The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter Penryn Law

Posting on behalf of my child

We are actively considering Penryn Law (with Business) as we (by we, I do mean, my Child does too, absolutely) like the course content. I have few question, appreciate if someone can help

a. Are there any disadvantages in terms of accreditations vs normal LLB?
b. How is it regarded by hiring firms? Exeter is quite high in ranking and well regarded but do hiring firms consider the reputation more or less equivalent.
c. Anyone who has lived London (or Suburbs) and likes City life, how was the transition?
d. Has remote location impacted teacher quality.

Any other generic feedback gratefully acknowledged.

Thanks in advance.
Hello Sgcheam

I have reached out to our Law department and they have answered as follows. I hope it answers your questions.

a. Are there any disadvantages in terms of accreditations vs normal LLB?
No. The degree awarded upon the successful completion of our LLB Law with Business satisfies the academic component of both solicitor and barrister training (in the same way as the LLB of any other institution). It is fully recognised by the Solicitors’ Regulation Authority and Bar Standards Board. The Business School (which delivers the business components of the degree) holds triple accreditation from AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA (known as ‘Triple Crown’ accreditation, enjoyed by the top 1% of global institutions).

b. How is it regarded by hiring firms? Exeter is quite high in ranking and well regarded but do hiring firms consider the reputation more or less equivalent.
The programme is relatively young but, so far, appears to be very well regarded by employers. The geographical distinction (with the LLB with Business programme only existing in Cornwall) is not something which employers tend to know or care about the applicant has an LLB from the University of Exeter. If anything, the addition of business components presents added value, particularly for candidates whose interests lie in commercial fields of law where ‘commercial awareness’ is highly prized.

c. Anyone who has lived London (or Suburbs) and likes City life, how was the transition?
The transition from clty life to life in Cornwall can be difficult. There is no escaping the (rather lovely) reality that Cornwall has no major cities, but the student presence in and around Falmouth has transformed the town and resulted in an increasingly varied array of night life and other extra-curricular activities. The presence of an arts university (Falmouth University) adds to the artistic character of the town, and the major beach (Gyllngvase beach) is extremely popular with students. In addition, student societies promote activities which simply could not be undertaken in major cities (such as surfing, kayaking, sea swimming, coast walking and the like). It is undoubtedly different, but many of our students relish the fact that they spend part of their year (vacation) in a major city and the remainder (term time) beside world renowned coastlines.

d. Has remote location impacted teacher quality.
No. Recruitment has historically been conducted through the Law School or Business School as a whole, and the standards for appointment to positions based in Exeter and in Cornwall are the same. Though many academics in Cornwall are research active (predominantly in fields of environmental law), the strong focus is on teaching and effective pedagogy. Students and academics alike value the comparatively compact numbers on the Cornwall programme (typically around 100 in each year). It creates a closer sense of community which, in turn, enables the teaching of law and business in a more proactive and less traditional manner (for example, by incorporating mock trials into the course itself).
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Hi, I recently completed the law with business course at the Penryn Campus. If I’m being completely honest with you, I would say avoid at all costs. The Penryn campus is absolutely dire and there isn’t much sense of a uni community on the campus due to the lack of space and its remote location. I personally found living in Penryn really hard as it’s so far away from everything and the journey to and from Cornwall is extremely difficult by car or by train. In terms of the course, I would say the modules are extremely limited and there isn’t a lot to chose from in comparison to a lot of other universities. A lot of the activities like mock trials were really poorly run and were also not particularly interesting or exciting. I was really disappointed with my time at this campus/university and I personally wouldn’t recommended. I’m happy to answer any questions if you have any :smile:
Original post by Sunny45678910
Hi, I recently completed the law with business course at the Penryn Campus. If I’m being completely honest with you, I would say avoid at all costs. The Penryn campus is absolutely dire and there isn’t much sense of a uni community on the campus due to the lack of space and its remote location. I personally found living in Penryn really hard as it’s so far away from everything and the journey to and from Cornwall is extremely difficult by car or by train. In terms of the course, I would say the modules are extremely limited and there isn’t a lot to chose from in comparison to a lot of other universities. A lot of the activities like mock trials were really poorly run and were also not particularly interesting or exciting. I was really disappointed with my time at this campus/university and I personally wouldn’t recommended. I’m happy to answer any questions if you have any :smile:

wow - you've put me right off. I was trying to get my head around such a remote location because it was Exeter but I think I'll go Surrey/Sussex/Kent :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
With this thread being a year old its not really relevant to the original poster, but in relation to more recent posts in the thread, I would say that Penryn can be a bit of a marmite location, there are hundreds of students who love the chilled vibe and smaller campus, but equally if you are looking for city life, clubs etc then it might not be for you.

