The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Probably this is annoying - but I feel like my chances of getting in are below zero. I am mean yeah, they probably arent but I went through that spreadsheet and now I am just completly blown away.
Original post by tehtarik
Honestly, just be shameless and try your best! I'm 14 years old, international, and trying for medicine ://

Really? Are you even allowed to try for medicine when you're 14? I say this because I have a friend who's 16 and trying for medicine and she's not allowed to apply to a lot of unis, simply because they require applicants to be 17 or 18 at the time applicant. Which makes sense I guess, because you can't exactly have underage doctors :lol:
Oxford's the only uni I'm applying to because of this! :s-smilie:

Aww, good luck to you then! :smile:
Oxford's the only uni I'm applying to because of this! :s-smilie:

Ah right xD well all the best to you with your application :h:
Honestly, just be shameless and try your best! I'm 14 years old, international, and trying for medicine ://

You go girl/boy! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
I wanted to ask if it makes a difference which college I apply to, in terms of competition. I am torn between St Hildas and Johns for medicine, would it be more competitive to apply to Johns, or does it not make a difference.
Original post by TreeTaps
Hi,
I wanted to ask if it makes a difference which college I apply to, in terms of competition. I am torn between St Hildas and Johns for medicine, would it be more competitive to apply to Johns, or does it not make a difference.

No difference
Original post by georgiaf
It is central but not right on the high street...I haven't actually been there but have been won over by the recommendation of a friend: also the professors' interests match my own!

Really? Where else have you applied...I'm curious now! I have gone for Durham, York, Edinburgh, Exeter. :smile:

That's good haha :smile:
Bristol, Warwick, UCL and Exeter (English with Study in North America)
I think warwick and Exeter department are notorious for late offers but I might be really wrong here haha

Are you sure this is a good idea? Even if you actually somehow managed to get a place, I really do not think that University is a particularly appropriate place for a 14 (or 15) year old... It's not just about being academically mature, you've got to have the emotional maturity to cope with university life and that's going to be very difficult if you're 14/15 and therefore years younger than everybody else and an international student.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm born late in the year. By the time the second term starts, I'll be 16. I've pretty much been on and off surrounded by older students, and I'm capable of living alone, thankfully, although my cooking skills are pathetic :frown: Although I initially planned to apply for 2017 entry, a slight change in personal situation has prompted me to give 2016 a shot! And even though my chances are slim, as you said, I'm willing to take this year to just get a feel for the application process and education system, since I'm entirely unfamiliar with it, hailing from abroad.

Do you mean second year? b/c second term = Hilary Term = January 2016, and no matter where your birthday falls I don't see how you can be 14 now & 16 by January
Original post by DCDude
Do you mean second year? b/c second term = Hilary Term = January 2016, and no matter where your birthday falls I don't see how you can be 14 now & 16 by January

If they're applying now, then they're applying for entry in October 2016 so second term would start in January 2017?
Original post by Plagioclase
If they're applying now, then they're applying for entry in October 2016 so second term would start in January 2017?

When do clinical visits start at Oxford. OP would have to be 18+ for that surely?

I note Oxford says: "Matters of clinical relevance are illustrated from the outset. There are clinical demonstrations in hospitals, and students make regular visits to GP tutors."

And Cambridge specifically says: "Students under the age of 18 cannot undertake any clinical elements of the Medicine course, which start in the second term of first year at the latest. Therefore, students must have reached the age of 18 by the start of the second term of Year 1 to be eligible to apply for Medicine."
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
When do clinical visits start at Oxford. OP would have to be 18+ for that surely?

I have absolutely no idea, I don't think they should be applying to University (not least Medicine!) at that age in the first place...
Original post by Plagioclase
I have absolutely no idea, I don't think they should be applying to University (not least Medicine!) at that age in the first place...

