The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University 2023 Applicants

This is the thread for Durham University 2023 applicants to ask questions, share experiences and find out everything you need to know about Durham, the University and making your application.

Follow @thedurhamstudent on Instagram, TikTok and YouTube for an insight into what it's really like to be a Durham student.

Edit
Entry Form: https://forms.gle/eGQpPtn51f87pPR69
Offer Tracker Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VKmLK1U8EKTt10aAEn9l3pXemc1Zu5tmtUdOpkZiydA/edit#gid=555965637
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone, I'm a student at Durham uni and I'll be going in 2nd year next October. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask here and I'll try to help!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Durham University
This is the thread for Durham University 2023 applicants to ask questions, share experiences and find out everything you need to know about Durham, the University and making your application.

Follow @thedurhamstudent on Instagram, TikTok and YouTube for an insight into what it's really like to be a Durham student.

Hi thanks both, I just have a question about the application process.

Durham seems to send out applicant offers relatively late in the year vs other universities. Is this standard procedure or does it vary by subject. I wondered if Durham makes offers throughout the Oct-May period or do they typically wait until April/May to respond? Thanks so much for your help
Original post by Jacs2022

Durham seems to send out applicant offers relatively late in the year vs other universities. Is this standard procedure or does it vary by subject. I wondered if Durham makes offers throughout the Oct-May period or do they typically wait until April/May to respond? Thanks so much for your help

Hi, I think it depends on many factors. If the course you are applying to is competitive, if you have a good application (by this I mean if your personal statement is 100% in line with what they are looking for) and many other reasons. Having said this I'm an international students and Durham was my first offer and it took them around a month to get back to me, but I also know people, mostly home students, that got their offer really late in the admissions cycle and other home students that got it really quickly. So to answer your question, yes they do make offers during the admissions cycle even if I think most offers are made after the equal consideration deadline
Original post by Jacs2022

Hiya

As XanaXoid said, it can vary. Durham was my first offer too and I received it just a day after I applied for law. Law is definitely a competitive course at Durham but I was still accepted based on my personal statement, predicted grades and LNAT scores. A lot of other people I know received their offers later on, throughout the October-May period. So again, it really depends on how strong of an application you make :smile:

-Himieka
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

As XanaXoid said, it can vary. Durham was my first offer too and I received it just a day after I applied for law. Law is definitely a competitive course at Durham but I was still accepted based on my personal statement, predicted grades and LNAT scores. A lot of other people I know received their offers later on, throughout the October-May period. So again, it really depends on how strong of an application you make :smile:

-Himieka

Thanks, v helpful to manage my expectations!!! 🤞
hey, does anyone know what the selection process is for durham natural sciences? I do a levels bio, chem, maths, physics and am predicted A*A*A*A*. Do they read personal statements and use these to give out interviews or are interviews and offers given out based on predicted grades alone?
Original post by bonaka4167
hey, does anyone know what the selection process is for durham natural sciences? I do a levels bio, chem, maths, physics and am predicted A*A*A*A*. Do they read personal statements and use these to give out interviews or are interviews and offers given out based on predicted grades alone?

Hiya

There are no interviews involved in the process. All elements of the application i.e., predicted A-level grades based on which specific subjects you want to study, references and personal statement will be considered in offering a conditional place. Your predicted grades are top notch so you don't have to worry about that for now. Personal statement is then the most important factor for you and you can read some guidance on that here. You can also find some Nat Sci FAQs here :smile:

-Himieka
(edited 1 year ago)
Hiya

There are no interviews involved in the process. All elements of the application i.e., predicted A-level grades based on which specific subjects you want to study, references and personal statement will be considered in offering a conditional place. Your predicted grades are top notch so you don't have to worry about that for now. Personal statement is then the most important factor for you and you can read some guidance on that here. You can also find some Nat Sci FAQs here :smile:

-Himieka

thank you!
Hiya

-Himieka

I'm actually applying for medicine for 4 of my options so my school reference will be tailored to medicine. I emailed them and they said I could submit another personal statement but what should i do about my reference? will it make me unlikely to receive an offer or disadvantage me?
Original post by bonaka4167
I'm actually applying for medicine for 4 of my options so my school reference will be tailored to medicine. I emailed them and they said I could submit another personal statement but what should i do about my reference? will it make me unlikely to receive an offer or disadvantage me?

Hiya

I'm not too sure about this but I think your referee is going to talk about your performance in sixth form generally and your A-level subjects specifically and those will be useful irrespective of which course you're applying for. Ask them to include specific examples of how you've done well in your subjects or in projects you've undertaken. Your school must've come across this situation before so they might know a way out but do let me know if you're still unsure about it after talking to them.

I know this was super unhelpful lol but I've never been in this situation before or advised anyone on it, so am the worst person to ask :redface:

-Himieka
Original post by thirza
Hi there! I'm applying for BA Geography at Durham via UCAS, and I'm unsure whether to select the Durham City or College allocation pending options regarding the location? If I have a college in mind should I select allocation pending or is Durham City the main campus?Thanks!

I think is the same, once you get the offer or later (depending if Durham uses last years system or not) you will be asked to rank the colleges in your preference order so it should be actually the same
Original post by XanaXoid
I think is the same, once you get the offer or later (depending if Durham uses last years system or not) you will be asked to rank the colleges in your preference order so it should be actually the same

That's what I thought - thank you! In terms of the UCAS application, should I select Durham City or College allocation pending?
Original post by thirza
That's what I thought - thank you! In terms of the UCAS application, should I select Durham City or College allocation pending?

I'm not sure, and I'm not even sure it changes anything. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful but when I applied I had to select a college so I'm not sure about this new method. You might want to ask them here (there should be the live chat in the bottom right corner)
(edited 1 year ago)
I’ve sent an email to the uni about this - I’m confused as to why they have the two options if they’re going to mean the same thing on the application.

Original post by thirza
Original post by thirza
Hi there! I'm applying for BA Geography at Durham via UCAS, and I'm unsure whether to select the Durham City or College allocation pending options regarding the location? If I have a college in mind should I select allocation pending or is Durham City the main campus?Thanks!

Hiya

I don't think it would matter if you select either one- offer holders ultimately get sent a college preference form later on so you can rank colleges in order of your preference. I'd just choose college allocation pending because it's nevertheless correct but if you still wanna confirm this with someone in admissions, you can follow the live chat link shared by XanaXoid :smile:

-Himieka
Hello :smile:

I'm a U.S student trying to navigate through the UCAS system (which is quite confusing as an international student!), but I'm excited to finally submit my application for Philo/Theo and (fingers crossed) gain entry to my dream school.

I was curious if anyone has any advice on the "education" portion of the application, and specifically whether it's necessary for U.S students to enter every class they've taken + current APs as separate qualifications?

Good luck to everyone.
Just a heads up to all 2023 Durham applicants. Before you put your eggs in the Durham basket you might want to look at this year(2022) student thread and parents of Durham University students’22 thread- it might change your mind!!!
Original post by Anonymous
Just a heads up to all 2023 Durham applicants. Before you put your eggs in the Durham basket you might want to look at this year(2022) student thread and parents of Durham University students’22 thread- it might change your mind!!!

How come?
Original post by H4ttie03
How come?

2022 students, who start Freshers week 26/9 still have no enrolment, no college allocation and no communication from Durham- It is absolutely appalling

Quick Reply

Latest