The Student Room Group

Retaking year 12

So I want to study economics at university, however I don't do a level maths. I never realised that it was a problem until looking at university entry requirements, majority of them in which want an A in A level maths. I currently study in year 12 Economics, politics and psychology. So I have been thinking to retake year 12 preferably to do A level economics, maths and politics. For anybody who is currently doing an extra year in sixth form, how was your experience and for anyone doing A level maths, how do you find that subject?
I have just been extremely stressed about it over the past month or two and I just need to see other peoples experiences on retaking.
(edited 11 months ago)
Hi! I’m currently in year 12, so unfortunately have no advice on retaking, but I do a level maths currently. Personally, I am enjoying maths for the most part! I honestly prefer it to GCSE maths, purely because I find that there are less waffly questions and it is (mostly) just straight maths. I would suggest looking at the textbook online or past papers though, just to see the content/question style, as maths is definitely not an easy a level (but none of them are really!) which is why sixth forms normally need you to have achieved a 7 at GCSE. If you are thinking of applying to a top uni, it might be useful to also take up further maths (this is not a necessity at all, but it would definitely strengthen your application as econ is very competitive). A level maths also has stats and mechanics which has wider links (mechanics is very physics like, and some parts of stats link to psych research methods like sampling). So overall I would say maths is a very good subject, and you will be able to do well if you practice consistently!! You will have to start working from the start of the course and continuously practice throughout the year. Hope everything works out for you :smile: you’ve got this!

Also consider whether you would actually enjoy maths/would be able to do well, as eventhough it is a requirement for straight econ, some similar degrees will not require maths (eg some joint degrees). Econ itself at degree level is highly quantitative (which is why a lot of people take further maths), so also consider if that is something you would be happy with!
Reply 2
Original post by bamsa
Hi! I’m currently in year 12, so unfortunately have no advice on retaking, but I do a level maths currently. Personally, I am enjoying maths for the most part! I honestly prefer it to GCSE maths, purely because I find that there are less waffly questions and it is (mostly) just straight maths. I would suggest looking at the textbook online or past papers though, just to see the content/question style, as maths is definitely not an easy a level (but none of them are really!) which is why sixth forms normally need you to have achieved a 7 at GCSE. If you are thinking of applying to a top uni, it might be useful to also take up further maths (this is not a necessity at all, but it would definitely strengthen your application as econ is very competitive). A level maths also has stats and mechanics which has wider links (mechanics is very physics like, and some parts of stats link to psych research methods like sampling). So overall I would say maths is a very good subject, and you will be able to do well if you practice consistently!! You will have to start working from the start of the course and continuously practice throughout the year. Hope everything works out for you :smile: you’ve got this!

Also consider whether you would actually enjoy maths/would be able to do well, as eventhough it is a requirement for straight econ, some similar degrees will not require maths (eg some joint degrees). Econ itself at degree level is highly quantitative (which is why a lot of people take further maths), so also consider if that is something you would be happy with!

It’s just that I have got a 6 in gcse maths and I also done further maths gcse and got a 5 so I am really worried as to whether I can actually get in a level maths.

Quick Reply

Latest