The Student Room Group

Which moduales are in maths

I want to know which topic or modules are in AS level maths and AS level further maths for edexcel, eg core 1 and M1.
Also could some one give me the links to buy the exam board endorsed book for C1 and the other modules or the ISBN (that code that is inside them) for them
Original post by heloooo0ooo
I want to know which topic or modules are in AS level maths and AS level further maths for edexcel, eg core 1 and M1.
Also could some one give me the links to buy the exam board endorsed book for C1 and the other modules or the ISBN (that code that is inside them) for them

C1 and C2 are compulsory for AS-level Maths and FP1 for Further Maths. The 3 other modules (1 for Maths, 2 for FM) must be applied (D#, M# or S#) where S is a number and you can't do a '2' module without '1' in the same module type, eg S2 can't be done without S1.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Level-Modular-Mathematics/dp/0435519107

These are what the books look like. Different module types have a different colour scheme but otherwise the same.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
C1 and C2 are compulsory for AS-level Maths and FP1 for Further Maths. The 3 other modules (1 for Maths, 2 for FM) must be applied (D#, M# or S#) where S is a number and you can't do a '2' module without '1' in the same module type, eg S2 can't be done without S1.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Level-Modular-Mathematics/dp/0435519107

These are what the books look like. Different module types have a different colour scheme but otherwise the same.

Where you put "where S is a number" did you mean where # is a number
and because I'm doing Further maths do I have to do all three modules (S M and D) or can the 2 for FM overlap with the one e.g I do mechanics so could I just do mechanics and decision maths. and how many module are there for M S and D for AS level because you said there was C1 and C2 for core at AS level and you mentioned S1 and S2
Original post by heloooo0ooo
Where you put "where S is a number" did you mean where # is a number
and because I'm doing Further maths do I have to do all three modules (S M and D) or can the 2 for FM overlap with the one e.g I do mechanics so could I just do mechanics and decision maths. and how many module are there for M S and D for AS level because you said there was C1 and C2 for core at AS level and you mentioned S1 and S2

Yes, that is what I meant, sorry. I was half asleep (literally!).

I'm not sure what you mean by the overlap bit - could you clarify it a bit more please? :colondollar:

S goes up to 4, M goes up to 5 and D goes up to 2.

And Edexcel arranges your applied modules at the end so that you get the best possible grades for Maths and Further Maths, so you don't really need to worry about what goes where as long as you follow the rules (no 2's without 1's in normal Maths, but you don't really need to worry about that for AS, only A2).

You don't have to do all 3 types of modules, it just means you have to do the more difficult stuff in the branch that you like. Eg you could do M1 M2 M3 this year, or M1 S1 D1, D1 S1 S2 etc.

I would suggest doing M1 S1 and D1 and see where that gets you, and if you're doing either Maths or FM to A2 as well you can figure out which one you liked the most.
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, that is what I meant, sorry. I was half asleep (literally!).

I'm not sure what you mean by the overlap bit - could you clarify it a bit more please? :colondollar:

S goes up to 4, M goes up to 5 and D goes up to 2.

And Edexcel arranges your applied modules at the end so that you get the best possible grades for Maths and Further Maths, so you don't really need to worry about what goes where as long as you follow the rules (no 2's without 1's in normal Maths, but you don't really need to worry about that for AS, only A2).

You don't have to do all 3 types of modules, it just means you have to do the more difficult stuff in the branch that you like. Eg you could do M1 M2 M3 this year, or M1 S1 D1, D1 S1 S2 etc.

I would suggest doing M1 S1 and D1 and see where that gets you, and if you're doing either Maths or FM to A2 as well you can figure out which one you liked the most.

ok thanks
btw you answered the overlap bit in your answer anyway

Quick Reply

Latest