The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

That was a sweet catch by Bailey and a tremendous throw for rams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also I'm watching Redzone on like a 30 minute delay because I paused it to eat... so can everyone synchronise watches to 30 minutes ago so I can participate in this thread without spoilers lol :wink:
Original post by SmashConcept
Also I'm watching Redzone on like a 30 minute delay because I paused it to eat... so can everyone synchronise watches to 30 minutes ago so I can participate in this thread without spoilers lol :wink:

Nah bro. That's not the rules. You have to avoid parts of the Internet if you care about spoilers.

Have you not been spoiler ed on everything already?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Nah bro. That's not the rules. You have to avoid parts of the Internet if you care about spoilers.

Have you not been spoiler ed on everything already?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I know. I've been spoilered on some stuff, but what I'm watching is still exciting. I scrolled past some stuff I think, just because I wanted to mention the Jets DE.
Mariota and Winston playing against each other in their first games.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Holy ****, I bet Hoyer is glad he wasn't on a short leash :rofl:
My stream died and I missed the end of the seahawks game. :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1387
****, Rams win in O/T. Great end to the game though, it was like the end of last season again for Seahawks, slow starting and then everything comes together in the 4th Q, 18 unanswered points in 7 and a half minutes, a loss, but they'll do well again this season no doubt, NFC West will be competitive this season!
No word of a lie, I just said to my mates in xbox party chat at 3rd and 3, Winston throws a pick 6 here. Crystal ball.
Lmao, Winston first throw is interception for TD...

Mariota was a giant TD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1390
Ooh. DT, come and wallow in misery with me. That was not a pretty first pass.
Original post by Wattsy
The Rams just recovered a surprise onside kick from the Hawks! What was that about conservative coaching?

I actually think that's a really intelligent call. Assuming your onside kick goes 15 yards, you don't lose out on that much field position, and a field goal still isn't an insta-win for your opponent. There is actually an interesting quirk of the rules here, because a FG wins the game instantly if your opponent has "had a chance to gain possession of the ball" or words to that effect. Having the ball kicked to you fulfils this criteria even if it's an onside kick that your opponent recovers, so if the Hawks had recovered they could have won instantly by getting into FG range and being successful.

One of the wackiest rules ever on show there.

If you're talking about the fair catch rule, kickers always kick it at the ground because of this and there's really no excuse for a pro kicker to botch it. Massive heads up play by the Ram who noticed he was able to fair catch the ball, that is just really ****ing smart.

Here's another interesting quirk of the rules: after a fair catch, you're allowed to attempt an uncontested field goal from the spot of the catch. This never happens, because fair catches almost always happen in your own territory and even so, it's almost always better to take the first down. But the Rams could have kicked for goal from the spot of the fair catch, with no pass rush.

Some very interesting nerd stuff going on in STL :biggrin:
Reply 1392
Original post by SmashConcept
I actually think that's a really intelligent call. Assuming your onside kick goes 15 yards, you don't lose out on that much field position, and a field goal still isn't an insta-win for your opponent. There is actually an interesting quirk of the rules here, because a FG wins the game instantly if your opponent has "had a chance to gain possession of the ball" or words to that effect. Having the ball kicked to you fulfils this criteria even if it's an onside kick that your opponent recovers, so if the Hawks had recovered they could have won instantly by getting into FG range and being successful.

If you're talking about the fair catch rule, kickers always kick it at the ground because of this and there's really no excuse for a pro kicker to botch it. Massive heads up play by the Ram who noticed he was able to fair catch the ball, that is just really ****ing smart.

Here's another interesting quirk of the rules: after a fair catch, you're allowed to attempt an uncontested field goal from the spot of the catch. This never happens, because fair catches almost always happen in your own territory and even so, it's almost always better to take the first down. But the Rams could have kicked for goal from the spot of the fair catch, with no pass rush.

Some very interesting nerd stuff going on in STL :biggrin:

Impressive knowledge! I was like huh?! I knew the ball didn't hit the ground but I had no idea about the rules. After seeing the fair catch thing though it all made sense.

Amari Cooper must be really annoying. I don't get how that guy wasn't ejected though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Its all gonna be okay. Brett farve threw an int on his first nfl play!
Reply 1394
Original post by ..DT..
Its all gonna be okay. Brett farve threw an int on his first nfl play!

So many good QBs led the league in INTs in their 1st season. That is our Bortles omen.

Eifert looking good for a comeback this season too. He's been great today.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
So many good QBs led the league in INTs in their 1st season. That is our Bortles omen.

Winston was always gonna be shaky, more worried about our defence. No sign of improvement at all.
Reply 1396
Gronk or Mariota for AFC OPoW? Not something I thought we'd be contemplating!

Manning pick 6. At least it's not just the Jags.
(edited 8 years ago)
Im thinking we Hawks shouldnt throw or run the ball on the 1yd line ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Fun game, in a root canal treatment sort of way. To Rams fans though - How many virgins do i need to sacrifice to the football gods to get my own Aaron Donald to love and hold?

[Full credit to Rams, totally deserved the win. Hawks defense was weird, much better pass rush and run blocking but big holes in coverage with some really poor LB play. Also nothing really from Frank Clark which was surprising given his preseason form. Gave up too many big plays at the worst times and Wilson once again not releasing ball fast enough. First week though, no injuries and Rams games are always hell and never a great indicator to how either team will do in the season. Packers game should be great fun.]
(edited 8 years ago)
So how about Mariota eh...
Original post by MrDystopia
So how about Mariota eh...

Don't get me wrong, he's played a perfect début game, but lets see how he gets on against a team with an actual defence and not 11 traffic cones.

Quick Reply

Latest