Saw a guy on LinkedIn who did engineering at Southampton; started at the age of 14. He went on to get a Masters from LSE and is now starting as an investment banking analyst at 18 years old - a position most people would land at the traditional end of uni age of 21-23. So, depends on the person really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all,

Oxford general website states, "Oxford University welcomes applications from students regardless of their age. Although there is no formal minimum age requirement, potential candidates for all courses will be expected to demonstrate a mature approach to the study of their subject, including skills of critical analysis, wide contextual knowledge and the ability to manage their own time effectively without the external imposition of a full daily timetable."

Oxford medical states, "The University does not set any age requirements, but applicants for all undergraduate courses will be expected to demonstrate a mature approach to the study of their subject which includes demonstrable skills of critical analysis, wide contextual knowledge and the ability to manage their own time without the external imposition of a full daily timetable.
Different people mature at different rates in their youth, so calendar age does not necessarily define degree of maturity. There are clearly-stated selection criteria for admission to study Medicine at Oxford which you may wish in look at in this respect. Certain of these selection criteria might perhaps be less easily fulfilled by a young applicant than by an older one. A applicant who may be concerned about their capabilities in these respects should seek the advice of their family and school support staff to gauge whether an application at an earlier stage than would be typical is appropriate."
Hi all,

Oxford general website states, "Oxford University welcomes applications from students regardless of their age. Although there is no formal minimum age requirement, potential candidates for all courses will be expected to demonstrate a mature approach to the study of their subject, including skills of critical analysis, wide contextual knowledge and the ability to manage their own time effectively without the external imposition of a full daily timetable."

Oxford medical states, "The University does not set any age requirements, but applicants for all undergraduate courses will be expected to demonstrate a mature approach to the study of their subject which includes demonstrable skills of critical analysis, wide contextual knowledge and the ability to manage their own time without the external imposition of a full daily timetable.
Different people mature at different rates in their youth, so calendar age does not necessarily define degree of maturity. There are clearly-stated selection criteria for admission to study Medicine at Oxford which you may wish in look at in this respect. Certain of these selection criteria might perhaps be less easily fulfilled by a young applicant than by an older one. A applicant who may be concerned about their capabilities in these respects should seek the advice of their family and school support staff to gauge whether an application at an earlier stage than would be typical is appropriate."

As I said, Cambridge requires you to be 18. Which seems emminently sensible. I wouldn't get your hopes up that Oxford will be significantly different.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
As I said, Cambridge requires you to be 18. Which seems emminently sensible. I wouldn't get your hopes up that Oxford will be significantly different.

Perhaps. I do have my reasons for applying early though, so we'll just have to see. If I'm not invited to interview, I'll ask for feedback and see how my age affected my application. Will update you guys on the results.

For now, should focus on studying for exams/BMAT! And to postpone my exam which clashes with BMAT... From past year papers, I'm estimating perhaps double 8.2s (section A might go a little higher and section B might dip to the 7s if I'm nervous), though I may be underestimating the effect of exam anxiety, and have no way to tell how my essay scores will look (hoping for a 3/4A)!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Saw a guy on LinkedIn who did engineering at Southampton; started at the age of 14. He went on to get a Masters from LSE and is now starting as an investment banking analyst at 18 years old - a position most people would land at the traditional end of uni age of 21-23. So, depends on the person really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's quite a big difference between something like Engineering, which is heavily Maths-based and you can get by pretty well just staying by yourself, and something like Medicine where there is a lot of human interaction involved so emotional maturity is vital. And just because that guy didn't have problems academically in university doesn't mean that it was necessarily a good idea from a social perspective, because without a doubt he would have had problems adapting to university life and getting on with people in his course. I mean imagine you're an undergraduate and there's a 14 year old in your classes - I know that I'd feel uncomfortable about that, and I'm not even doing something like Medicine.
Just sent off my UCAS for BA Oriental Studies. Do you get some sort of confirmation email from Oxford (St John's) and how do I send in my essays?
Original post by LevCrofts
Just sent off my UCAS for BA Oriental Studies. Do you get some sort of confirmation email from Oxford (St John's) and how do I send in my essays?

I don't know about anyone else but I sent off my application three days ago and haven't received a confirmation mail!

Latest

Trending

Trending