The Student Room Group

Shouldn't students get their exam papers back after the remark deadline?

I never understood why exam boards feel the need to keep GCSE papers
Reply 1
Exactly. I've always wanted to know how I did with different questions, additionally to see what areas I done bad on a subject so I can rectify it for A-Level. It's so stupid.
Reply 2
So they can burn them
as it standas exam papers all ready do the following journeys

papers sent out to schools
papers returned to board
papers sent to markers
papers sent to moderators
papers returned to board

some of the exam boards get a whole truck a day from their preferred courier of papers during the main exam season
Original post by Tily
Exactly. I've always wanted to know how I did with different questions, additionally to see what areas I done bad on a subject so I can rectify it for A-Level. It's so stupid.

I agree
Original post by aamirac
So they can burn them

That's my job
Original post by zippyRN
as it standas exam papers all ready do the following journeys

papers sent out to schools
papers returned to board
papers sent to markers
papers sent to moderators
papers returned to board

some of the exam boards get a whole truck a day from their preferred courier of papers during the main exam season

I know but surely there'd be a way. How about giving them back to the school and students can collect after the remark deadline.
It's quite expensive to have to reorganise all the papers again by centre and then to transport them to all the individual centres. Money is probably the biggest reason behind it.
Reply 6
Original post by danielwinstanley
I know but surely there'd be a way. How about giving them back to the school and students can collect after the remark deadline.

There's a way but it would cost a fair bit of time and money and very few people would want it. I struggle to get students to collect their formal certificates, about 1 student a year wants 1 bit of coursework (which does come back). Returning all the work to centres would be a massive waste of time and money. You can pay to get yours back though I accept getting the lot back would be expensive.

p.s. The effort required to get students at 11-16 schools who had left to collect the work would be unbelievable - as I said we struggle to get students to collect certificates. No success after a letter and 4 phone calls is not uncommon.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Compost
There's a way but it would cost a fair bit of time and money and very few people would want it. I struggle to get students to collect their formal certificates, about 1 student a year wants 1 bit of coursework (which does come back). Returning all the work to centres would be a massive waste of time and money. You can pay to get yours back though I accept getting the lot back would be expensive.

p.s. The effort required to get students at 11-16 schools who had left to collect the work would be unbelievable - as I said we struggle to get students to collect certificates. No success after a letter and 4 phone calls is not uncommon.

And quite apart from the effort involved, there's the issue of storage space for several years' worth of coursework nobody wants, which for English amounts to very large stacks of paper.
Reply 8
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
And quite apart from the effort involved, there's the issue of storage space for several years' worth of coursework nobody wants, which for English amounts to very large stacks of paper.

Did you know that you are allowed to destroy it after 22 November after the summer it was submitted? - But you won't care any more as you are free!
Original post by Compost
Did you know that you are allowed to destroy it after 22 November after the summer it was submitted? - But you won't care any more as you are free!

Yes, but we never seemed to get round to it and the HOD would always demur on the side of caution.... But yes, Dobby is freeeeee!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest