The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Magnesium
Oh I know, that's the worst :redface: That's especially bad when it comes to questions 2-5! How are you finding it time wise? I'm still getting used to the style of thinking, and it's taking me a lot longer than 2.5 hours to finish it, since i separate the sessions out between different days to let me think about how to answer the question :eek: Might do a timed one very soon to see how I fare D:

Ooh, sounds good :smile: I know haha, if we got rejected at the outset, I'd be so disappointed in myself :') How is your UCAS, grades etc coming along?

Yeah exactly!! It's reassuring that I get it correct but I'm never sure if my solution would be considered enough to the admissions tutors. Finding it alright, the first one I did took about 2 hours and 25 minutes but I only managed 61%. Did another and it was just about the same but managed 70% ish. I'm saving the bulk of it til nearer to the exam.

Grades are a bit complex, I had some very bad extenuating circumstances last year which led me to getting BCD in my previous (Scottish) qualifications. However, it's misleading because I got 80% and 95% in the written exams for the C and D but hopelessly failed the coursework because of my situation.

This year though (essentially a gap year), I'm doing A-levels in Maths, FM and Econ (all in a year), to prove that the previous grades were an anomaly.

Otherwise:
Subjects: Maths, FM, Econ
Predictions: A*A*A
GCSEs: 3A*s 5As

I've sent everything off! How about yourself?
Original post by Princepieman
Yeah exactly!! It's reassuring that I get it correct but I'm never sure if my solution would be considered enough to the admissions tutors. Finding it alright, the first one I did took about 2 hours and 25 minutes but I only managed 61%. Did another and it was just about the same but managed 70% ish. I'm saving the bulk of it til nearer to the exam.

Grades are a bit complex, I had some very bad extenuating circumstances last year which led me to getting BCD in my previous (Scottish) qualifications. However, it's misleading because I got 80% and 95% in the written exams for the C and D but hopelessly failed the coursework because of my situation.

This year though (essentially a gap year), I'm doing A-levels in Maths, FM and Econ (all in a year), to prove that the previous grades were an anomaly.

Otherwise:

MAT practice is going ok for me at the moment. Trying to get through FP3 this month however so I will probably have less time to prepare than others will. I'm getting 1 a decent amount of the time in the STEP 1 papers I'm doing atm however I am yet to do full MAT paper. Should be ok though. I really need to get In like the 10th percentile for the MAT in order to stand a chance at Oxford or Imperial though.

Mathematics at Brasenose here!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Louisb19
MAT practice is going ok for me at the moment. Trying to get through FP3 this month however so I will probably have less time to prepare than others will. I'm getting 1 a decent amount of the time in the STEP 1 papers I'm doing atm however I am yet to do full MAT paper. Should be ok though. I really need to get In like the 10th percentile for the MAT in order to stand a chance at Oxford or Imperial though.

Good stuff dude! I tried STEP 1 and managed a few smatterings of 1s and 2s but I don't know whether that's because of luck or not. Have you been doing any UKMT papers? I hear they're very useful. I've also been doing a lot of the special papers (IYGB I think) and they've been fairly fun.

I reeeaaally need to get over 70, ideally 80 to even be considered because of my grades. So I understand the pressure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

Otherwise:

Ah I see, did you manage to include your extenuating circumstances in your application? :smile: I think as long as you ace the MAT and interview, they might overlook those grades anyway because you're showing your hardworking plus you're predicted amazing grades and you can show off all your skills at interview! :biggrin:

I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Chem and Econ. I got 5As last year and I'm predicted A*A*A*A this year with 12A*s 2As at GCSE.

Mine still hasn't been sent off yet :eek: So many of my friends have got Warwick offers already!
Ah I see, did you manage to include your extenuating circumstances in your application? :smile: I think as long as you ace the MAT and interview, they might overlook those grades anyway because you're showing your hardworking plus you're predicted amazing grades and you can show off all your skills at interview! :biggrin:

I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Chem and Econ. I got 5As last year and I'm predicted A*A*A*A this year with 12A*s 2As at GCSE.

Mine still hasn't been sent off yet :eek: So many of my friends have got Warwick offers already!

My friends have also got offers from Warwick! What subjects have they got offers for? I know a few for history
Original post by OxSarah
Ahahah atm I'm like "Are you serious?Are you seriously considering applying to Oxford med?" .I suppose we are really really brave people :biggrin:

Haha, I'm asking myself exactly the same question. It's crazy :biggrin:

Good luck to everybody anyway! 🍀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LoveToArgue
My friends have also got offers from Warwick! What subjects have they got offers for? I know a few for history

Biomedical Science and Engineering! Haven't heard of any maths offers yet though :redface:
Original post by antigone-
It will be beneficial if you discuss it in your PS but it won't raise your chances or anything. Just be confident in it in case you get an interview :smile:

Ok, thanks very much for your advice! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Biomedical Science and Engineering! Haven't heard of any maths offers yet though :redface:

I've not either! I applied for Law last friday and still haven't heard anything, but I guess we are still really early on in the whole process :smile:
I've not either! I applied for Law last friday and still haven't heard anything, but I guess we are still really early on in the whole process :smile:

That's true. I heard Warwick gave out lots of offers last year though and any near-misses were subsequently rejected on results day! D: I submitted my application to school last week but it hasn't been sent off yet - hopefully it all happens soon :biggrin:

Where else did you apply for Law? :smile:
That's true. I heard Warwick gave out lots of offers last year though and any near-misses were subsequently rejected on results day! D: I submitted my application to school last week but it hasn't been sent off yet - hopefully it all happens soon :biggrin:

Where else did you apply for Law? :smile:

I'm not sure if I'd prefer it if they gave out offers more loosely and then rejected loads on results day, or gave out fewer offers initially!

Oxford, Durham, LSE and Bristol- all LNAT unis except LSE, so I've got a mix of LNAT and non-LNAT in case things don't go to plan. Do you need to do any admissions tests other than the MAT?
Quick question : if you had extenuating circumstances will it show up on your UCAS track? Or will that be part of the reference process? AND I remarked my English it went up by 15 MARKS! I cannot believe it!!
I'm not sure if I'd prefer it if they gave out offers more loosely and then rejected loads on results day, or gave out fewer offers initially!

Oxford, Durham, LSE and Bristol- all LNAT unis except LSE, so I've got a mix of LNAT and non-LNAT in case things don't go to plan. Do you need to do any admissions tests other than the MAT?

I guess if they gave out a few offers and you were one of those offer-holders, it'd feel pretty good! :lol:

When your's LNAT exam? :redface: Do you have in mind where you would firm/insure if you got all your offers?:biggrin:

I have STEP for Warwick, Bath and Bristol's 'alternative' offers! But they're next summer, so we'll see have to how prep for that goes :tongue:
Original post by Smithy-Smiths
Quick question : if you had extenuating circumstances will it show up on your UCAS track? Or will that be part of the reference process? AND I remarked my English it went up by 15 MARKS! I cannot believe it!!

Congrats on that remark :biggrin: :king1: :awesome:

Oxford doesn't have an official form as such for extenuating circumstances, so it's best that your school makes the situation clear in the reference :yes:

Yeah! I got my reference to explain, briefly, the situation and also called up the admissions tutor to let them know beforehand. Hopefully!!!! That's exactly the thought process I have, hence why the MAT is of the utmost importance for me. :eek:

Wow, your grades insane! 12A*s at GCSE is incredible, well done! :yep:

Ah, fair enough, I read that you sent it off to your school already - shouldn't be much longer. :smile: Yeah, I've heard similar things as well - no news yet for me though. :frown: Ooh, we're applying to 3 of the same unis haha! Bristol, Warwick and Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thechemistress
My username is misleading, yeah xD I applied for medicine :lol:

Thank you :h: have you sent yours off?

Not yet, hopefully by the end of the week though!
I was just wondering whether you think it would be an issue if a person from my school was applying to the same college as me (Hertford) to do PPE where I am applying to do E&M. Whilst not the same course, I think there is some overlap on the economics side of things. Thanks.
Original post by skylake
I was just wondering whether you think it would be an issue if a person from my school was applying to the same college as me (Hertford) to do PPE where I am applying to do E&M. Whilst not the same course, I think there is some overlap on the economics side of things. Thanks.

It's fine, even if you were applying for the same course it wouldn't be a problem (in the sense that it wouldn't affect your chances of getting in).
I guess if they gave out a few offers and you were one of those offer-holders, it'd feel pretty good! :lol:

When your's LNAT exam? :redface: Do you have in mind where you would firm/insure if you got all your offers?:biggrin:

I have STEP for Warwick, Bath and Bristol's 'alternative' offers! But they're next summer, so we'll see have to how prep for that goes :tongue:

Indeed you would feel good!

My LNAT is next Wednesday, the same day as my Law mock interview that has been organised by my school, so Wednesday is going to be a hectic day!

If by some miracle I got all 5 offers, I would put Oxford first, then Durham/Bristol, then Warwick, then LSE. I've visited all but LSE and liked all 4 of them, but LSE's course looks really interesting so if I get an offer I'll make an effort to go and look around.

Do you mean that STEP isn't compulsory, but would potentially get you a lower offer if you do well in it?
Original post by Lucilou101
This is the faculty's response to it -

About 10% of successful candidates are given places for deferred entry, and all colleges are willing to make such offers. Colleges are generally prepared to offer a deferred place to any candidate worthy of an undeferred place, but they usually do not offer more than one or two deferred places per subject, in order not to disadvantage the following year's candidates. Some applicants for deferred entry may either be offered an undeferred place or encouraged to apply again the following year. If a second college is willing to offer a deferred place to a candidate who wants one when the first-choice college offers only an undeferred place, the offer of a deferred place has precedence. But do bear in mind that it is crucial, if you are applying for a language-based course, to have a plan for how you will maintain your linguistic skills between leaving school and starting at university.

Very helpful but at what point does one declare one's intentions?

Latest

Trending

Trending