The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by antigone-
Yeah that's why I don't like it being my only source! Thanks for the link! Honestly the information on both colleges is equally great, I just can't decide :frown:

The only bad thing about Magdalen so far seems to be the first year accommodation isn't amazing, but that isn't a big enough problem for me to completely discount it.

Party of my reason for not applying to Magdalen was their first year accommodation, but having actually seen it, it's not bad at all, and I think that was a rather poor reason :tongue:
Original post by fluteflute
Party of my reason for not applying to Magdalen was their first year accommodation, but having actually seen it, it's not bad at all, and I think that was a rather poor reason :tongue:

Yeah I don't think I'll let that influence my decision but I'm going to have to go through the colleges with a fine tooth comb if I want to decide :s-smilie:
Yeah I don't think I'll let that influence my decision but I'm going to have to go through the colleges with a fine tooth comb if I want to decide :s-smilie:

It sounds like you've probably already done this, BUT, just in case you haven't yet, read up on bursaries and benefits and the societies of each college- it may be that one offers better financial or social links for your subject or financial background etc. :smile:
It's a slim chance you haven't checked but on the off chance that you've not, it's worth considering and may tip the scales.
Original post by Ivoryfall
It sounds like you've probably already done this, BUT, just in case you haven't yet, read up on bursaries and benefits and the societies of each college- it may be that one offers better financial or social links for your subject or financial background etc. :smile:
It's a slim chance you haven't checked but on the off chance that you've not, it's worth considering and may tip the scales.

Thanks again, I have and it hasn't tipped the scales unfortunately but I wasn't really looking in as much depth as I could have so I'll go over it again :smile: What college(s) are you thinking of?
I'm thinking of applying to Oxford just to see what happens on the off chance I get in, I'd like to do Physics and my main concern is the PAT to get in

GCSE grades: 10A* and 3A
A levels: 4As at AS (math, further, chem and physics), hopefully A*A*A or A*AA at A2 (maths, chem and physics) with an EPQ

I visited Oxford in the summer but sadly lots of the colleges were closed and you couldn't get in...
I like the look of Keble, Exeter, Hertford and Somerville but will have to think about it further

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks again, I have and it hasn't tipped the scales unfortunately but I wasn't really looking in as much depth as I could have so I'll go over it again :smile: What college(s) are you thinking of?

I'm applying 100% to Hertford for Oriental Studies (Chinese).

I was torn between Hertford and Harris Manchester, because of being mature means Harris Manchester is a unique option with a special environment, but Hertford was in an area I loved, I totally fell for the Quad accommodation and, financially, it offered my more help as someone with a very poor background and a partner who is becoming a mature student himself next month, so money is (sadly) an important consideration.

Both are gorgeous and it was a hard decision, I spent a good long while agonizing over it, so I can sympathise with you! Also, another factor that MAY have helped... Hertford has a CAT!! <3
Original post by Ivoryfall
I'm applying 100% to Hertford for Oriental Studies (Chinese).

I was torn between Hertford and Harris Manchester, because of being mature means Harris Manchester is a unique option with a special environment, but Hertford was in an area I loved, I totally fell for the Quad accommodation and, financially, it offered my more help as someone with a very poor background and a partner who is becoming a mature student himself next month, so money is (sadly) an important consideration.

Both are gorgeous and it was a hard decision, I spent a good long while agonizing over it, so I can sympathise with you! Also, another factor that MAY have helped... Hertford has a CAT!! <3

I'm in a similar situation with the financial stuff but luckily Oxford does offer a lot of help. Tbh if Magdalen had a cat I would 100% apply there without a doubt :wink:

Best of luck with your application :smile:
I'm in a similar situation with the financial stuff but luckily Oxford does offer a lot of help. Tbh if Magdalen had a cat I would 100% apply there without a doubt :wink:

Best of luck with your application :smile:

A cat is a big swing for me; I'm a huge animal lover and give to charities regularly, even though I'm basically broke! I only wish you for your sake that Magdalen had something to swing it for you! Maybe a coin toss is in order? :wink:

Thank you for the luck, I am going to need it against such stiff competition! :smile: Good luck yourself, too! <3
I know people will say,
I know people will say it doesnt matter, but which colleges are renowned for being 'left wing' etc?
Original post by ConexionWarrior
I know people will say it doesnt matter, but which colleges are renowned for being 'left wing' etc?

Mansfield I believe, at least that's what I've always been told :tongue:
I've got a place to study French and Beginners' Italian at Oxford (St Anne's) this year, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to message me - I remember when I was in your situation this time last year :smile:
Original post by ConexionWarrior

Wadham and Balliol (with the exception of Boris Johnson!) I think many colleges will have a variety of views and so cannot be labelled as either left or right wing. However, Wadham is known as particularly liberal :smile:
Original post by Dontknowhy
I'm thinking of applying to Oxford just to see what happens on the off chance I get in, I'd like to do Physics and my main concern is the PAT to get in

GCSE grades: 10A* and 3A
A levels: 4As at AS (math, further, chem and physics), hopefully A*A*A or A*AA at A2 (maths, chem and physics) with an EPQ

I visited Oxford in the summer but sadly lots of the colleges were closed and you couldn't get in...
I like the look of Keble, Exeter, Hertford and Somerville but will have to think about it further

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you haven't already, start working on the PAT now because it is the most important thing in getting an interview!
Reply 1914
Without doing any extensive research, I thought I'd probably apply to New College, simply because I'd prefer a large college and was v impressed when I visited it. (Oh, and they filmed parts of Harry Potter there...) :wink:
However, today a friend suggested I choose a different college, as apparently New College consistently tops/comes near to the top of the Norrington Table, thus making it more difficult to get in to.
Thoughts on this? :biggrin:
Original post by lucyx
Without doing any extensive research, I thought I'd probably apply to New College, simply because I'd prefer a large college and was v impressed when I visited it. (Oh, and they filmed parts of Harry Potter there...) :wink:
However, today a friend suggested I choose a different college, as apparently New College consistently tops/comes near to the top of the Norrington Table, thus making it more difficult to get in to.

If you look at the stats provided on the Oxford webpage you'll see that Brasenose and Worcester have the most applicants. Magdalen is currently top and is consistently in the top 5 (not that the Norrington tables mean anything) and I'm still applying :smile:
Original post by lucyx

Personally I would see the fact that it does well in the Norrington Table as a reason to apply, not as one to apply somewhere else.

I take your friend's point. But go for it if you like it there!
Original post by lucyx

I'd just apply to wherever you want to apply. You might as well go for the college you want to go for the most and if you end up being moved to a different college then that's not the end of the world since most people seem to say they're happy wherever they end up. If you visited it and you thought you'd be happy living there, that seems like a perfectly sensible reason to apply (the fact that it was high on the Norrington table in Year X is pretty irrelevant though).
Original post by lucyx

I see what you mean about more applicants making it more difficult to get in, but I think that so many people get moved around anyway it probably won't make much difference, so definitely apply for the college you like best :smile:
Anyone applying for physics? If so can you provide me with resources to study for the PAT? Videos, websites, questions, anything.
I need to get started preparing for it like right now.

Latest

Trending

Trending