The Student Room Group

Which A levels lead to the best jobs?

Which A levels, and subsequently degrees, will lead to the best paid professions in general?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
had a school assembly about a-levels and was told maths was the most valuable a-level in terms of average wage of people with it.
i think people with maths a-level earn on average 10% more than others without or something
Reply 2
A level maths

but it also depends what degree, A levels doesn't dictate much. But statistically people who do A level maths earn 10% more, or so I was told.
Reply 3
... it's also about the combination of a-levels (if you did maths, further maths, and then travel and tourism as a third, you would possibly be disadvantaged next to someone who did maths, further maths and physics, even though you had two subjects in common), the grades you get (an E-grade maths student is probably not more employable than a BTEC student who gets distinctions, even in a 'less profitable' area) and what you do with them. I don't think there's any a-level which, in isolation, is going to mean you'll definitely do better than someone studying some other a-level.

If pushed, I'd say additional further maths - because you have to do regular maths and further maths first, meaning you'd have 3 'traditional' and respected A2s, and you'd have to be very good at maths to be entered for it, so you'd probably have very good grades in maths and further maths already. But it's not that simple on the whole.
Physics and Maths. :smile:
Reply 5
Okay so i take it from your replies that maths will generally get you more money. But then what? The science's? Economics?
Reply 6
Original post by zalwanich
Okay so i take it from your replies that maths will generally get you more money. But then what? The science's? Economics?

these are based on statistics, if youre looking for money long term you should consider a particular career not just a-levels which bring good pay on average.

certain combinations are useful for some jobs.

maths physics history french would be good for law for example which is well payed

maths physics chemistry biology is also very academic but would limit you to more science based careers, but still well payed.

having maths and atleast 1 science will look good in terms of displaying how intelligent you are, assuming the grades are the same whatever your choices for subjects.

pick subjects you'll do well in thats more important as it will affect your grades>uni>job
Reply 7
Original post by delllboy
these are based on statistics, if youre looking for money long term you should consider a particular career not just a-levels which bring good pay on average.

certain combinations are useful for some jobs.

maths physics history french would be good for law for example which is well payed

maths physics chemistry biology is also very academic but would limit you to more science based careers, but still well payed.

having maths and atleast 1 science will look good in terms of displaying how intelligent you are, assuming the grades are the same whatever your choices for subjects.

pick subjects you'll do well in thats more important as it will affect your grades>uni>job

cheers m8
Which A levels, and subsequently degrees, will lead to the best paid professions in general?

Maths and Chemistry (I love chemistry :biggrin: )
Reply 9
Obviously it isn't a good idea to take maths if you don't like it just because, on average, people who do maths get paid more. For choosing your A levels, think about what you enjoy and use the Russel Group guide on which subjects are strong and which are 'weak' subjects.
Reply 10
Original post by ak9779
Obviously it isn't a good idea to take maths if you don't like it just because, on average, people who do maths get paid more. For choosing your A levels, think about what you enjoy and use the Russel Group guide on which subjects are strong and which are 'weak' subjects.

yh but i'd rather take strong good A levels and have good career prospects rather than take film studies coz i enjoy watching films for 2 years
Reply 11
Original post by Fluffy Chuckie
Maths and Chemistry (I love chemistry :biggrin: )

Yeah im doing chemistry too x
Yeah im doing chemistry too x

Good choice! :tongue:
Reply 13
Good choice! :tongue:

chemsitry, maths, biology then i dont know philosophy or psychology wot u think?
chemsitry, maths, biology then i dont know philosophy or psychology wot u think?

Philosophy, will show you are into more than just science :wink:
Reply 15
Philosophy, will show you are into more than just science :wink:

thankyou sir
Reply 16
yh but i'd rather take strong good A levels and have good career prospects rather than take film studies coz i enjoy watching films for 2 years

Which is why I said to use the Russel Group guide which highlights all the strong subjects. From there, you can choose which ones you'd enjoy the most.
Reply 17
No A-level leads to the best job. Having an A-level in Maths isn't going to get you more money just because you have it. People who do Maths at A-level generally go into high paid jobs, such as dentistry, science, medicine, law, etc. However, many of them end up being Maths teachers, which is not highly paid at all and is no better paid than English teaching. This is why looking at just the statistics is a flawed way of answering this question.
Reply 18
Original post by Hylean
No A-level leads to the best job. Having an A-level in Maths isn't going to get you more money just because you have it. People who do Maths at A-level generally go into high paid jobs, such as dentistry, science, medicine, law, etc. However, many of them end up being Maths teachers, which is not highly paid at all and is no better paid than English teaching. This is why looking at just the statistics is a flawed way of answering this question.

This ^^
Reply 19
My personal opinion is that a combination such as : (All A/A* grades)

Maths, Further Maths, Physics & ( Chemistry)

Has the potential to lead to a high paying career, ie going into something financial related which leads to something IB/S&T related could mean a high paying job.

But then again people need to just be aware that a lot of careers/jobs are what you make of it....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending