the PAT (which has plenty of maths in) you'll be absolutely fine.
Original post by fluteflute
GCSE grades aren't a very big factor in getting an offer. If Maths isn't your strength, maybe Oxford physics isn't for you. But if you love physics and can do well on the PAT (which has plenty of maths in) you'll be absolutely fine.

I am good at maths, My B in additional maths was the best grade by far and its the first year my school offers this, I have represented my school in math olympics, and my math teachers have told me I am very good as do my physics ones
Thank you for your answer
Original post by fluteflute
Your results are obviously good, which means you may well be good at the MAT :smile: My advice would be simply to go through the past papers: in exam conditions where possible (maybe not necessary at the start) and then make good use of the model answers to make sure you understand everything.

And remember that if you don't do all that well in the MAT (remember that doing well in the MAT does not mean getting 100%, or even 80%), it probably means Oxford's style of exams wouldn't be the best fit for you, and another university might be more appropriate :smile: Oxford doesn't have a rigorous application process just for its own sake, it's trying to find the students that would benefit! So give it a go, and see how you do :smile:

That was really helpful - thanks! I think the annoying thing is that A-Level maths isn't too difficult as the questions are usually always in a similar style year on year, so applying the knowledge in unusual situations will be the biggest hurdle. But I shall persevere and try my very best :tongue:
Original post by aprocrastinator
Hey guys, I'm asking on behalf of my brother who wants to do Economics and is thinking about Oxbridge. I am familiar with Cambridge application process but not with Oxford's. He got his GCSE results today which were 12A*s and 2As (he's remarking the 2As :tongue:) and I was wondering if these results would be good enough for Economics?

Do you mind if I ask in which subjects he missed the A*s?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1728
Hi, this is AlphaMolecule on my new account - I'm applying to Oxford, Merton for physics.
anyone else applying for medicine?:smile:
Original post by MSJKSP
anyone else applying for medicine?:smile:

Check and enter your details on the stalking page, see the original post
Anyone else doing choral/organ scholarships?
Deadline in one week is making me nervous..! It's my first serious commitment to an application.
Original post by imsomeone
Im hoping to apply for physicsMy IGCSEs: 5A* 3A 1B (Add math too much noise) 1C (I really was expecting an A* just had a bad day)Do you still think I Stand a chance? I know its not only based on that but...I´m afraid I wouldn´t be a very competitve applicant with those grades

I got 5 A*s, 3 As, and 2 Bs, so quite similar (although not IGCSEs), and I'm applying for physics. I'm certainly not worried about my GCSEs being slightly below average; plenty of people who have been accepted in the past have had similar or worse grades. I'm concentrating on the PAT a good score in that, together with my AAAAB at AS-level should give me a good chance. On the other hand, I haven't done any further maths yet; if you're just starting A-levels, make sure you don't forget it :tongue:

Original post by CASĒ
Hi, this is AlphaMolecule on my new account - I'm applying to Oxford, Merton for physics.

I've done all the PAT past papers (I'll go over them in a few weeks). What's the next step in preparing for it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1733
Original post by ombtom
I got 5 A*s, 3 As, and 2 Bs, so quite similar (although not IGCSEs), and I'm applying for physics. I'm certainly not worried about my GCSEs being slightly below average; plenty of people who have been accepted in the past have had similar or worse grades. I'm concentrating on the PAT a good score in that, together with my AAAAB at AS-level should give me a good chance. On the other hand, I haven't done any further maths yet; if you're just starting A-levels, make sure you don't forget it :tongue:

I've done all the PAT past papers (I'll go over them in a few weeks). What's the next step in preparing for it?

Maybe try some physics AS challenge papers?
Original post by CASĒ
Maybe try some physics AS challenge papers?

I've just started them. Thanks :smile:
Original post by LamantChenille
Anyone else doing choral/organ scholarships?
Deadline in one week is making me nervous..! It's my first serious commitment to an application.

I'm not but I'm (college) married to one of the Director's of Chapel Music :love: Good luck - wishing you all the best :biggrin:
Does Oxford look at UMS and/or module marks? I've heard they're not a factor, but I wonder whether they actually see it.
when should i have started to prepare for the physics aptitude test? is it too late to start? i'm so worried
Original post by Clovpot
Does Oxford look at UMS and/or module marks? I've heard they're not a factor, but I wonder whether they actually see it.

They don't ask for it, but if you feel your UMS in some subjects is particularly high, you could get it mentioned in your reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tanyapotter
when should i have started to prepare for the physics aptitude test? is it too late to start? i'm so worried

It isn't too late, but I would recommend starting as soon as you can. Nothing too strenuous, but a gentle introduction to get a feel for the types of questions asked is good. Try the specimen paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending