The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

How come OU starts on Saturday 7th October?

I know that some courses and modules might start at different dates but according to my English Lit and Creative Writing course website it says it'll start on a Saturday and I just wondered if that was really the case. My dad said that it can't be accurate but I think that if it says Saturday on the website then it must be accurate. I'm only asking on here because I don't want to come off as annoying in the modual forum and since I'm the youngest person in my course (or at least it seems that way) I don't want to annoy anyone by asking silly questions so if anyone can answer me here that'd be great.
Their weeks start on a Saturday. Why does it even matter though?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
The exact start date isn't quite as critical for the OU as it is for brick unis... it's not like you need to book accommodation or anything! :smile: In my experience the module websites and materials tend to open up a week or longer before the official start date, so some students will get a head start while others will get started a bit later.

If I had to guess, setting a Saturday as the official start date is probably designed to accommodate people with full-time jobs- basically trying to maximise the number of students who'll be able to attend intro tutorials and such.

Quick Reply

Latest