The Student Room Group

Exeter vs Cardiff

I'm entering as biomedical science course and i defo wanna do graduate medicine in the future.
Which one is better?
Im international btw
Honestly you would be best off taking a year to reapply directly to medicine, graduate entry medicine is considerably more competitive than standard entry medicine, and even more considerably competitive for international fee paying students. Even for domestic students (for whom there are many more places) graduate entry medicine is not recommended as an aim for school leavers, and they would be best advised to take a gap year and if needed resit exams. As an international student the odds are astronomically against you for graduate entry medicine.

In any event, if you do insist on such a route, neither is better than the other for the purposes of GEM admissions as where you studied is not an important factor in applying to GEM. I don't know if there's a significant difference between them academically for that subject, so I suspect it would really depend on your personal preferences for a uni, how you like each city compared to the other (Cardiff is I think a fair bit bigger than Exeter), costs of living, ease of getting to the uni and transportation links (consider where nearby major international airports are and connections from there to the unis for example!).
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Honestly you would be best off taking a year to reapply directly to medicine, graduate entry medicine is considerably more competitive than standard entry medicine, and even more considerably competitive for international fee paying students. Even for domestic students (for whom there are many more places) graduate entry medicine is not recommended as an aim for school leavers, and they would be best advised to take a gap year and if needed resit exams. As an international student the odds are astronomically against you for graduate entry medicine.

In any event, if you do insist on such a route, neither is better than the other for the purposes of GEM admissions as where you studied is not an important factor in applying to GEM. I don't know if there's a significant difference between them academically for that subject, so I suspect it would really depend on your personal preferences for a uni, how you like each city compared to the other (Cardiff is I think a fair bit bigger than Exeter), costs of living, ease of getting to the uni and transportation links (consider where nearby major international airports are and connections from there to the unis for example!).

Thanks for kind reply
problem is that i didnt do well on my a level
so it's kind of only options to me
do you know which one is considered better?
assuming i might need a plan b of getting a job without going into medicine
Original post by alfodmltk
Thanks for kind reply
problem is that i didnt do well on my a level
so it's kind of only options to me
do you know which one is considered better?
assuming i might need a plan b of getting a job without going into medicine

You can always resit your exams to reapply.

Neither of them is considered better in any general sense. Your employment prospects with the BMS degree if you don't pursue GEM will be dependent on your work experience/internships done during the degree, and how well you perform in psychometric tests/assessment centre exercises/interview. The degree is basically just a tick box in the UK for graduate roles generally.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
You can always resit your exams to reapply.

Neither of them is considered better in any general sense. Your employment prospects with the BMS degree if you don't pursue GEM will be dependent on your work experience/internships done during the degree, and how well you perform in psychometric tests/assessment centre exercises/interview. The degree is basically just a tick box in the UK for graduate roles generally.

Speaking of performances, do you know which uni is easier to study hard? Bc getting first honour degree is very hard but idk which environment would be more encouraging.
i dont have much information abt either uni
Speaking of performances, do you know which uni is easier to study hard? Bc getting first honour degree is very hard but idk which environment would be more encouraging.

In principle it should take about the same amount of effort to get a 1st; in practice it does vary a fair bit. Unfortunately I think it's hard to gauge that for me as I've not studied that course at either university (and my experiences in another department at Exeter may not apply in terms how marking etc is done!). You might be able to find some data on rates of 1st class results but for that specific course at those specific unis you'd probably need to make a FOIA for it which would take at least a month to get back (that kind of data is more widely available for places like Oxford and Cambridge as there's a lot of interest around that for those unis).

Anecdotally, if you need support for disabilities (including mental health conditions), I found Exeter really hit and miss for supporting those when I was there. The Wellbeing Centre was certainly well meaning and what support I got from them was helpful but they were basically swamped with demand for their services limiting how much they could offer. The Accessibility Team were pretty useless as after doing my needs assessment they didn't put into place any of the adjustments they discussed with me. The general administration is also very unhelpful for students in that situation (although I will call out that our department administrator was fantastic).

And if you want a recent objective view, see here a news report from the last two years detailing the failings of the student support system there: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/oct/31/exeter-university-student-harry-armstrong-evans-inquest

And another anecdotal remark here from someone else: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7127265

One of many anecdotal stories about the challenges of fitting in and the microaggressions you will face if you aren't a white and middle-upper-middle class student: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7380160

Just in case you wanted to see some other "recent" experiences than mine - which all tally with my experiences there.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6

Please be aware that advice may be VERY out of date. My students experience of Exeter is very different and always positive.

Either uni would be good but resits might be better as GEM is hard to get into.
Reply 7
https://www.thecourieronline.co.uk/6-page-complaint-to-cardiff-university-for-lack-of-student-support/

"A recent graduate from Cardiff University wrote an open letter on behalf of fellow students outlining her disappointment at the lack of support received while studying.

In her letter, Grace detailed her “damaging” experiences with the Cardiff University Counselling Service. She reached out to student services when her mental health began to impact her studies and she felt she was struggling to cope. "

All unis have complaints ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending