The Student Room Group

Rich offspring - arrogant

I attend a university in Southern England, and as you can imagine there are a lot of (not majority) students here who come from a wealthy background.

There is definitely a small minority of these students who think that the world owes them everything. They have absolutely no manners; I have lost count of the number of times I've been walked into by one of these people or when they have walked into the store and skipped the line. They don't seem to have any sort of respect for normal people AT ALL.

Yes, their parents are wealthy but they are NOTHING, they don't have any valuable skills or a career. I don't understand why these kids think that they are the 'bees nees' so to speak, they do not have any extra skills that other people wouldn't have so why do they think that they deserve to be treated like royalty?

Coming from Northern Ireland, I haven't really had any dealings with people from a wealthy background but I must admit that I didn't expect these kids to act so entitled. I assumed that their parents money would've given them experiences that would've mellowed them out. I guess not.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Take no notice of them, honestly. Thier daddy's credit card isn't going to last them forever.

EDIT: I live in Southern England, so I deal with these kinds of people every day.
I always leave the room and try to avoid them. They annoy me. There was this one who thought he was better than everyone else because of all the rich kid stuff he'd done lol. Kept going on about it all the time when ever someone mentioned anything about themselves trying to make it into a competiton. And 'My dad's better than yours.' Like bruh are you 5?

I have one rich friend from South Africa who's really nice though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
As I said in my starting post, they are nothing! Once they are out in the world of work without their parents support, they will not be able to sustain to their current lifestyle.

To be honest, I don't even care how much money they have. It's the fact that they think that they are entitled to walk over the top of people just because they've got money.
Reply 4
Original post by Frostyjoe
I attend a university in Southern England, and as you can imagine there are a lot of (not majority) students here who come from a wealthy background.

There is definitely a small minority of these students who think that the world owes them everything. They have absolutely no manners; I have lost count of the number of times I've been walked into by one of these people or when they have walked into the store and skipped the line. They don't seem to have any sort of respect for normal people AT ALL.

Yes, their parents are wealthy but they are NOTHING, they don't have any valuable skills or a career. I don't understand why these kids think that they are the 'bees nees' so to speak, they do not have any extra skills that other people wouldn't have so why do they think that they deserve to be treated like royalty?

Coming from Northern Ireland, I haven't really had any dealings with people from a wealthy background but I must admit that I didn't expect these kids to act so entitled. I assumed that their parents money would've given them experiences that would've mellowed them out. I guess not.

Also coming from NI and while I am in Scotland, yeah, there is some rich kids here at uni who I just don't want to give the time of day really.
As you said, "small minority"

There's a small minority within EVERY group of people are that are stuck up brats, whether they're rich/poor, whichever race, whichever height, whichever weight. It's really not a big deal, deal with it the same way you deal with anyone else like that
Reply 6
Alex that hasn't been my experience. These people are a different kind of 'stuck up'. Normal people don't act like the world owes them something.
I really don't understand why Southern England is associated with being rich and Northern England is with being poor. You get really affluent parts of Manchester, it just seems too mixed to make such broad judgements.
Reply 8
Original post by Airmed
Also coming from NI and while I am in Scotland, yeah, there is some rich kids here at uni who I just don't want to give the time of day really.

Oh I don't give them the time of the day either. It just aggravates me when they skip the queue or barge in front of me when I'm walking on the footpath, basically as if I'm a piece of dirt.

Ironically they don't know if I'm poor or rich so they're being incredibly immature by placing a judgement on someone they don't know. How do they know I'm not richer than them?
So what if they don't have skills or a career? Why do you obtain skills and a career? FOR MONEY

Jelly brah, haters gona hate.
Reply 10
I'm not jealous at all, I actually live a pretty comfortable life. I'm just annoyed at these students who think they're entitled to be treated like royalty.
As I said in my starting post, they are nothing! Once they are out in the world of work without their parents support, they will not be able to sustain to their current lifestyle.

To be honest, I don't even care how much money they have. It's the fact that they think that they are entitled to walk over the top of people just because they've got money.

Ye they lack empathy because their life is so easy. They can't relate to normal people or people who've had to struggle lmao. The only reason my South African friend and I get along really well is because we both have ADD and he also sees a lot of poverty in his country and isn't a dick about it lol.

Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
I really don't understand why Southern England is associated with being rich and Northern England is with being poor. You get really affluent parts of Manchester, it just seems too mixed to make such broad judgements.
Have you walked around Kensington? And have you also walked around Bristol? lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Alex that hasn't been my experience. These people are a different kind of 'stuck up'. Normal people don't act like the world owes them something.

A small minority of "normal" people do, that's my entire point. How much money a person is born into isn't always a defining trait of who they are as people, some people are just douche(tte)s regardless of their upbringing

It's always horrible if people act rudely or inconsiderately. Not sure though that this directly relates to their parents incomes or wealth. I mean, people can be rude and badly behaved from lots of reasons - for example, their parents or schooling did not emphasise manners? Or they lack much experience of social relations generally?

I see this in London all the time - for example, walking in the streets or going into public places, some people (obviously rich or obviously not rich) are really nice and polite, others are rude, self-centred and indifferent. It's just people really.
Original post by ChickenMadness

Have you walked around Kensington? And have you also walked around Bristol? lol.

Yes and No.

Kensington specifically is a wealthy part of London and even then not everyone living there lives in an amazing 5 story townhouse, but if you go to parts like Tower Hamlets, Barking and Southwark it's disgusting and whilst Bristol is known for being deprived you will still get millionaires living there.

I do agree that people who think having wealthy parents is a credential to be proud of are jackasses, but people who think that the part of the country they live in actually defines how wealthy they are usually lower-middle class wannabees like that blue collar Tory girl on Question Time.
Reply 15
Really? I've never known someone to define their class via where they live. I'm pretty sure class is defined by you're household income.
Yes and No.

Kensington specifically is a wealthy part of London and even then not everyone living there lives in an amazing 5 story townhouse, but if you go to parts like Tower Hamlets, Barking and Southwark it's disgusting and whilst Bristol is known for being deprived you will still get millionaires living there.

I do agree that people who think having wealthy parents is a credential to be proud of are jackasses, but people who think that the part of the country they live in actually defines how wealthy they are usually lower-middle class wannabees like that blue collar Tory girl on Question Time.

ye my sister is one of those wannabes and lives in Kensington working for some law firm in London. Always goes on about how she feels poor because of how expensively dressed everyone walking around there is rofl.

Would hate to be living that lifestyle.

Really? I've never known someone to define their class via where they live. I'm pretty sure class is defined by you're household income.
Dude all of the wealth of our country is in London. He's not saying everyone there is rich. Just there is a higher concentration of wealth there.

edit: Oh you're the OP. lol nvm. Didn't realise you're being sarcastic and were the OP rofl.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes and No.

Yeah, Kensington, at least in terms of street life, is actually much more mixed than some suburban posh places because it's cosmopolitan and because of all that goes on there. If you go out to Richmond or Esher or nice parts of Berkshire you will get far more uniform upmarket people than in Ken. I don't know Bristol well, but Clifton is very posh and has a 'London' feel to it. I live in Tower Hamlets and it's more mixed than you think (it depends on the precise part) and I don't think the word 'disgusting' is very nice about it, the people do their best and there are a lot of good people struggling to do well here as well as some nastiness.

Thinking you are really something because you were brought up in a wealthy home is one of those things that I think most people from that background go through at times but tend to grow out of or adopt a more reasoned approach to. You can't go around your whole life with a superior attitude and have an enjoyable life, although some people manage to at least try to keep it up. :teehee:
Reply 18
From experience the most stuck up 'rich' are usually the new rich or the people who are only just passing as rich.
Original post by ChickenMadness
ye my sister is one of those wannabes and lives in Kensington working for some law firm in London. Always goes on about how she feels poor because of how expensively dressed everyone walking around there is rofl.

Would hate to be living that lifestyle.

I always think there becomes a point where people almost choose whether or not they take it seriously, if you went to Argos and bought a watch for £10 or better still, found one and put it on, nobody would have the balls to call you out for it.

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yeah, Kensington, at least in terms of street life, is actually much more mixed than some suburban posh places because it's cosmopolitan and because of all that goes on there. If you go out to Richmond or Esher or nice parts of Berkshire you will get far more uniform upmarket people than in Ken. I don't know Bristol well, but Clifton is very posh and has a 'London' feel to it. I live in Tower Hamlets and it's more mixed than you think (it depends on the precise part) and I don't think the word 'disgusting' is very nice about it, the people do their best and there are a lot of good people struggling to do well here as well as some nastiness.Thinking you are really something because you were brought up in a wealthy home is one of those things that I think most people from that background go through at times but tend to grow out of or adopt a more reasoned approach to. You can't go around your whole life with a superior attitude and have an enjoyable life, although some people manage to at least try to keep it up. :teehee:

I don't actually think it's disgusting, sometimes cultural places are more fun than bland places, like Bengali restaurants in Tower Hamlets, I would enjoy that more than generic upmarket things.

The other thing you said is true, there are some very tiny places outside London where pretty much everyone is rich like Gerard's Cross, but generally your postcode says very little about how wealthy you are. Along the road I live, there are both multi-millionaires and social housing, it's just whatever.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest