The Student Room Group

Appealing a remark for Edexcel alevel economics ?

hi, I just got one mark of of getting a grade B on economics, and I am planning to appeal for a remark, is it worth it? As this grade is important for me in getting my uni for next year.
I have asked school if there is someone can help me to take an insight of which paper to appeal however my school told me that they don don't have any economic teachers in school at this moment. What should I do? Should I appeal for all three papers or just paper 1 and 2 as they are more heavily weighted.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Jisungiebaebo
hi, I just got one mark of of getting a grade B on economics, and I am planning to appeal for a remark, is it worth it? As this grade is important for me in getting my uni for next year.
I have asked school if there is someone can help me to take an insight of which paper to appeal however my school told me that they don don't have any economic teachers in school at this moment. What should I do? Should I appeal for all three papers or just paper 1 and 2 as they are more heavily weighted.

Well, you're too late to take advantage of the free Access to Scripts service which all the exam boards provide (that deadline was 31 August, two weeks after A level results day). Have your school given you your mark per paper, so you can see which had a relatively low mark (compared to the others), allowing for the uneven weighting? The risk of getting all three papers reviewed (or even two) is that you might gain a mark one one paper, only to lose it on the next. If you'd started this a few weeks ago, you'd potentially have had time to get each paper reviewed one after the other (stopping once you'd gained a mark, obviously).

If it were me, I'd have your school send one paper off for review tomorrow. The exam board has 20 calendar days to get that back to you, which is after the deadline of 28 September by which they must have received all review requests. But hopefully you'd get the first review back in enough time that you can decide whether to also do the second paper or not. If their response isn't back by 26 or 27 September, you'd need to decide whether to send a second paper in for review too (knowing it might lose a mark gained on the first paper).
Reply 2
Hi, I have access the script already, I got the same mark for paper 1 and 2 and got slightly lower mark for paper 3. Do you recommend me to send paper 3 for a review first tomorrow?
Original post by Jisungiebaebo
Hi, I have access the script already, I got the same mark for paper 1 and 2 and got slightly lower mark for paper 3. Do you recommend me to send paper 3 for a review first tomorrow?

If you have access to the papers, have you reviewed them yourself for "missing" marks? (I know you said no teacher was available to help.)

The fact that you "got the same mark for paper 1 and 2 and got slightly lower mark for paper 3" makes it a bit awkward doesn't it? (Especially as papers 1 and 2 are worth 35% each but paper 3 is worth 30%.) :smile:

From what you've said above, gaining 1 mark of any of the three papers would tip you over the grade B boundary, so unless you have any other reason to suppose that papers 1 or 2 might have more chance of a mark being found (by having looked at them), then having paper 3 reviewed sounds like a reasonable approach to me. :crossedf:

Quick Reply

Latest