My experience of the LLB course at Penryn has been excellent, with staff who obviously love the subject and go above and beyond to make the course engaging (it is no easy choice and you literally hit the ground running from day one although that would be the same wherever you do this course).

So its a shame if anyone has been put off by one reply (which I absolutely get with regard to the location not being to their taste), open days are always a good way to form an opinion, meeting the staff, spending some time in the surrounding area and speaking with current students.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
I am researching on faculty at Penryn campus for the law course for my brother. Faculty seems to be almost all lecturers. Cannot see any professors or even cannoy find any associate professor, the main campus has many professors.. Why are there no experienced professors, are there any plans to change this @UniofExeterRep 2 ? Without experienced teachers, how can university guarantee quality of education?

@SWWJOHN what do you have to say about inexperienced faculty?
Reply 6
Original post by carloserob
I am researching on faculty at Penryn campus for the law course for my brother. Faculty seems to be almost all lecturers. Cannot see any professors or even cannoy find any associate professor, the main campus has many professors.. Why are there no experienced professors, are there any plans to change this @UniofExeterRep 2 ? Without experienced teachers, how can university guarantee quality of education?

@SWWJOHN what do you have to say about inexperienced faculty?

My experience of the quality of lecturer's and the Law/Business programme at Penryn has been excellent. I also have first hand experience of the way they support disabled students, and again they are extremely supportive in every way. To be frank the only issue I would raise is whether the campus suits your brother or not, its a bit of a marmite location for some, certainly not for someone looking for a busy city life with lots of nightclubs etc, but on the other side of the coin is a really lovely small campus, with excellent supportive lecturers and other staff.

My only other feedback is that the main restaurant is very lacking in quality and variety of food, so consider carefully if considering the catered package, try it first if at all possible (its an open campus so this is possible).

Get to an open day and ask lots of questions, I will be surprised if you are not impressed with any staff member you speak with.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by SWWJOHN
My experience of the quality of lecturer's and the Law/Business programme at Penryn has been excellent. I also have first hand experience of the way they support disabled students, and again they are extremely supportive in every way. To be frank the only issue I would raise is whether the campus suits your brother or not, its a bit of a marmite location for some, certainly not for someone looking for a busy city life with lots of nightclubs etc, but on the other side of the coin is a really lovely small campus, with excellent supportive lecturers and other staff.

My only other feedback is that the main restaurant is very lacking in quality and variety of food, so consider carefully if considering the catered package, try it first if at all possible (its an open campus so this is possible).

Get to an open day and ask lots of questions, I will be surprised if you are not impressed with any staff member you speak with.

Thanks for the feedback. He is not concerned about location as we have considerable business in Cornwall, actually its a preferred location.

I am sure the lecturers are considerate and very good but imho the campus should try and recruit at least some well known profiles. @UniofExeterRep 2 do you have any plans to recruit professor level teachers in the faculty?
Reply 8
Original post by carloserob
Thanks for the feedback. He is not concerned about location as we have considerable business in Cornwall, actually its a preferred location.

I am sure the lecturers are considerate and very good but imho the campus should try and recruit at least some well known profiles. @UniofExeterRep 2 do you have any plans to recruit professor level teachers in the faculty?

Hi its difficult to comment further, but I would say that I would be amazed if there were any plan to change the number of professors working on the undergraduate degree at Penryn. If it is a real concern and he has or expects to get the grades (A*AA-AAA vs LLB at Penryn which is AAB-ABB), I would suggest he applies to the Law course at the Exeter campus. If really keen to attend Penryn then my advice to attend an open day and ask lots of questions still stands.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Sunny45678910
Was the course like a big course and by that I mean was it like packed or there weren’t that much people

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending