The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Are some Durham colleges easier to get into than others?

Surely, if they don't have a pooling system like Oxbridge?

If so, which colleges are harder to get into? Which colleges are easier to get into?
Reply 1
Original post by Big Blue Machine
Surely, if they don't have a pooling system like Oxbridge?

If so, which colleges are harder to get into? Which colleges are easier to get into?

You don't apply directly to a college, you apply to the department and if you get accepted into the department then you're forwarded onto the college allocation process, whereby a computer will try and allocate students into colleges such that the student's preference is kept in mind but there is a balance in the subjects students are taking within that college.

Basically there can only be so many students from a particular department at one college, just to keep it balanced. Colleges do not consider which students they would like (i.e. by reading their personal statement), it is done by a computer at random.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Dylann
You don't apply directly to a college, you apply to the department and if you get accepted into the department then you're forwarded onto the college allocation process, whereby a computer will try and allocate students into colleges such that the student's preference is kept in mind but there is a balance in the subjects students are taking within that college.

Basically there can only be so many students from a particular department at one college, just to keep it balanced. Colleges do not consider which students they would like (i.e. by reading their personal statement), it is done by a computer at random.

That seems like a good system! When do you express your preference? Is it when applying on UCAS with the campus code?
Reply 3
That seems like a good system! When do you express your preference? Is it when applying on UCAS with the campus code?

Yep on UCAS. I think there is a specific campus code for each college or something, I don't remember it being very difficult to select a college to apply to. Make sure you choose carefully, if you choose an undersubscribed college as your preference then you're likely to get it. If you apply before December I think normally you'll get offers in January, and college allocation is in February/March
Original post by Dylann
Yep on UCAS. I think there is a specific campus code for each college or something, I don't remember it being very difficult to select a college to apply to. Make sure you choose carefully, if you choose an undersubscribed college as your preference then you're likely to get it. If you apply before December I think normally you'll get offers in January, and college allocation is in February/March

If I apply to an oversubscribed college, does that affect admissions chances? Surely if they only deal with allocation after admissions it makes no difference ?
Reply 5
If I apply to an oversubscribed college, does that affect admissions chances? Surely if they only deal with allocation after admissions it makes no difference ?

Correct. It will have no affect at all on your application to the university itself - that is entirely a different process that happens before by the department.

It will however make it more likely that you'll be randomly allocated to a different college. There are a load of statistics you can view on the website and see which colleges are under and over subscribed, I recommend looking carefully at the under subscribed colleges as you'll be more likely to get into one of those if you put it as your preference :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylann
Correct. It will have no affect at all on your application to the university itself - that is entirely a different process that happens before by the department.

It will however make it more likely that you'll be randomly allocated to a different college. There are a load of statistics you can view on the website and see which colleges are under and over subscribed, I recommend looking carefully at the under subscribed colleges as you'll be more likely to get into one of those if you put it as your preference :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see. I really like Castle and Hatfield :smile:
Reply 7
I see. I really like Castle and Hatfield :smile:

Watch out if you apply to castle, as it is the most oversubscribed college and so you are most likely to be allocated to a different college when applying to this one. Also first years rarely live in the castle and if they do they share.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iano101
Watch out if you apply to castle, as it is the most oversubscribed college and so you are most likely to be allocated to a different college when applying to this one. Also first years rarely live in the castle and if they do they share.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying to Hatfield :smile:
Reply 9
I'm applying to Hatfield :smile:

I'd like to say good choice but it's Hatfield 😜

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
where can you find out which colleges are over or under subscribed? I am thinking of Cuthberts (Parson's Field) or Bulter. Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by 90780
where can you find out which colleges are over or under subscribed? I am thinking of Cuthberts (Parson's Field) or Bulter. Thanks

https://www.dur.ac.uk/ug.admissions/admindocuments/admissions2013-14/

Look at the college statistics, can't remember which actual ones show it but you can see roughly which colleges are under or over subscribed. It's important to note that some colleges are big (like Mildert) while others are relatively small (like Chads)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iano101
I'd like to say good choice but it's Hatfield 😜

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's the only college apart from university I liked the look of... It's on the Bailey, beautiful and old.

Quick Reply

Latest