The Student Room Group

Crazy remark stories ?

Rlly need some hope 😭 somehow got a D and I’m 100% sure the essays I wrote in my exam were grade A quality will be remarking it though !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What subject did you do? Also examiners marks differently so your essay might have ended up with a harsh examiner. You may be able to ask for the transcript of your exam and ask your teacher to review it, if they think you got an A then maybe they’ll support you in asking for a remark. But if they agree with the mark that was assigned to you then it’s likely that your essay was not to that standard unfortunately. Hope this helps.
Original post by cinamonbun22
Rlly need some hope 😭 somehow got a D and I’m 100% sure the essays I wrote in my exam were grade A quality will be remarking it though !

This isn't a crazy remark story, but it may offer some hope. The stats Ofqual published last year (here) show that, "In June 2022, just over 0.3% of all grades challenged resulted in a grade change of 2 grades or more." Now, they've quoted that stat to show how low a percentage that is. But in numeric terms, this was 110 challenges which resulted in a change of at least two grades.

Imagine if you were one of those 110 people, who got a C grade - losing their university place as a result - only to be told two weeks later, "Ooops. Sorry. That was actually an A." So this sort of thing does happen. It happened 110 times last year.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
This isn't a crazy remark story, but it may offer some hope. The stats Ofqual published last year (here) show that, "In June 2022, just over 0.3% of all grades challenged resulted in a grade change of 2 grades or more." Now, they've quoted that stat to show how low a percentage that is. But in numeric terms, this was 110 challenges which resulted in a change of at least two grades.

Imagine if you were one of those 110 people, who got a C grade - losing their university place as a result - only to be told two weeks later, "Ooops. Sorry. That was actually an A." So this sort of thing does happen. It happened 110 times last year.

Really hope I’m part of the 110 😭😭 thank you so much
Reply 4
Really hope I’m part of the 110 😭😭 thank you so much

Have some hope! My friend was 2 marks off an A* which she needed for Cambridge and lost her offer- she got it remarked and it went up 🥲 they told her the places had filled up and to wait the year after
Reply 5
Original post by anoraeb
Have some hope! My friend was 2 marks off an A* which she needed for Cambridge and lost her offer- she got it remarked and it went up 🥲 they told her the places had filled up and to wait the year after

Aww congrats to her 🫶🏾
Reply 6
Original post by anoraeb

That’s actually crazy to lose your place like that. But congrats to her, I hope she doesn’t have to apply again for next year and her place is already secured.
Reply 7
Original post by ArmN
What subject did you do? Also examiners marks differently so your essay might have ended up with a harsh examiner. You may be able to ask for the transcript of your exam and ask your teacher to review it, if they think you got an A then maybe they’ll support you in asking for a remark. But if they agree with the mark that was assigned to you then it’s likely that your essay was not to that standard unfortunately. Hope this helps.

I do A level business and I’m 100% sure I didn’t get a D
Reply 8
Original post by ArmN
That’s actually crazy to lose your place like that. But congrats to her, I hope she doesn’t have to apply again for next year and her place is already secured.

Her place was secured for the year after but she didnt want to take a gap year so went to a diff uni
I just got my English Lit Remark back and I gained 11 marks resulting in a grade change from a C to a B
Reply 10
Original post by loserclubs
I just got my English Lit Remark back and I gained 11 marks resulting in a grade change from a C to a B

Congrats! I’m so happy for you:smile:
Reply 11

what exam board were you?
Congrats! I’m so happy for you:smile:

OCR
Reply 13

OCR

Hey that is frewy news for the remark, I take Aqa English literature and went from A in essays to a C overall. I am hoping for a remark for my paper 2 as I had been marked so harshly in which I have gained less than 10 Mark's for all three essays which is shocking. Also, my coursework has not been weighed accurately by 1.5 Mark's sadly and so I am stuck as to appeal the course work or pay a high price to get the clerical re checks.
Does anyone recommend that Literature papers should go via remarks as I am hoping to fill the forms out soon and send my papers via.?
Reply 14
Original post by BUNNYXO
Hey that is frewy news for the remark, I take Aqa English literature and went from A in essays to a C overall. I am hoping for a remark for my paper 2 as I had been marked so harshly in which I have gained less than 10 Mark's for all three essays which is shocking. Also, my coursework has not been weighed accurately by 1.5 Mark's sadly and so I am stuck as to appeal the course work or pay a high price to get the clerical re checks.
Does anyone recommend that Literature papers should go via remarks as I am hoping to fill the forms out soon and send my papers via.?

Oops I meant to say incredible news x.
Original post by BUNNYXO

I assume a uni place isn't pending the outcome of this? (The deadline to request a Priority Review of Marking was a couple of days ago.)

I recommend you use the free Access to Scripts service which provide you and your teachers with immediate on-line access to your marked papers (unless your exam board in AQA, in which case expect to wait 10 days for this). You can then go through the papers together to decide whether there's been an issue with marking (and so request a Review of Marking), a problem totaling the marks (and so request a Clerical Re-Check) or neither (and so do nothing). The service must be requested through school / college.
Reply 16
Just for those still waiting for a remark - my son has just had his AQA English Lit remarked and gained 6 marks which gives him the grades for his firm choice uni.
Reply 17
Original post by Laney8L
Just for those still waiting for a remark - my son has just had his AQA English Lit remarked and gained 6 marks which gives him the grades for his firm choice uni.

thank you for posting this! as someone who’s waiting on an aqa remark it’s good to hear that they’re sending out responses now
Reply 18
That is great news Congratulations.
I have requested my exams team to email the exam board and ask them to double check the Mark's for coursework, I am hoping for the best that they realise their mistake and a correction is made. Hopefully, this will be without any added costs, further I have requested a clerical check so that will take some time to arrive, but am remaining hopeful.
Original post by Laney8L

That's fantastic news. Both you and he must be delighted! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest