The Student Room Group

An interesting (geometric) way of finding the derivatives of sin(x) and cos(x)

The method I use here was heavily inspired (just like most of Beyoncé's songs) by the one outlined in Tristan Needham's Visual Complex Analysis, where he used a similar way to find the derivative of tanθ\tan{\theta}.

So we start by constructing a right triangle of unit hypotenuse and angle θ\theta. Then the legs would be sinθ\sin{\theta} and cosθ\cos{\theta}. Then if we change the angle by Δθ\Delta\theta, keeping the hypotenuse constant of course, we get something similar to the attached diagram. Δsinθ\Delta\sin{\theta} and Δcosθ\Delta\cos{\theta} represent the change in sinθ\sin{\theta} and cosθ\cos{\theta} respectively, due to the change in the angle.
Fichier_000.jpeg
From the diagram, we can see that as Δθ\Delta\theta becomes infinitely small, the arc Δθ\Delta\theta approaches a straight line (dotted) and the radii (unit hypotenuses) become parallel. Not only that but also the arc/eventual straight line will become perpendicular to BOTH radii. So this small right triangle DCC\bigtriangleup DCC' will eventually have hypotenuse Δθ\Delta\theta.

Angles θ\theta and ACD\angle ACD are congruent as they are alternate angles. And since ACC\angle ACC' is right, mCCD=θm\angle CC'D = \theta. So we can easily deduce the following:
ΔsinθΔθcosθ    limΔθ0ΔsinθΔθ=dsinθdθ=cosθ\displaystyle \frac{\Delta\sin{\theta}}{\Delta \theta} \approx \cos{\theta} \implies \lim_{\Delta\theta\rightarrow 0} \frac{\Delta\sin{\theta}}{\Delta \theta} = \frac{d \sin{\theta}}{d \theta}=\cos{\theta} , and
ΔcosθΔθsinθ    limΔθ0ΔcosθΔθ=dcosθdθ=sinθ\displaystyle \frac{\Delta\cos{\theta}}{\Delta \theta} \approx -\sin{\theta} \implies \lim_{\Delta\theta\rightarrow 0} \frac{\Delta\cos{\theta}}{\Delta \theta} = \frac{d \cos{\theta}}{d \theta}= -\sin{\theta} .
That negative sign comes from the fact that cosθ\cos{\theta} decreased here.
Done!

Hope you found it interesting!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gagafacea1
The method I use here was heavily inspired (just like most of Beyoncé's songs) by the one outlined in Tristan Needham's Visual Complex Analysis,

It's interesting to hear of a singer who draws on mathematics as the wellspring of her creativity. This is unusual and the only similar example with which I'm familiar was Elvis:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/elvis$20physics/sci.physics/HrhBPS8_N_4/Ufe9q2SXZ_wJ
Original post by atsruser
It's interesting to hear of a singer who draws on mathematics as the wellspring of her creativity. This is unusual and the only similar example with which I'm familiar was Elvis:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/elvis$20physics/sci.physics/HrhBPS8_N_4/Ufe9q2SXZ_wJ

lmaoooooo but actually meant that her songs are heavily inspired, not inspired by complex analysis. Though she does have "1+1" (song)!
Original post by gagafacea1
Tristan Needham's Visual Complex Analysis

This is an excellent book - it's my favourite on complex analysis.
Original post by Brit_Miller
This is an excellent book - it's my favourite on complex analysis.

FINALLY! :awesome: Somebody else who appreciates this book. I've always liked the idea of complex numbers, but this book just made me LOVE them. As a non-undergraduate, I found it really nice and easy to navigate without all the rigor that I don't have the time for.

Quick Reply

Latest