The Student Room Group

University Applications and GCSE Results.

Hello Guys, as I recieved my GCSE results last week, I was slightly concerned about few things. I really would like to go to a good university to study Law or Law with International Relations. I have got these results A*A*AAABBBBBCC as my final grades. However, in year 10 our teacher for Graphics have left and we have been having teachers who only thaught us information on drawing skills rather then teaching us things that we should know for our exam in Year 11. But in Year 11 we have got a proper Graphics teacher and she was shocked that how we didn't know so much and missed a year of good learning but she had to focus on us completing our course work for nearly the whole year and left revision to 2 months before the exam while still completing our course work , she excpected lot from me as I was the second best in the class. So lets get to the point I got a D grade in my written exam as there were topics in it that we haven't gone through as a classes and topics that I didnt really know. But I got A* in my coursework which brought up my overall final grade for Graphics to an A (which I don't know how) so will the universities look at my final grades for GCSE or both the final grades and the breakdowns where it is shown that I got D in graphics written exam. I am really worried please help!!! Thanks x
(edited 8 years ago)
Universities (excluding Oxford who use them alongside their own tests to see who is suitable for an interview) do not really look at your GCSEs beyond the required pass/B grade in English language and maths. Also graphics is in no way related to law, don't worry! Your GCSEs are good and if you get good A Level results you'll be able to get into a good uni (A Levels are infinitely more important than GCSEs when it comes to university). Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by victoria98
Universities (excluding Oxford who use them alongside their own tests to see who is suitable for an interview) do not really look at your GCSEs beyond the required pass/B grade in English language and maths. Also graphics is in no way related to law, don't worry! Your GCSEs are good and if you get good A Level results you'll be able to get into a good uni (A Levels are infinitely more important than GCSEs when it comes to university). Good luck :smile:

So technically I do not have a chance of getting into Oxford or Cambridge? xx:colonhash:
Original post by Yagmur_9898
So technically I do not have a chance of getting into Oxford or Cambridge? xx:colonhash:

I didn't say that. You absolutely do, depending of course on how you do in your A Levels. Oxford pay more attention to GCSE results than Cambridge do. Cambridge quite like high UMS averages in A Levels.
Reply 4
I didn't say that. You absolutely do, depending of course on how you do in your A Levels. Oxford pay more attention to GCSE results than Cambridge do. Cambridge quite like high UMS averages in A Levels.

I undertand now, but what I don't get is what UMS is? I researched it but you couldn't quite grasp what it is really all about.
I undertand now, but what I don't get is what UMS is? I researched it but you couldn't quite grasp what it is really all about.

Well basically grade boundaries (how many raw marks you need for a grade) change every year depending on how students perform on the paper. But UMS points always stay the same. For a paper worth 100 UMS, 80 UMS will always be an A, 70 a B, 60 a C and so on. They do this to make it fair since the difficulty of papers varies every year. So one year person A might get 80 UMS with for example 74/100 raw marks and the next year person B might also get 80 UMS but with 70/100 raw marks because the paper they sat was more difficult. Cambridge will automatically interview you if your UMS average in 3 most relevant subjects is something like 93%. I hope this makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Well basically grade boundaries (how many raw marks you need for a grade) change every year depending on how students perform on the paper. But UMS points always stay the same. For a paper worth 100 UMS, 80 UMS will always be an A, 70 a B, 60 a C and so on. They do this to make it fair since the difficulty of papers varies every year. So one year person A might get 80 UMS with for example 74/100 raw marks and the next year person B might also get 80 UMS but with 70/100 raw marks because the paper they sat was more difficult. Cambridge will automatically interview you if your UMS average in 3 most relevant subjects is something like 93%. I hope this makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, it does thank you but does this just applied to A-levels or GCSE's as well?
Yes, it does thank you but does this just applied to A-levels or GCSE's as well?

It's the same with GCSEs :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
It's the same with GCSEs :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

so then how do we work out our avarage UMS point as overall?
so then how do we work out our avarage UMS point as overall?

I may have misunderstood your previous question- Cambridge don't look at your average GCSE UMS %. However, if you want to work it out for the sake of knowing it - you need to divide your UMS score by the total UMS score you could've attained. So if someone achieved 275 UMS in a subject worth an overall 300 (e.g. a science with AQA) that's equivalent to 275/300 x 100 = 91.7% (approximately 92). You can do this for all your subjects and work out an average percentage by adding them all up and dividing by how many there are.
I may have misunderstood your previous question- Cambridge don't look at your average GCSE UMS %. However, if you want to work it out for the sake of knowing it - you need to divide your UMS score by the total UMS score you could've attained. So if someone achieved 275 UMS in a subject worth an overall 300 (e.g. a science with AQA) that's equivalent to 275/300 x 100 = 91.7% (approximately 92). You can do this for all your subjects and work out an average percentage by adding them all up and dividing by how many there are.

Thank you x

Quick Reply

Latest