The Student Room Group

Open University vs Exeter University?

Hi all.

I've just started a history degree with the Open University. I want to go on to do journalism or writing or something along those lines.
However, I've just seen Exeter University has a reputable history department - it's ranked 4th or so in the UK, and in the top 30 in the world (and it's only 10 miles or so from where i live!). So maybe it would look better for applying for jobs - but I'm not sure at this moment.

I dropped out of college for personal reasons, so didn't get to finish my A levels. However, I've been told as long as I've completed level 1, then I can go onto do level 2 and 3 at Exeter.

I wonder from people's experience/knowledge.. would a history degree from Exeter look better than one from the Open University, or would there be little difference in terms of credibility or prospects?
Original post by jonfh1993
Hi all.

I've just started a history degree with the Open University. I want to go on to do journalism or writing or something along those lines.
However, I've just seen Exeter University has a reputable history department - it's ranked 4th or so in the UK, and in the top 30 in the world (and it's only 10 miles or so from where i live!). So maybe it would look better for applying for jobs - but I'm not sure at this moment.

I dropped out of college for personal reasons, so didn't get to finish my A levels. However, I've been told as long as I've completed level 1, then I can go onto do level 2 and 3 at Exeter.

I wonder from people's experience/knowledge.. would a history degree from Exeter look better than one from the Open University, or would there be little difference in terms of credibility or prospects?

Exeter would probably look better, though the Open university is good and its graduates tend to have useful work-related attributes such as motivation, organisation, etc. You need to check with Exeter whether they would accept a Year 2 transfer and what grades they would require - you might have to achieve a 2.1 or better in your first year at the Open University, for example.

Also watch out for Exeter offering you their History course at Penryn. It has far less choice than the degree taught at Exeter itself and in general the lecturers are IMO not in the same league.
Hi all.

Just remember that nowadays you really need work experience. Even if you go to Exeter or do your degree at OU, if you want to become a writer of any sort, you need experience. At that end of the day, that's all it comes down to. Keep that in mind. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Exeter would probably look better, though the Open university is good and its graduates tend to have useful work-related attributes such as motivation, organisation, etc. You need to check with Exeter whether they would accept a Year 2 transfer and what grades they would require - you might have to achieve a 2.1 or better in your first year at the Open University, for example.

Also watch out for Exeter offering you their History course at Penryn. It has far less choice than the degree taught at Exeter itself and in general the lecturers are IMO not in the same league.

Thank you. I've already spoke to them on the phone, and they said I should be able to get in with 60% or more in my first year.
Hi all.

Have you ever considered History at the University of Northampton? In the latest NSS Survey 95% of students were satisfied with the teaching on the course. Take a look here: http://www.northampton.ac.uk/study/courses/courses-by-subject/social-sciences/history-ba-hons

Michelle
Thank you. I've already spoke to them on the phone, and they said I should be able to get in with 60% or more in my first year.

Good, that's the usual requirement.

I would also echo what Quick-use said - you need to get as much writing experience as possible.
Reply 6
Original post by Quick-use
Just remember that nowadays you really need work experience. Even if you go to Exeter or do your degree at OU, if you want to become a writer of any sort, you need experience. At that end of the day, that's all it comes down to. Keep that in mind. :smile:

What you said is very true. I'm working on that at the moment, alongside my studying :smile: I just wanted to know if it would be complimented by an Exeter degree or an OU degree more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending