The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2940
Original post by georgiaf
Hey - I am sitting the ELAT too. I know what you mean the question is so open-ended it's hard to know what to do! I think the main thing is to show skills of close reading, so I guess it could be a good idea to zero in on a small part of the extract. I think because the essay is comparative everyone ends up jumping around the extracts anyway, but I would advise covering the texts you choose comprehensively - just in case! :smile:

Thanks for the reply!! It's a it tough because I'm used to writing Lang/lit essays (I'm on the combined course) and I don't think any of the teachers at my school have helped someone with the ELAT before 😨 Do you think you're going to make points by theme or by language/structure/syntax sort of thing?
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Hello gents. Is anybody applying to law or languages, or law with legal studies in Europe?

HELLO?
You're in the wrong thread! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
HELLO?
You're in the wrong thread! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't forget Cobalt, I'm applying next year.

Just gathering information about the enemy.
Original post by ¿Why?
Thanks for the reply!! It's a it tough because I'm used to writing Lang/lit essays (I'm on the combined course) and I don't think any of the teachers at my school have helped someone with the ELAT before 😨 Do you think you're going to make points by theme or by language/structure/syntax sort of thing?

Haha np! Same here I'm on my own! I looked at the marking criteria and they want to see your argument coming through, most of all. So what I'm doing is loosely basing each paragraph on the language/structure/syntax but not explicitly stating that. Instead I spend ages on my intro, so that I have different avenues to explore during each paragraph. I found it's easier than just comparing the texts according to lang etc. Good luck!
Reply 2944
Original post by georgiaf
Haha np! Same here I'm on my own! I looked at the marking criteria and they want to see your argument coming through, most of all. So what I'm doing is loosely basing each paragraph on the language/structure/syntax but not explicitly stating that. Instead I spend ages on my intro, so that I have different avenues to explore during each paragraph. I found it's easier than just comparing the texts according to lang etc. Good luck!

Thanks again! I think a lot of my practice will be essay planning and getting together a good thesis after looking at different points from the different extracts. I want it to go well so badly! Best of luck to you, sure we'll both be fine ☺️ Which college are you applying to, out of interest?
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Don't forget Cobalt, I'm applying next year.

Just gathering information about the enemy.

Clever :wink:
Original post by ¿Why?
Thanks again! I think a lot of my practice will be essay planning and getting together a good thesis after looking at different points from the different extracts. I want it to go well so badly! Best of luck to you, sure we'll both be fine ☺️ Which college are you applying to, out of interest?

It's a pleasure :smile: Same here bc I get so nervous for the interview, it would be such a comfort to know the ELAT was good!! I'm going for Somerville, tho I've never actually been there haha. You?
I am applying for Classics this year at Christ's Church :smile:
Original post by Phoebus Apollo
I am applying for Classics this year at Christ's Church :smile:

I'm applying for Classics too, but at Corpus Christi! Who knows, we might actually end up as neighbours :wink:
Original post by vildeung
Hi guys,
I want to get ahed in chemistry, in order to prepare for the biochem interview. Thus I'm wondering whether or not to prioritise studying electrochemistry?

Thanks

It is all but impossible to prepare for the interview, as they purposely try to find questions on material that has *not* been covered by your syllabus. The idea is not to see how much you know - they get that from test scores- but to see how you learn, how you bring what you do know to a problem you don't know and how the tutorial format suits you.
Original post by mazzaion
Brasenose was my second choice after visiting on the open days :smile: I didn't like the others so much... Let me know which one you pick!

Nice! Which college is your first choice?
I picked Brasenose in the end :wink:
Hello Everyone.. i am to sit my ELAT exam this year in November. I am completely lost how to prepare and to structure the paragraph. Any suggestions and advices are heartily welcomed.Please help!.
Original post by vildeung
Hi guys,
I want to get ahed in chemistry, in order to prepare for the biochem interview. Thus I'm wondering whether or not to prioritise studying electrochemistry?

Thanks

Topics for interview in biochemistry vary wildly from interview to interview and college to college. Personally, my interviews were based on basic maths, viruses, cancer, reaction kinetics and spectroscopy. Whereas a friend of mine had an organic chemistry synthesis based interview.

The best advice would be to make sure that you revise everything that you've learnt in Chemistry and Biology A-Levels to date, and perhaps look forward a bit to see what else is coming up. Try and cover everything at least a little bit, and then perhaps focus on some of the things you find most interesting if you wish to. Make sure you know or can recognise DNA bases, nucleotides, amino acids etc. and have read a bit outside your course too. If they ask, the tutors will want to see that you are passionate about studying biochemistry, particularly because it isn't something you specifically focus on during A-Levels. More than anything, remember in the interview to not be afraid to admit that you don't know the answer to something or you haven't been taught it yet. BUT! (and this is a big but)... make sure that you follow this up with attempting to use the knowledge that you have to work out the answer to their questions. In a sense, interviews are much like tutorials and the tutors would like to see how you respond to that type of environment.
(edited 8 years ago)
HEY...Isnt there anyone who can help me with my ELAT!!???:frown::frown:
Any internationals who've already taken their English qualifications?
Original post by DanieleZ

me :smile:
Hello transatlantic friends! I'm an American who just sent off her application for History and French at Christ Church. Oxford is very accommodating to American applicants; I didn't have to take any extra tests, only send in my scores from the AP exams (similar to A-levels, but slightly less difficult, from what I understand) and the ACT (general knowledge test). Don't suppose there are any people on here also applying to American universities?

Not yet... I am from India.. Hey I was just wondering if you could advice me for the ELAT preparation. Didn't get any reply or suggestions from anyone else.. :frown:
Does anyone know how important the LNAT is for Oxford? Like is there a benchmark that ku have to get?

Me too.
Did the CAE and scored 209/210

Latest

Trending

Trending